Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-20-2014, 11:40 AM

Default Couple exploring pics

I went up the line that I am in the middle of purchasing and did some exploration. I took a few pics that I thought i would share. Anyone know what the track it with the 22 mag shell beside it? Muskrat? Wouldn't think there would be any rats in a pine forested area. I am thinking Marten

One was of a nice sized Griz track and nearby he had a rubbing tree that seemed to have been used for a few years with a lot of hair on it.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:21 PM

I haven't seen many but I think it looks like raccoon it's not Martin
Old 05-20-2014, 02:07 PM

hard to tell, but the grizz prints i see have alot more claw/claws showing.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Do u think it is a mink track?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Do u think it is a mink track?
There definitly NOT mink. Being a pad appears to show very faintly in the sand I would venture to guess they are porcupine tracks.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:32 PM

Here is a link I found to some mink tracks by doing a search. The tracks look like they were made by water. I would bet they are mink. Just do a Google of mink tracks, very similar. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=mink+tracks
Old 05-20-2014, 03:42 PM

They were on the wash-up sides of a small 10m wide stream with steep banks. The tracks were made in a few spots. Definetly not Porcupine as a porcupine would not go in a spot like that and the tracks were not big enough. You could see small pads
Old 05-20-2014, 04:10 PM

Looks like coon to me!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 05-20-2014, 04:39 PM

From what I gather where Nube is, I highly doubt there is a coon anywhere near there. They're mink.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:14 PM

Default tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Looks like coon to me!
Yep I going with coon,seen lots of those tracks when I trapped back east,coon for sure
Old 05-20-2014, 06:04 PM

You guys really think there are coon by Fox Creek? Also that is a 22 mag shell for size. I would think a coon would be bigger don't you think?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 PM

SasQuatch.....
Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
Yep I going with coon,seen lots of those tracks when I trapped back east,coon for sure
Coon tracks , got fresh ones just like it here in my yard .
Old 05-20-2014, 06:48 PM

I have heard of racoons being pretty far north. wouldn't doubt it.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 PM

Raccoon tracks are generally side by side, seldom one in front of the other and they're a lot bigger than a .22 shell. Raccoon at Fox Creek, highly doubt it. Set a trap for mink next year Nube and I'll bet you catch him.

Last edited by tonnage; 05-20-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 PM

World record sized mink I think not.100% coon
Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Banned

i was going to guess juvenile porky but just a guess. what i find interesting is that there are no books to rent at edm. public library on animal tracks and halfords did not have a good one to buy. thought it would be handy to have a book or field pamphlet on animal tracks.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 PM

.22 shell makes it a world record-sized mink? A coon can weigh more than 22-pounds and has a track considerably larger than a .22 shell. I've caught a lot of mink and that sure looks like a mink track to me. And Fox Creek is definitely out of their range from any book I've ever seen, including the Alberta Trappers Association training manual.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
They were on the wash-up sides of a small 10m wide stream with steep banks. The tracks were made in a few spots. Definetly not Porcupine as a porcupine would not go in a spot like that and the tracks were not big enough. You could see small pads
I'm not the brightess guy, but why would a small porky not cross a creek bed to get to the timber on the other side? And, why would a mink climb the bank rather than travel up or down the creek looking for prey?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 PM

Default Mink

Mink for sure. Coon tracks are a lot bigger than that, yote sized. Not narrow enough for a muskrat. Mink live in the banks, not in the water. Though they are always in the water. Caught my first one 200 yards from water.

Spruce
Old 05-20-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
I'm not the brightess guy, but why would a small porky not cross a creek bed to get to the timber on the other side? And, why would a mink climb the bank rather than travel up or down the creek looking for prey?
You would have to be there to see the terrain to understand it was not a place a porcupine would travel. Personally I think a coon track would be bigger than a 22 mag shell. The more I have looked at tracks online I think it is a mink.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 AM
Banned

Raccoon !!!! Has to be with fingers like that ...
Old 05-21-2014, 12:53 AM

Funny thing about this track is if you now what an actual coon track looks like this is what separates guys that no and don't no.this is the front pad of the coon track pad I believe the heel pad always lays a very suttle track because of very light pressure wile walking problem is its missing one toe to be a coon.and It is quite a bit longer then the 22mag shell the back of the pad carys on another 5/8-3/4" almost parallel with the front of the rock so I'd say this track with out heel pad is 2-2 1/4" because I just measured a 22mag shell and it's an 1 3/8. got some big mink over the years but if it is it's a cranker world record with really enlongated toe nailes for a mink.and whose to say a coon can't be a yearling,guys sayin it's to big.just my observations is all but definatly a 1/3 to 1/2 bigger then any mink track on front and back feet I've ever skinned around.dont no much for tracks outside of southern AB but if it is a coon it is missing one toe.just my observation again,toes are way to spread out as well to be a mink.all I no is it resembles a coon a lot more then any mink track I've seen
Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Banned

LOl, yes it's true. Don't take my word for it, haven't seen a coon in BC yet lol
Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 AM

coon track for sure. we never had coons here a few years back now there are lots of them. they are starting to move into your area.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 AM

I still say porcupine, long toes and claws for climbing and 4 toes on front foot and 5 on the hind foot is typical of a porky. Also, barely visible, large elongated pad on back foot and much shorter pad on front foot.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:55 AM

Default track

Guys, I say mink. This is terrible for a trapping forum when we cannot recognize a animal track. I guess we didnt spend enough time on animal track identification before we wrote our trapping exam. I hope animal rights people don't read the thread.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:37 AM

need more pics showing the animals gate.

i'ld rather see pics/questions about tracks and such. than pics of critters hanging by their feet, from trees. wondering why demand is only from one country and why demand is down.

lets not become those guys.

your going to have a long summer nube. exploring,planning,prepping,dreaming,ect. your going to have fun!!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, I say mink. This is terrible for a trapping forum when we cannot recognize a animal track. I guess we didnt spend enough time on animal track identification before we wrote our trapping exam. I hope animal rights people don't read the thread.
what wolf said. i have not taken trapping course or studied any animal track books, and almost all my hunting and trapping experiance has been on the prairie where you don't see many of the rarer tracks (fischer, martin etc.) that you would find up north or closer to the rockies, but you'd think someone on this forum would be able to positively i.d. those tracks, as it's a pretty good pic.
i also think that if it is a juvenile (porky? badger?) it might also make id more difficult.
thanks for the fun thread nube. everyone has been focused on that track pic. and let me be the first to say what a nice looking line you might have there and good luck next winter. going to be interesting to see how it works out considering it must be quite a drive to check the line on a reg. basis.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 PM

Starting to question my original thought of racoon .. would be nice to see the pad a little better and toes might not be long enough for a coon , even a small one .