Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 01:49 PM

Default Shooting Squirrels

Guys, another question for you about squirrels. I do plan on setting up snares for them but was wondering what you use if you come across one? Was thinking about shooting it but a .22LR would leave a big hole. Has anyone tried those .22WMR shotshells with #12 shot in them? Saw them at wholesale the other day. They look pretty neat....if it's legal to use them to shoot squirrel while trapping? Should only make a couple pin sized holes (depending on the distance). I see on the CCI website that they make the same shotshells in .22LR as well. Even better if you can use them. Just need to find out who carries them in .22LR now.

Any experience/thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by uke hunter; 08-28-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Default size is #12 shot

about same size as pepper so you had better be real close. Under 20 feet you may have a chance. I think they would be good for rattlers in the US at 5 feet or shooting pigeons in a barn so you dont do damage to roof.
Also tend to clog up rifling in 22 rifles if not smoothbore intended for shot shells.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:10 PM

Was planning on using them in my Ruger Single Six revolver. Not much rifling to plug up....unlike a long gun.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Banned

I haven't been shooting squirrels but I did shoot numerous muskrats in the Spring. All head shots with my 22LR using solid bullets (as opposed to hollow points). Squirrels are case skinned fur in so even minimal damage to the pelt will be seen.

I intend to carry a 22 WMR with solid bullets with me while trapping and if I do decide to shoot squirrels, it will only be head shots or I'll just leave them be. Damaged squirrel pelts can't be worth much, if anything.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 PM

I wouldn't bother with them unless they are not shot.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post
Was planning on using them in my Ruger Single Six revolver. Not much rifling to plug up....unlike a long gun.
I used that combination for sparrows in the garage but it would be a pretty weak load for squirrels.
You'd have be pretty close.
Use shorts and go for head shots.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I used that combination for sparrows in the garage but it would be a pretty weak load for squirrels.
You'd have be pretty close.
Use shorts and go for head shots.

X2

Or use a slingshot with marbles.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 PM

IMO I think it would be a waste of money of a shot. 0.50$ squirrel pelt. Unless snared I don't think they are worth the price of the shot. Like weasel a 0.80$ weasel can drop pretty quickly to a 0.02$ weasel if the hide has damage. Not much area to work with.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 AM
AO Sponsor

I've shot a bunch of magpies at about 30 feet with the bird shot, but the birdshot is dang expensive for collecting squirrel pelts? Seems to me $15 per box of 50 = $0.30 per shot?

Get yourself a high power pellet gun, I have one that'll go right thru a 2x4, cheap ammo, small hole. I'll sell you mine, bought it for my kid, she never used it around the acreage because it is a firearm.

You could try the cci low velocity stuff too, the cb long or the cb shorts. Regular .22 ammo long rifle stuff is going to mess them up. We need a .22 FMJ.

(On that note I just did a google search on 22 fmj and a knowledgeable source explained why there will never be a 22 fmj, not safe to use in old rifles. However the good news, you can buy 17 HMR FMJ. Anybody use them on squirrels or rats?)

Last edited by Marty S; 08-29-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I've shot a bunch of magpies at about 30 feet with the bird shot, but the birdshot is dang expensive for collecting squirrel pelts? Seems to me $15 per box of 50 = $0.30 per shot?

Get yourself a high power pellet gun, I have one that'll go right thru a 2x4, cheap ammo, small hole. I'll sell you mine, bought it for my kid, she never used it around the acreage because it is a firearm.

You could try the cci low velocity stuff too, the cb long or the cb shorts. Regular .22 ammo long rifle stuff is going to mess them up. We need a .22 FMJ.

(On that note I just did a google search on 22 fmj and a knowledgeable source explained why there will never be a 22 fmj, not safe to use in old rifles. However the good news, you can buy 17 HMR FMJ. Anybody use them on squirrels or rats?)
I think they would mess squirrels up to much
Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 AM

[
(On that note I just did a google search on 22 fmj and a knowledgeable source explained why there will never be a 22 fmj, not safe to use in old rifles. However the good news, you can buy 17 HMR FMJ. Anybody use them on squirrels or rats?)[/QUOTE]

The .17HMR FMJ's literally blow up a gopher, empties them out for about a foot along the ground. Way more destructive than a .22LR.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:26 PM

like others have said dont waste your time shooting them a good prime snared one is only about a buck a damaged one 30-40 cents i sent some head shot ones in last year and ave about that.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I must have missed the change that allows hunting with a handgun.

Be sure you have a trapping license as well as a carry permit.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-31-2014, 02:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Back in the sixties I was going to school and living at home.
My only source of income was trapping, there were no businesses close enough for me to get a job there.

I was too young to have my own trapline so I trapped Squirrel and Weasel around the farm/ homestead. It was the only fur available to me at the time.

I did snare a lot of squirrel but I shot even more. The cartridge of choice was .22 short but if they weren't available we would use .22LR

The only viable alternative that we could find was a pellet gun. We liked the .177 size while others preferred the .22 pellet guns. Both worked rather well at short range, under forty feet.
Keep in mind that all we had for pellet guns were the cheep kids toys of the day. They had a muzzle velocity of about 400 fps when in good condition.
They worked, but not very well.

Todays' 1,000 fps pellet guns should be more then enough for squirrel hunting.

I did try .22 shot shells back then, they were useless. Todays' .22 shot shells are more powerful but not powerful enough for Squirrel in my experience.

Like others have said, .22 shorts and aim for the eye. A head shot does not hurt the value of the pelt.

If that seems too much for you, I'd highly recommend one of the high powered 1,000 fps pellet guns available these days.

Most of your shots will likely be under forty foot range anyway.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-31-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Since when can you use a handgun outside of an approved range?

LC
Old 08-31-2014, 07:38 PM

Default Nut jobs

My boy has shot around thirty a year around the cabin and the average is seventy five cents. Just enuf to keep him in shells.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
where have you been? dispatch and protection.

posting pics/threads of hero shots on squrels and grouse. deer with a 44 mag. will insure that none of use ever get a permit again.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Saw this the other day. That was the first I've heard of it also.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=226483
Old 09-03-2014, 02:00 PM

Growing up I used to use .22 shorts. Always aim for the eye to get a through and through shot.
I recently picked up some .22lr low velocity rounds. These have been working really well for me. I take the squirrel in the eye and the exit hole is minimal as well. Also any holes above the earline are safe.

Have Fun!