Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 09:20 AM

Default Cypress hills elk

I did not win the first hunt for antlered elk in Cypress hills. Would have easily won last years first hunt with a priority 12 but no luck now with a '13'. I am wondering if an error occurred with the switch from "either sex' to "antlered" status for this hunt and I got entered with a "0" instead of "13" priority. Perhaps a lot of other hunters now put in for this new opportunity with their high priority antlered elk status....Anybody got notes to compare?????????
Old 07-07-2020, 09:45 AM

Seems weird you didn't get drawn looking at the draw results for the Nov 2- Nov 6 first hunt you were 100% as a Priority 9 and even some 8's got drawn maybe a mistake on applications?

There were some very high priorities that entered some of the draws this year I a noticing that for sure as I missed my bull elk draw on a priority 11 and thought I would have a chance this year.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:08 AM

I also didn't get drawn for the first hunt and I had a 17 Priority. I wonder if the old priority didn't get applied! Time to phone AlbertaRELM!
Old 07-07-2020, 11:06 AM

Surprise surprise, I knew they'd screw this up

How are they going to fix this one? Under the 2020 draw summaries, and under antlered elk, they don't have the first season listed.

You guys wouldn't have been able to apply if they didn't have tags allotted.

I bet that phone is ringin' off the hook
Old 07-07-2020, 11:12 AM

Under draw summary code 858- WMU 116, 118 , 119 & 624 Nov 2- Nov 6 2020.

Is that not the first season? It in the summary
Old 07-07-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Under draw summary code 858- WMU 116, 118 , 119 & 624 Nov 2- Nov 6 2020.

Is that not the first season? It in the summary
You're right Byron, i didn't see it because the second season is way below it at 911. Why they wouldn't group them together in the summaries is beyond me.

Either way, there were guys with higher priority that weren't awarded the hunt. What a rodeo
Old 07-07-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJPFISH View Post
I also didn't get drawn for the first hunt and I had a 17 Priority. I wonder if the old priority didn't get applied! Time to phone AlbertaRELM!
I finally got through to AlbertaRELM and was advised that my previous priority 17 for Either Sex Elk (Draw Code 41) for some reason did not get transferred over to Antlered Elk (DRaw Code 18) for the Cypress Hills first season (858). I have been promised a phone call to sort it all out. I'm expecting a tag, which likely means that someone with a lower priority will lose out or may be they will just re-draw. I'll send out an update, if/when, I hear back.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I finally got through to AlbertaRELM and was advised that my previous priority 17 for Either Sex Elk (Draw Code 41) for some reason did not get transferred over to Antlered Elk (DRaw Code 18) for the Cypress Hills first season (858). I have been promised a phone call to sort it all out. I'm expecting a tag, which likely means that someone with a lower priority will lose out or may be they will just re-draw. I'll send out an update, if/when, I hear back.
My assumption is that they will just give you a tag and leave it at that. They will not just call someone and say yeah you dont have it anymore. You cant put the toothpaste back into the tube. Its no big deal if they have 16 tags vs 15.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:43 AM

I have also emailed Minister Nixon to get the ball rolling on that end. The fact that the call center flat out lied to me and said that their was a 4 year window described in the draw booklet is completely unacceptable. They told me that because she hadnt applied for over 4 years the priority shouldnt roll over. They cannot make up rules that essentially make my priority expire. I told her the reason was due to life circumstances. With young kids it was tough to get out there to do the hunt when it is 3 hours away. She had been putting in for elk in a closer area for the last 4 years with the full intention that she would use those points at a later time when the kids were older.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I finally just received the following email resonse from AlbertaRELM:
"Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for the inconvenience you’re experiencing. I see that you have called in and the case has been escalated for an answer. We will get back to you as soon as we get the answer on what happened." I'm not holding my breath. I am now sending an email to Minister Nixon and my MLA.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:48 AM

Got a call yesterday. The lady offered to give me 2 priority points for their error. I declined. I know Im gonna win next years first hunt with a "14'...the extra point is just an insult. I told her to just repeat the draw. Was told "no" that would take away from their "legitimacy". Its a little late for that.

So theyre gonna call all 21 folks who got screwed, get their opinions etc...The whole idea that they're gonna f--k over 21 people in the hopes that the 15 or so who unexpectantly won with their lower priorities don't get their feelings hurt sure ****es me off.

I made an offer...I will accept a tag in my home WMU for another species to be hunted in November. This draw takes about 4 years to win. I also stated that my P2 for that hunt will remain as such...This tag will be to replace the Elk hunt I got f----d out of.

This ones personal...I hunted in cypress in 2006. A 4 day hunt back then. Missed the first day...my fathers funeral. Was a bit cool to doing this hunt again...brings back alot of memories and all. Got a cow last morning of that hunt. Felt ready to do it this year...Not happening now. Was hoping "we" could get a bull this time...
Old 07-16-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I finally just received the following email resonse from AlbertaRELM:
"Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for the inconvenience you’re experiencing. I see that you have called in and the case has been escalated for an answer. We will get back to you as soon as we get the answer on what happened." I'm not holding my breath. I am now sending an email to Minister Nixon and my MLA.
I also got a call yesterday. I was told they had 23 calls to make
and he admitted that Alberta RELM messed up transferring certain Either Sex Elk priorities over to the Antlered Elk Draw - my priority 17 included. We talked around my options - extending my 17 priority to next year, selecting another wmu, the late Cypress Hills season, etc. I told him that I didn’t wait 17 years for a Cypress Hills first season tag just to have AlbertaRELM mess it up. This season worked for me and I wanted the tag I was due. I was verbally promised a Cypress Hills antlered elk tag for the first season for which I thanked him. A confirmation should arrive in few days. Unfortunately I understand that they will be just increasing the number of tags offered. I wish they would just do a re-draw to make it fully fair for everyone.