Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 AM

Default My hunt ruined by a woman

Got a bit of a late start yesterday but still managed to find where the three bucks that I have been watching were going to hide for the afternoon.

All these leaves on the ground are making it tough to get in close. I had managed to close the gap to about 55 yards.The bucks had no idea that I was there and best of the group was the closest to me.

Just then I caught movment to my right. A young curious doe decided to come see what I was. I was laying down and just went still. She was about 5-10 yards away walking back and forth. The wind was good and she could not figure me out. Just when I thought she was going to bugger off she spooked and took my bucks with her.

I just cant seem to brake the 50 yard mark on these bucks. I dont have enough confidence yet to take the 45-50 yard shot.

Any body got any tips on closing that last 15-20 yards.

Hilgy
Old 10-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Banned

Close the distance with a 168 grain Nosler combined technologies bullet fired from a .30-06.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Have you practiced at 50 yds? I got a new bow and it will put a decent group in at 60 yds... my old bow kept m to 35-40 yrd max... try some 50yrd practice shots... may surprise you.
good luck

Last edited by silverado7; 10-24-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post
Close the distance with a 168 grain Nosler combined technologies bullet fired from a .30-06.
Cheater
Old 10-24-2008, 12:21 PM

Ha ha ha on both the story and the response.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:58 PM

Belly crawl while their heads are down grazing. Try a small piece of camoflage like a ghillie rag or cam netting on top of your hat to help break the shape of your head. I kept my helmet scrim when I got out of the army. Works great as it distorts the deer's perspective of the neck, head and hat that often gives away the hunter's position.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:03 PM

practice at 60-70 yrds and 40-50 will become easy.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

yup, more pins and shoot further....its just as easy as 40 yrds to shoot 60 imo...you just need more pins.....wish i was doing that sooner...but learned the same lesson your learning way too many times.....so pay attention Hilgy! and get some more pins!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Trust me if I had a MD draw in this zone a 150g nosler would have already solved the problem.

SC, I've got the pins just not the balls to take the long shots yet. I have shot out to 60 and can shoot decent groups but just no confidence yet. I guess no guts no glory eh.

Anybody have any luck with ground blinds for mulies??? I think this might be the answer.

Hilgy
Old 10-24-2008, 04:59 PM

scared me for a minute..... ha ha
Old 10-24-2008, 05:20 PM

Smile

I've got no complaints about the girls. With the exception of two of my bucks they helped me connect on a lot of whitetails.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:40 PM

Wow we have some regular Archie Nesbits here!!!! IMHO 100 yard pins are unethical but thats just me.

If you arn't confident don't try to be a hero. My best friend can put 20 + arrows in the kill zone at 60 yards. Shoots a newer bowtech. He wouldn't shoot 50 yards either. Contrary to the way some people are posting there is a big difference between a target at 100 yards and a shooter mulie buck at 25 yards.

Sure if you are willing to shoot 60 at that big boy you will get him, but your likely to injure a few first.

There are Hunters and there are Shooters, which are you?

Have you tried calling? Some sort of attractant? Maybe a one night stand with a nearby tree if you are regularly seeing the deer near.

Sounds like your not doing to shabbie to me. Doubt I could get within 50. With MD spot and stalk is the method of choice IMHO.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Tough call, situation dictates everything. With leaves on the ground, stalking would be a tough way to close the deal,,,, being selective that is. Sounds like your havin fun. Keep f-in with him and guaranteed you will eventually arrow him.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 PM

Default Krissy, Krissy, Krissy, tisk, tisk, tisk !!!

Here's a suggestion, Meathead !! Throw them sharp sticks away, & nail'em with a rifle !!! Oh ya, ive seen you shoot, you'd be doin good to him those Bucks at 45-50 yards, with a rifle either !! Oh well better luck next year !!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliscroft View Post
Here's a suggestion, Meathead !! Throw them sharp sticks away, & nail'em with a rifle !!! Oh ya, ive seen you shoot, you'd be doin good to him those Bucks at 45-50 yards, with a rifle either !! Oh well better luck next year !!
LMAO
But seriously now. Good for you for not just shooting and hoping.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Hey Williscroft I didnt know you could spell meathead. Trust me if I could use a gun it would all be over. I'm really starting to like this bow hunting stuff though.

Back at it tommorrow am. I may try to sit at an intersection of a couple trails and catch them coming back to bed. If not it will be spot and stalk mid morning.

By the way Williscroft who got a lesson the last time we had the pistols out!!!!

Hilgy
Old 10-27-2008, 03:48 AM

Just what worked for me......I use a K'Meer Deer Call, its kinda of a squeak, best way to describe it. I've had bucks get out of their beds and come up within 20 yards to check it out, curiosity deal I think.
Works best with the shooter about 25 yards ahead and off to the side of the caller, it really does work!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Contrary to the way some people are posting there is a big difference between a target at 100 yards and a shooter mulie buck at 25 yards.

The funniest part is, that if these guys could really shoot as well as they say, they'd all be world record holders! Shoot a 4" group @ 50m? All the time? Congrats, you've just beat the best in the world! I've come to realize, when people start talking on the internet about thier shooting skills they usually don't have to back it up. These are usually the same guys that show up at Jack's Place or the Mother of All Shoots, place 25th in a field of 20 and then tell everyone that they were aiming for the (true kill shots). Oddly, if you were shooting with them, you'd realise the guy thinks that shoulder blades, guts & butts on broadsides were kill shots. They'll also tell you the kill zone isn't realistic on the the plastic! Well trust me kids, it's a lot closer to reality than you want to believe! Plus they can't guess yardage to save thier life and 1/2 thier problem starts with the 350 fps bow they can't shoot to begin with! They just flat out SUCK and won't admit it to themselves.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 AM

Higgly I have to agree with Russ and commend you for knowing when to pass the odds of a bad shot increase greatly with added yardage not just string jump as even with the fastest bows on the market the noise still reaches the animal in less than half the time of the arrow. I asked permission at 4 different ranches this year all said yes for the rifle but no to bow because of wounded dying animals with arrows stuck in them one told of an elk and the infection and stench as it lay not yet dead just back of the yard. They said no more bow hunting. I am not slamming those who feel they can that is a personal and ethical choice of the individual. I am thinking you should be proad of your season to this point and of your control bow hunting is rewarding just for the close encounters you will remember them as much as any kill over the years they are fun and intense
Old 10-27-2008, 07:29 AM

Heres something a little more constructive for you Hilgy, I've always had better luck with whitetails using ground blinds & treestands. (however I did take my 1st 2 whitetails off the ground) I find ground blinds need to be scrimmed up really well if I'm hunting them as soon as they're put up. Break the outline with natural cover as best as possible, and it's really important to play the wind. (no matter what the blind manufacturer says ) I like leaving the screens in so I use fixed blade heads & feathers for that reason. Remember to still be slow & deliberate in the blind so that you can be as quiet as possible, I've ruined 3 good chances from my blind this fall with impatience & noise.

Now as far as tree stands go, if you're hunting in an area with big straight trees, get a climber and learn how to use it (with a friend around). I finally bought one late this fall and even though I can literally count the number of trees I can use it on where I hunt in eastern Alberta. I can't wait til next year to start using this thing (with some practice.) Whatever you do, spend the extra cash and get a sit & climb! Hand climbers can be a cow to use, especially for a fat guy like me with a buggered up left shoulder.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 AM

Thanks guys,

Russ, I think that I have come up with a couple spots for a blind or stand. Just in last couple days a massive rub line has shown up and it has a couple great ambush sites.

To bad the mulie season ends in a couple days out there. Oh well time to start planning for next year.

I will probably still put together a couple ground blinds and get some video this year and then the blinds will already be there next year. Talked to the land owner and he doesnt mind.

I was thinking of using some burlap with mesh windows built in and then just wire some natural cover to the burlap.

I'll probably put up a couple so depending on wind I can chose my stand.

Any other ideas on blind building????

Hilgy
Old 10-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Hilgy, after spending considerable amounts of time building blinds that were noisy and expensive. I went to Cabelas.com (the US sight) and bought a Primos Ground Max Extreme Matrix for $150 US by the time you get it to your door. It's a way better solution in the long run. If you can afford it, latch on to a double bull. They're expensive but have some features that the cheaper blinds just don't have like magnets holding in the windows.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 AM

Not every Mule Deer is Huntable in my opinion. Blown stalks make for smarter deer and more alert deer. The best success I have had, is patterning deer, many hours spent with the spotting score and watching the deer from 1/2 mile or better. This way the deer are unaware of your presence. I thoughly believe your first chance is your best chance. After I've spotted the deer for 2-3 night I like to slip in early and sit in my Eastman X5 blind which I took my mule deer out of this year. If you place them just into the tree's acouple of yards the deer won't pay you any attention, with a little scent control that is.

Last edited by Trophy Hunter; 10-27-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

i think i have eastman pop up blinds too, seen and or bought them from crappy tire and jim bows...like the double bull but half the price, love mine, had whitetails within bow range same day set up, whitetails don't like black holes (use the mesh for them) but muley's and the rest don't seem as fussy (leave the mesh down)

i find using a deer body target the best for building your confidence on the longer practice.....much easier to put the pin on a kill zone of a deer target than bobbing around a little circle on a bag target(or block target)....much easier....you shoot longer so your maximum effective range gets longer.....this range is generally shorter than as far as you practice, i practiced to 90 the past couple years, i hit the kill zone most out to 70, i've killed 3 pope muleys between 42 and 57 yrds now (and one at 35)......that kind of long practice makes those ranges much more doable in field conditions...

your gear will tell you how far you can go too....poorly tuned/set up gear won't get you in the kill zone of your buck target as far as well tuned gear...you'll find your limits no prob if you practice that way......and then making the transition to a real deer is simple....oh, forgot to say that i practice broadheads only....so absolutely nothing changes from when i move from the buck target to the real buck.....

its way easier than many make is sound......just gotta be like nike and 'do it'
Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 PM

Thanks SC,

My plans for next year are exactly that, shoot longer so the 45-50 range is no problem.
For now my bow is shooting well so i'm not going to screw with it.

I guess i have a couple things to add to my xmas list.

Hilgy
Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 PM

Thumbs up

You should be commended and proud for NOT shooting beyond your confidence level. That is a fine stalk. Too bad about the doe, that's all. You'll get your buck.