Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2008, 05:09 PM

Default Just some pictures...

I took these today. This was the best buck I saw a nice 4x3. Also it was with a small 4x4 with an arrow sticking out. It did NOT appear to have any problems. It is NOT my arrow.

I also shot my first partridge for the year. I love bird hunting...just need a new shotgun.

Notice the arrow...

Old 10-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Hoochie Papa

Nice pics, but also a little disturbing. Kind of cool to see something like that.
I'm sure the deer will just spit that out like a sliver. It doesn't appear to be in there very far. I wonder what the circumstances leading up to it were?
Tried to shoot through too much brush in the way?
200 yards= I bet I can get closer than you?

Someones bow misfired while he was cleaning it?

Thanks for posting
Old 10-18-2008, 05:31 PM

interesting, thanks for posting... just a thought did some one shoot a different buck and that one was behind and got hit from the the arrow exiting a different deer? draw weight wayyy to light?

Bass

PS> is it just me or does thats arrow look like it is near the spine????
Old 10-18-2008, 06:10 PM

G'Day Lads,

Being from Australia, if we come across an injured animal, we put it down as we have no seasons or tags and we don't have weapons restrictions.

Please understand, I am not questioning anyones ethics, I would just like to know what I am expected to do if I come across a similar situation.

My questions are,

If I seen this critter am I expected to do my best to put it down, am I permitted to use a firearm (if in bow season or bowzone) and does that cost me my tag.

Or am I expected to leave the critter in that condition till I or someone else calls in F & G to handle it?

If this was on Private Land, is the Land Owner permitted to cull this animal (for obvious reasons)?

That is a nice looking Buck in the first pics BTW.

Cheers Noel
Old 10-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor View Post
G'Day Lads,

Being from Australia, if we come across an injured animal, we put it down as we have no seasons or tags and we don't have weapons restrictions.

Please understand, I am not questioning anyones ethics, I would just like to know what I am expected to do if I come across a similar situation.

My questions are,

If I seen this critter am I expected to do my best to put it down, am I permitted to use a firearm (if in bow season or bowzone) and does that cost me my tag.

Or am I expected to leave the critter in that condition till I or someone else calls in F & G to handle it?

If this was on Private Land, is the Land Owner permitted to cull this animal (for obvious reasons)?

That is a nice looking Buck in the first pics BTW.

Cheers Noel

Noel
I have a tag (general muledeer) which means I can only hunt with a bow down south (southern alberta). Even though I saw this buck...even I couldn't shoot it with a rifle. But I could shoot it with my bow just like any other deer and use my tag.
So to answer your question...just call fish and wildlife. Tell them where it is and they will deal with it. If you shoot it...it will be considered poaching.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:37 PM

HOTB,

Thanks for the reply, that clears it up for me. I guess it is the only way that they can keep a lid on poaching eh.

Thanks again.

Cheers Noel
Old 10-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Default Poor hunter

Unless the shot was downhill and I am only guessing it wasn't, it looks to me that some bowhunter with limited experience and even less brains lobbed a shot in on that deer. In other words it was way out of his or her effect range and was a fluke they even hit it now that deer is running around with an arrow sticking out of it giving bow and all hunters a bad name for everyone that sees it!! Pretty sad.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned

Default bowhunting

What is really sad is your obvious lack of knowlege about bowhunting. Ever heard of a treestand?????????????? Lobing a shot, you really don't have a clue do you???
Old 10-19-2008, 06:27 PM

Default Mulie With The Arrow!!

Thats too bad for that deer.I hate to see any animal suffer.There are manys ways you could think of what happened here but for any of us to condem someone is wrong.We dont know what happened, so until someone who made the shot tells us what happened we just as well not say anything.It could of been a very close shot and glanced off a scrub or tree too so for anyone to say he was to far and lobing it in is not fair to the archer who shot it.Thats the problem with todays socitey is everyone is so quick to judge without knowing the facts.It makes me

Has anyone mabey took a shot they wished they would not of. I bet almost everyone on this site has or missed there target all together.Does that make them a terrible person or someone that gives bowhunters a bad name?I missed a beautiful bull elk this year,Give him a hair cut.If my shot is 4" lower i hit that bull and i gauarente i dont find him.Does that make me a bad person .I dont think so.There was nothing in the way and he was totally broadside the perfect shot that i blew.Its Hunting something that we dont want to do is wound a animal but its apart of hunting.Get over it...
Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM

I agree with Bit Runner that animal doesnt seem to be bleeding at all and it looks like the arrow is hardly in. I think the hunter shot, got unlucky the deer ran and didn`t leave a trail to follow whats the hunter to do? Stop hunting because he made a bad shot thats horse ****! every single bow hunter or rifle hunter has mad a shot that wasn`t perfect or exact on and to condem him for a mistake really shows how people now a days support others.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Years ago my uncle had a hide taned and there was two scars in it from broad heads.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM

I knew it was coming......judgement day lol. Somebody made a bad connection with that deer. There is too many variables to even start to try to explain it. That is all there is to it...........so why make stuff up? People miss animals all the time and people hit animals all the time......sometimes in a place where they didn't intend to hit it. Could have been an olympic archer who made that shot as opposed to someone with limited experience. All those shots that are clean misses.....they could have been wounding shots.........bullets or arrows.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 AM
jrs

Deer can heal up from an arrow wound very easily. I shot a buck 3 years ago that ended up having half an arrow and a broadhead anchored in the rear quarters. It was fully healed, no green/discolored meat. I figured it was from the fall before or even earlier. Couldn't even see a scar on the hide. I know another guy that shot a buck in the same area last year and he found a broadhead lodged in the neck region. Fully healed once again, the buck was normal looking and the meat was fine. Deer can be tough critters.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Gone Hunting

I think that deer was shot from tree stand and arrow was placed to far back and to high.... and that's not all bad.
I think that this arrowhead is sitting in the rumen which is one of the deer stomachs most likely full of undigested and partially digested hay so worked well as a backstop...
Location of the arrow is were farmers would place TROCAR to save bloated cow. Most trocars are twice to four times arrow shaft diameter..Some trocars are left in place for couple of weeks and those stub wounds heal well.
This deer has decent chance for recovery.

I would feel very bad for making this shot as I do for wounding any animal with any weapon...

Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 10-22-2008, 12:36 PM

I personally think its funny that someone would think that an arrow was shot at a long range and thats why the angle of the arrow is as such.

In the prairies, there are plenty of hills and when hunting mulies I hunt spot/stalk a ton and can easily be WAY above a mulie bedded, etc. No treestand needed to shoot an arrow at a deer at this angle.

Crappy deal, but an unfortunate part of our sport.....live and learn and it looks as if the deer is doing okay....
Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
What is really sad is your obvious lack of knowlege about bowhunting. Ever heard of a treestand?????????????? Lobing a shot, you really don't have a clue do you???
Really not necassary.
Someone should increase the draw weight of their bow if they shot from a treestand. The angle could have very easily been a 40-50 yard shot.....from the ground, or from the top of a coulie, bedded down, ect.
Sincerely,
Clueless
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 PM

perfect example of why people eeed to PRACTICE more then a WEEK in advance of the hunting season! I see it all the time. Guys come into a shop a week before the season and say " i want to try bowhunting this year" having never shot a bow before...The salesman sets them up (as that is what they are they for), gives them a few tips on how to shoot it and line it up and usually watches them take a few shots to see if they can help them out with a few things..Usually if there is time the salesman will get them at least pretty clsoe at 20 yards then it is up to them to go from there...but what do i see, they pack it up and go home..coupel days later i see them in the shop messign around with his sights and ask them how there hunting is going..

"Ah man something is messed up with my sights" I had a deer at like 20 yards and and i hit him in the *****"

Me "that is to bad, did you practice quite a bit before you went out?"

"No I just started shooting and i did a bit in here before i went out, just dont have a place to shoot, and i am just not very good yet..."

Classic story

I know it happens to vetern shooters as well but it is way more comon with new shooters or shooters that dont practice...same goes with a rifle..

personally...if it was possibe...I think hunters should have to qualify with there weapons BEFORE they are allowed to hunt..say every 2 years..

this would promote practice...

thats my 2cents...
Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Yeeesh

Sorry for my guess. I guessed that way not due to lack of knowledge but in my 19+ years of bowhunting I have seen to many inexperinced guy's do exactly what my guess was and have been told also...buy the people that did it.

So as one of the above posts stated there are many variables to which that deer was shot and no one knows but the guy who did it and I therefore should not have guessed.

Yes bad shots happen, and yes there are way to many guy's buying bow's the day and week the season starts and head out hunting thinking they hit the target at 20 yards and I am good to go.

Is that better..
Old 10-22-2008, 01:47 PM

Thats very true Sakoman.....we have zero idea what happened so anything coulda happened with the shot.....

Very true that there are a ton of guys who dont spend enough time getting ready for hunting season too.....
Old 10-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Banned

great 4x3! definately.. id take him anyday...
as to the arrow in the other buck, its unfortunate but theres many things that CAN go wrong in that curcumstance...
i agree with Rack.. I hunt down south and from the south and you can be 60 yards at the top, looking down a draw, creek bed.. anything..

What if a youth hunter shooting 42 lbs made his first mistake, and obviously this arrow isnt affecting this deers day to day life. How many mistakes have you folks made? But got lucky and missed?

I peice of brush can deflect the arrow and loose all its momentum too!

It sucks, you bet.. but hes living and doing fine as it seems... that arrow will find its way out sooner than later and he will do just great, whoever shot that buck just completely educated that deer... NOW hes gonna be a 200"+ mulie.. wait for it! lol
Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 PM

They really can survive and do pretty well with injuries much worse than this. I once saw a whitetail which was killed with a rifle and it had the remains of an arrow in it's head. The arrow had been in there a long time-at least since the previous year's hunting season. It had entered just behind the ear and gone forward through the deer's nasal passage.About 6 inches of arrow were still in there with only a little bit sticking out just back of it's nose. While I didn't see the body of the deer, I was told that it was fat and showed no signs of being sick when it was killed.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
They really can survive and do pretty well with injuries much worse than this. I once saw a whitetail which was killed with a rifle and it had the remains of an arrow in it's head. The arrow had been in there a long time-at least since the previous year's hunting season. It had entered just behind the ear and gone forward through the deer's nasal passage.About 6 inches of arrow were still in there with only a little bit sticking out just back of it's nose. While I didn't see the body of the deer, I was told that it was fat and showed no signs of being sick when it was killed.
I seen a European mounted buck at Echoglen taxidermy in Red Deer a few years ago just like that. With the arrow in the back of its head and out the nose, but actually shot and killed with a rifle.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_m View Post
I seen a European mounted buck at Echoglen taxidermy in Red Deer a few years ago just like that. With the arrow in the back of its head and out the nose, but actually shot and killed with a rifle.
That'll be the same one I saw, james.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 PM

I was out on the weekend and seen the arrow buck at 30 yards he looks like he's doing fine.And the 4x3 that was in the first pic's on this page is in my freezer.