Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Artificial deer feed

I have heard alot about the new deer feed, all you have to do is spred it out. Has anyone used it and does it really work as well as they say it does.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:18 AM

wouldn't that be considered baiting? is it legal?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:05 PM

If you mean something like C'mere Deer, then this is baiting and no different then using a salt lick, both illegal in Alberta. Saskatchewan can bait, as shown on several times on Hunting Canada and Beyond.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accubond View Post
Saskatchewan can bait, as shown on several times on Hunting Canada and Beyond.

Some of the best spot and stalk moose and mule deer footage I've ever seen was on this show as well....incredible actually!!!

tm
Old 10-02-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accubond View Post
If you mean something like C'mere Deer, then this is baiting and no different then using a salt lick, both illegal in Alberta. Saskatchewan can bait, as shown on several times on Hunting Canada and Beyond.
The C'mere deer is labeled an attractent not a food......So a guy would defintely need some clairfication. So in my eyes it wouldn't be baiting. To me it's no different then making a mock scrape and putting deer urine on it, or how about the buck bomb???? They are all attractents (just like c'mere deer) so wouldn't that be concidered baiting as well then???? hmmmmm just my 2cents

Mike
Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM

you have to feed artificial deer??
Old 10-05-2008, 07:24 AM

I found this bag of what looks like juice crystals in my grandfathers basement and it said that you just add water and pour over the ground in one spot. Havent used it yet but the guys at the gun shop said that is is legal.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:28 AM

but officer... "the guys at the gun shop said it was legal" sounds like it could lead to problems for you.
A call to your local F&W office could save you a whole bunch of head-aches in the long run.

Good point about the baiting v attractent.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:42 AM

Default deer

salt isn't food either its an attractant, and illegal
Old 10-05-2008, 10:25 AM

cmere deer, deer kocaine,stump licker ,sweet 45 and all other attractants are illegal ,there is no debait on whether or not it food or not its all been deem illegal to use for hunting purposes.
the only reason hunt shops sell this is for photogrophy purposes

that includes all forms of these powder or liquids
Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 AM

true its in the regs....

Bait - any substance that consists of a food attractant, including mineral and any representation of a food attractant.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:37 PM

I remeber buying incence sticks for bears to use in the moutain wmu,s. Asked the game warden if I could use them and he said no. They were food attracents called 10 dead horses and some fish one. Check with fish and wildlife, I'm sure the answere will be no.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:30 PM
.300wsm

Even if your not using it for bait, you can read up on user reviews on the cabelas website. From what I read, it doesnt work for s**t.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 PM

Default distance

does anybody know how far do you have to be from the food plot to hunt
Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear obsession View Post
About 15 feet in the air no just jokin you know I wouldn't condone breaking any laws now...
Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
We had one year goose damage on a couple of our crops the fish and wildlife guys came and made our claim. Thatyear it was illegal to hunt with in 1/2 mile of the fields. not sure but if you are putting out food and you are sitting back trying to intercept them you are still takeing a big chance.
Now if it is a feild where the deer are going and nothing is posted as a claim you can sit right in the middle of it. I would not want to take the chance that you get caught sitting say 100 yards from a established bait waiting.
Remember you have to prove yourself innocent not the other way most cases
Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Thanks

My buddy put a couple bags of deer atract for his camera on one side of his farm without me knowing and i have been hunting on the other side aprox 1 km from there and i was wondering if i was still in the right
Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
My buddy put a couple bags of deer atract for his camera on one side of his farm without me knowing and i have been hunting on the other side aprox 1 km from there and i was wondering if i was still in the right
you would be ok then but now you know about it i would be careful
Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 PM

I feel alot better now i have been stalking a nice 5x5 in there for the last year.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:14 AM

I've tried the stuff in front of some trail cams well before the season came along. It was pretty much useless, not worth the aggaravation nor the risk.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 AM

Thumbs down Bad Idea

Attractants, baiting, feed plots, etc. in my mind are a very bad idea.

An unnatural man-made area that attracts wild animals in closely together presents the opportunity for wild animals to feed unnaturally very closely together in groups allowing all types of diseases to spread very easily between infected and healthy animals. It’s a very effective way to destroy a healthy resident population of game. Just so that you know, CWD has been linked to this scenario.

I would strongly suggest for anyone ever considering doing this to do some research first before you break the law, and secondly before you risk our wild game populations. It’s unethical and in my opinion not much sport. It does not represent traditional hunting methods in any way. If anyone wants to shoot fish in a barrel just buy a nice Black Angus cow from a famer walk out into the pasture and have at it.

This is something I’m totally opposed against. I came across a suspected feed plot 3 years ago and I reported it to fish & wildlife. Further investigations were done and the offenders were found guilty and fined the plot was destroyed.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Banned

Here is my thoughts. Do you feel it is ethical to sit on a watering hole waiting for deer to come to it. Would it be ethical to set a blind up next to a set of grain bins during harvest time waiting for the deer to come in. Are they not the same thing. You are not baiting in either scenario, you are taking advantage of what the deer are using to meet their needs. I am not condoning either just bringing up a new bit for the discussion.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
but officer... "the guys at the gun shop said it was legal" sounds like it could lead to problems for you.
A call to your local F&W office could save you a whole bunch of head-aches in the long run.

Good point about the baiting v attractent.
The first part of that post is hilarious!!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renslip View Post
Here is my thoughts. Do you feel it is ethical to sit on a watering hole waiting for deer to come to it. Would it be ethical to set a blind up next to a set of grain bins during harvest time waiting for the deer to come in. Are they not the same thing. You are not baiting in either scenario, you are taking advantage of what the deer are using to meet their needs. I am not condoning either just bringing up a new bit for the discussion.
A valid argument, however in my opinion, normally you would only see a handful of game at a watering hole at any given time. As for the grain bins, a short time period of a week or so and the game would move on. In both instances these key area’s are not intended to be there and are natural in existence so to speak. With these two specific locations you could not expect to walk up to either of these locations at anytime, every single time and expect to see game. Not even close to being the same thing as a feed plot. Nothing wrong with putting the odds into your favour.

The key here with my thoughts are the regularity of visits by the animals, the shear number of animals, and the close proximity of the animals over extend period of time. A feed plot will attract game for months and they will very likely become depended on it especially the younger animals.

There is an over population of deer in Alberta right now. It takes minimal effort to be successful in downing an animal these days. Purposely baiting is not required at any sacle. In my opinion there’s a lot more to hunting than the kill itself. Enjoying the outdoors, the companionship with hunting buddies, the allure of the stalk, and the satisfaction if one is lucky enough to get an animal. Oh yeah the meals afterwards are kinda nice too.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
you have to feed artificial deer??
Thats what I was thinking....and why?
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!