Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2008, 10:53 PM

Default How many of you guys have hunted in the Yukon?

I've been reading several of the threads and see a few pictures and references to here. So, where have you been and what did you see?

Mike
Old 10-25-2008, 11:14 PM

I have yet to hunt up there, but I'm thinking maybe next year. My property & cabin is just outside of D. Bay. My wifes grandparents own Burwash Landing Resort & my father in law lives there year round. He has offered (more like demanded) that I go out with him for a moose hunt. He also hunts Bison in February & I'd like to do that too.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Banned

Not the Yukon for me..
But I have been fortuante enough to hunt in the NWT and in ALASKA.
Perhaps one day I will make it to the Yukon.
I really do like it up north.
And I still have some unsettled BIZ with MR Caribou

Jamie
Old 10-26-2008, 12:51 AM

Default yup

yup ive hunted the yukon a few times.
heres soem photos.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:30 PM

that sure is one big caribou gunslinger,the guy that shot that one sure must be one heck of a hunter,
Old 10-26-2008, 07:18 PM

would love to make the trek to give a sheep and bear a go at er.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:12 PM

Went for 2 weeks the end of August. Weater was colder than expected. Ended up with a caribou(barrenground by B&C but really a mountain caribou). Expected a trip of a lifetime and it was by most parts, except for the not seeing a single legal Dall sheep and only made a stalk on one band of three rams. Some things really surprised me about the guys operation, not what I expected. Hunting is never a slam dunk I learned once again.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 PM

Default Wow

Great Dall Sheep and a super Caribou...I'm planning a Yukon hunt next year..Can I ask who was the outfitter was and what caliber rifle was used..will greatly help in my planning
Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automd05 View Post
Great Dall Sheep and a super Caribou...I'm planning a Yukon hunt next year..Can I ask who was the outfitter was and what caliber rifle was used..will greatly help in my planning
the rifle is a 30-06 and the area that the dall sheep and the moose were taking in were the bonnet plume,
i killed the grizzly bear and jasons killed his caribou up with jim fink of blackstone outfitters.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:05 AM

Awesome pictures gunslinger. sure beats a sertin tow job i remember hahahaha just bugging you.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 AM

Just how is the Fink these days, I used to fly with him on the NWT side. Good Guy.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM

"I have yet to hunt up there, but I'm thinking maybe next year. My property & cabin is just outside of D. Bay. My wifes grandparents own Burwash Landing Resort & my father in law lives there year round. He has offered (more like demanded) that I go out with him for a moose hunt. He also hunts Bison in February & I'd like to do that too."

Do it while we're young! Did he tell ya that bison tags are over the counter this year? No more draw. Could be fun. D Bay is beautiful country I hear - I've never been further than Sheep Mountain.

"Not the Yukon for me..
But I have been fortuante enough to hunt in the NWT and in ALASKA.
Perhaps one day I will make it to the Yukon.
I really do like it up north.
And I still have some unsettled BIZ with MR Caribou"

I read your bear saga Jamie and really enjoyed it. If you are ever up this way let me know and we can maybe go fishing or whatever is happening. I bet your son would like catching big monster pike!

Ginslinger - Great pictures! Did you say you were a guide up here? Who's outfit? Love the caribou picture.

Longshot - who did you go with? We had terrible weather here in late Aug - were you out in that?

Good stuff guys.

Mike
Old 10-27-2008, 04:40 PM

Been to finlinson lake hunting bou's and moose, nice spot good hunting
self guided though. My cousin and I went dall hunting with BPO, good hunt but you better be in shape, no horses!

Nice animals P.G.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Great place to hunt I live in Whitehorse for 7 years and loved it. Shot moose, Barren land Caribou, Woodland caribou, black bear, goat, dall sheep, stone sheep, fannin sheep, wolf. Fishing is unreal as well.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:29 PM

Yukon Mike, I was up with Widrigs from Aug.20-Sept.2. Loved the couple days of snow. Moved from base camp to spike in great weather, then snow. Moved spike camps in hot sunny weather then cold again. I had one idea in my head before going and then seen how it actually works once I got there. 3 grizzlys at 150-200 yds was pretty cool. Seen too many moose sheds to count. Last day rounded a corner to see 40 lambs and ewes on one plateau. But no rams!! I now have one very expensive caribou, but memories to last forever.(A guy can only chase whitetails for so long). One day may try again. Don't tell my wife, she couldn't believe that AB and SK whitetail tags cost me $190 today.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM

270 - too bad about your hunt, but you do what you can right? I know the brother (Charlie) of the Widrig you were hunting with better than himself. He's the one that got his face ripped up pretty bad by a grizzly a few years ago right? I think he lost an eye out of that one? What is his name? My son used to play soccer with his daughter. I actually wasn't sure he was still guiding. I imagine after you live through a grizzly mauling it is pretty hard to have a bad day for the rest of your life.

You think you'll come back again sometime?

Mike
Old 10-27-2008, 08:44 PM

BTK - what do you mean self guided? You must have had a buddy from here? Finlayson is nice country for sure. I didn't know Bonnet Plume didn't use horses. You mean not at all, or just not on your sheep hunt?

Peace Country - I sent you a PM. I'd love to trade sometime!

Mike
Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 PM

Chris is his name. He guided one of the guys on my trip. I don't actually know if he lost his eye. I asked my guide about it and he mentioned a glass tear duct?? Plus I seen him using eye drops. The story I got was that he was out front walking with the rest of the pack a ways behind him when he heard someting and it was a cub(s) behind him with dear old mom in front of him. Very scary I'm sure. Sometime before the hunters could get guns loaded to scare off the bear. Obviously lucky to be alive.
Other three guys in camp were all repeat hunters, two of them it was third trip, other guy was his second, so they all like the operation.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:32 AM

Nice pictures. One day want a Dall and a caribou on the walls. Never been to the Yukon but would like to go someday even if it's just siteseeing.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Y-Mike. We went with a couple of residents, I was only 18 at the time and none of us had ever hunted bous before, or moose. Every morning we would hike up the mountain and all the game were on the other mountains. Never did figure it out, I guess thats would be called a learning curve ( I'm a little smarter now, not much though). Ended up shooting a smaller bou (250"). When we went with BPO I think it was Chris's first or second year operating that concession. As far as I know all the sheep hunters were being flown into the areas with super cubs, I think the horses were only used for moose and bear. Very good hunt, my cousin and I wanted to hunt together, ended up getting both our sheep in 9 days, because we were hunting together in what would be a normal 10 day trip Chris was willing to let us stay as long as we had to to get our sheep. Although after 9 days we were pretty much done in!
Would love to go again, but its off to Africa in 09 first.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Hey YM, I lived in Fort Simpson in the NWT for 8.5 years and hunted the McKenzies quite a bit, shot 2 Dalls and few woodland there and lots of barrenground caribou north of Yellowknife. I also shot 6 moose while I was there mostly from south of Ft. Simpson
I had some pics in awhile ago with the sheep and a polar bear you enquired about.
I have hunted the Canol trail area up to the Yukon border around OGrady Lake. I also hunted the Keel River with jet boats from the McKenzie river up to Caribou flats (300 kms or so). I have lots of pictures but they are not digital as we didnt have these cameras in the 90's. I will try to scan and shrink some for a post at a later date.
Both Territories are majestic and beautiful areas with uncountable opportunities to offer the sportsman. I miss the hunting and fishing quite a bit
but will be back before to long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DahlSheep.jpg (57.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg caribou.jpg (61.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Kent - what did you do for work in Ft Simpson? That's a pretty remote place I think? No road? What's the story on the polar bear?

BTK Africa in 09 sounds pretty good to me. I'm booked for a hunt in Florida in 09 for ducks and maybe an big alligator. I've wanted to hunt a big gator, ever since I saw the Waterboy, or was it Joe Dirt?

rhuntly - nice to meet you. If you ever need a contact or info to hunt up here just let me know how I can help.

270 - Ya Chris, that's him. I remember reading the incident in a hunting mag and then years later I met him at soccer one night. I'm not sure about the eye anymore either, but he told me he was pretty sure he was going to die. They were a long way from help at the time.

Mike
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 PM

Y M, I worked for the Federal Govt as a Resource Management Officer for DIAND. The polar bear I bought as a rug from a RCMP Staff Seargent that brought it down from Grise Fjord. The rest of the critters I shot.
I think I harvested 14 caribou in the 6 and a half years that I could hunt there as you could take 5 barrenground and 1 woodland a year. With very little beef or pork available there, you lived on what you shot. There is road access to Simpson with a ferry in the summer and an ice bridge in the winter but during freeze up and breakup (2.5 months a year) it is air access only.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:39 AM
gitrdun

I hunted the Yukon in '07. I was after a 60" moose and passed one up as the lake was way too rough and I didn't feel that I could make the shot well enough. So now, I gotta go back.