Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Moose 337 and 338

I have spent a few days out there and have not even seen a moose. There used to be a great population out there. The last couple years there is nothing. I plan to go back out on Saturday and drag my bow around. Was wondering if anyone has seen any out there recently, cause over the last 3 years they are harder and harder to find.

Thanks for the help

Trev
Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 PM

I've hunted 337 for probably 8 years now and i've saw a dozen moose, hence why its general. Very tough to harvest one with the bow.

I hunt a section right along the river and have only seen moose in there. Thats it.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:22 PM

I hunt and work in 338. Lots of moose. Sunday before Thanksgiving we saw 4 different bulls in one 4 square mile area and managed to miss two that day out of the treestands.

When flying in 338 always see lots of moose.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Well maybe Saturday will be the day. Plan on being in the middle of 338 for the whole day there are some nice cut block in there and we will see what happens. I found some spots that look great but maybe I need to reconsider my location.

A few years ago I would 2 -3 moose every time I was in that zone. It has not been like that for a few years. (for me)

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feed back.

Trev
Old 10-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Banned

I hunted 338 2 years ago in Nov. on a draw tag. we got one bull that was 35" with nice pans, and I had an opportunity at a 50" and many other good bulls. Theres a solid population, just gotta find em. ive seen em out working... in the oilfield that is... cows, calfs, bulls.
Center of 338 west between cynthia and lodgepole.. drive lease roads and look down cutlines, swamps, willow thickets... best of luck bud!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

Ya what John said...lots of moose in 338. Spent 3 weeks there a while back and our last week was quite successful. Several bulls and cows. Had a bull walk by our camp within 40 yards early one morning, heard him grunting and thrashing as we walked out of the camper to go hunting. Didn't bother with him because we had a solid moose area we were focusing on. Although I must say it has gone downhill in the last few years. 4-5 years ago it was hard to drive and not see several, now you have to really get into the bush and find the good spots but their definatley there, some bruisers too.

Hey John if you dont mind me asking, what kind of work do you do out there? See many elk when flying? This year has seemingly been next to impossible to see elk sign, not many rubs anywhere and didn't hear a peep except some cows chirping afterdark. All I saw for live elk was a heard of at least 8 cows in a place I saw a bruiser bull in last year.

Last edited by ~Octane~; 10-23-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:37 PM

Octane I am a forester.

That was what was so surprising when flying, do not see the elk like you do moose. Know they are in their though as when I am hunting I see a few. 338 used to be, in the mid 90's elk haven. But like 348, they will rebound. In 348 there were some lean years where i hunt for elk but now, man oh man. Elk running everywhere.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:51 PM

I hunted 337 in 07 & 06. Had a camp set up for 10 days both years. My buddy & I hunted hard strictly for moose, and failed to harvest even one moose. We did however have an awesome hunt, and each of us had several close encounters. I was at full draw at less than forty yards one time each year, but was unable to get a clear shot at the vitals. There seems to be a stable population of moose there, but they're very call shy & skittish.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM

In 337 I would go in at the Chevron gas plant road on the Cynthia highway and then work your way into the old Chip Lake fire. The Triumvirate road is also a good spot for moose. Or head south on range road 95 and park at the end of the road by the millsite and quad straight south across the powerline and get into the muskeg and hills.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Default moose 337

not liking what i am hearing so far about the moose in 337, i have the draw for bull in there this year, sounds like my chances are pretty slim.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:07 PM

Brewski, lots of bulls in 337. Send me a pm and can show you some spots if you like.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 PM

I was hunting in those exact spots/areas that John is talking about.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 AM

Guys thanks for all the feedback.

I do alot of bear baiting in 337 and when you say the Chevron road. I'm not sure which you mean.How far north of Cynhtia, also if you would be interested in sharing any other ideas please feel free to send a pm.

Thanks alot for you help.

Trev
Old 10-26-2008, 01:18 PM

Were heading into 338 first week of November as my buddy has a bull draw. The rest of us only have bull elk tags. Hope to fill something in the area as the past few years we have had draws in the area and have not been able to fill them. Not sure if the rest of you feel this way but we have found that the cutlines we used to hunt all the time have now grown in so much with alders you can't walk in on them without making so much noise it scares everything away.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:42 PM

Default 338

we hunted 338 for years. south on the carrot creek tower road. used to be able to find the big guys, but the last 4 years we were not that lucky. AS a matter of fact, we only found a few tracks and saw no moose at all. last year sucked, no moose, deer were real jumpy, and it seemed like the number of hunters in that area tripled. to many road hunters. we were back in bogs where we always have seen moose, sometimes only cows but it was still moose. we have decided to call it quits for 338 at least for this year
Old 10-26-2008, 07:30 PM

Well made the final trip in there for bow season and had a stalk on about 30"-36" bull at 6:00pm but couldn't close the deal, lost him in the bush.

Winds were unreal, actually so bad I called forestry as the wind had blown a tree down across the lines and started a fire on the old Vermillion Road about 13 km north of Cynthia. Also on the way out they closed the esso road just south of Cynthia cause of the same thing(but not the same fire). Trees all over the place actually cut 5 out of the road, was very glad to have my chainsaw with my Saturday.

Thanks for the help guys.

Trev
Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_N_Wide View Post
Well made the final trip in there for bow season and had a stalk on about 30"-36" bull at 6:00pm but couldn't close the deal, lost him in the bush.

Winds were unreal, actually so bad I called forestry as the wind had blown a tree down across the lines and started a fire on the old Vermillion Road about 13 km north of Cynthia. Also on the way out they closed the esso road just south of Cynthia cause of the same thing(but not the same fire). Trees all over the place actually cut 5 out of the road, was very glad to have my chainsaw with my Saturday.

Thanks for the help guys.

Trev

high n wide were you in 337 on the east side of the cynthia highway or in 338 on the oppisite side?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM

Brewski,

I was back and forth a couple times in there. Found an awesome spot for elk in 337 and found a bull in 338 west of Cynthia. But no luck closing the deal. Were you out there as well.

Trev
Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_N_Wide View Post
Brewski,

I was back and forth a couple times in there. Found an awesome spot for elk in 337 and found a bull in 338 west of Cynthia. But no luck closing the deal. Were you out there as well.

Trev
ce=
nope i wasnt out there last weekend but i will be this coming weekend, as i have the bull moose draw out there, elk? i have yet to see one out there.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM

Brewski,

I sent a p.m. and I believe the directions are pretty close but I'm just going off memory.

Trev