Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2008, 04:37 PM

Default WMU 525 Bull Moose

Anyone seeing any bulls up in 525. Been up 2X now for a total of 9 days and only seen 1 bull. Last night and this am, seen 3 separate cows on their own. Been hunting north of Worsley in a few areas between Running Lake and further west towards Clear Prairie area. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don
Old 10-15-2008, 07:05 PM

Default moose

They are there my friend it is a large zone North and where you are are the good spots we came back with alittle guy and seen somemore that we could have brought home.I believe in the moon as an early one we find the bestThree parties there and three brought home. LOOK LOW IN THE NEW MOON
Old 10-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Default 525 moose

i have hunted area 525 for 7 years now and up until this year we had great
luck with moose and mule deer. every year we see less and less moose. i was
in that area last week and i only seen a black bear no moose at all. if you look
at the country around the tower and haul road you will see lots of logging. also the water is low in the creeks. i was told the country is being drained for
the perpous of extracting iron ore??? also we found a new outfitter cabin and last year met a lot of american hunters. i think the moose will head deep
into the hills for a little peace. i will not be hunting that area again.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:12 PM

We did really well there for bulls until last year when we came home skunked. I think that the previous winter, the moose had a fairly high mortality rate with the large amount of snow. We have been seeing lots of wolves in there as well. I worked in the area for the winter of 06/07. Alot of the moose we seen were feeding in a circle around them without moving around too much. The snow was 5'+ in most areas making it hard for them to get around without burning up a ton of energy. In November of 07 we seen 2 young bulls the first day and cows the rest of the week. Only one cow had a calf with it.
We are leaving the area alone for this year and maybe give it a go again in a year or two. Previously we had no problem filling tags in the area and seen alot more mature animals around.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb hunter View Post
also the water is low in the creeks. i was told the country is being drained for
the perpous of extracting iron ore??? also we found a new outfitter cabin and last year met a lot of american hunters. i think the moose will head deep
into the hills for a little peace. i will not be hunting that area again.
Never heard anything about a mine. Where abouts did you see the new Outfitters cabin? Curious as we use to hunt 525 for moose but left along time ago, but still go back for spring bear.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic800 View Post
We did really well there for bulls until last year when we came home skunked. I think that the previous winter, the moose had a fairly high mortality rate with the large amount of snow. We have been seeing lots of wolves in there as well. I worked in the area for the winter of 06/07. Alot of the moose we seen were feeding in a circle around them without moving around too much. The snow was 5'+ in most areas making it hard for them to get around without burning up a ton of energy. In November of 07 we seen 2 young bulls the first day and cows the rest of the week. Only one cow had a calf with it.
We are leaving the area alone for this year and maybe give it a go again in a year or two. Previously we had no problem filling tags in the area and seen alot more mature animals around.
good idea to give it a couple years. how do we get the outfitters to take
a break? it would be nice to see a minimum size limit for moose in that area
and let them grow a little.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
Never heard anything about a mine. Where abouts did you see the new Outfitters cabin? Curious as we use to hunt 525 for moose but left along time ago, but still go back for spring bear.
i went in on the haul road from the farm land, worsley side. if you take the
cut across road to the tower road about 18kms north on the haul road then
head north to the tower the cabin is just off the tower road. i would explain
it a lot better if i could show you a map as i dont know the formal road names.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post

They found iron ore in there probably 15 years ago-I think that know they have the technology to mine it. Buddy of mine had a cat working on the project a couple of years ago. Used to live there and did alot of forestry work back in there-used to be thick with moose in there.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:27 PM

The outfitter's that we ran into out there had two fairly large groups of clients come through while we were there and had 0% success. They had a little better success during the calling season though from what they told me, not like any other year. The success rate should hold some clients off, I would assume. I know that if I had called references from that year it would deter me. The year before we filled both moose tags and took a nice mulie as well. The first moose was down within a half an hour of setting up camp and it was not hard to find the second one either. With working up there and hunting the area, I have seen nothing to speak of for mature animals in that area lately.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the info. Will hopefully get a chance for 2-3 more days before season runs out here on Oct 31. Will hopefully have something to post.

Don
Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 PM

Well, will just a to wait til the wife gets her tag next year. Got up there Saturday evening for about the last 30 mins of legal light. Did some walking, used quads 1 evening and 1 morning. Seeing cows everywhere, some with calves, other on their own. We covered from Running Lake west all the way to Clear Prairie area of the hill. Decidied to wonder over to Stoney Lake area for our last evening hunt tonight - didn't even see anything.

Oh Well.................
Don