Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 01:40 PM

Default Turkeys in central/north Alberta?

Just wondering how far north turkeys range in Alberta? A coworker showed me a pic taken near Bonnyville of what appeared to be wild turkeys, in an area that doesn't seem to suggest they escaped from a nearby residence. I've never heard of them anywhere near here, but I raised some of my own eastern wild's this year and they certainly are capable of withstanding the cold. They can go in and out of the barn, but even at -25C often chose to roost in the outside run. My chickens wanted no part of that! It would be great if they expanded their range up this way. Any idea's on why they haven't? Was thinking maybe too much snow or too many predators, but is it really that much different in southern Alberta?
Old 03-26-2017, 03:25 PM

I'm guessing there are none(or very few?) only because they are not native to northern Alberta,but no doubt they would thrive if introduced imho based on similar climates in North America where they do well.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:20 PM

It is my understanding, wild turkeys need a source of open water through the winter.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 PM

someone brought them in from the states years ago and transplanted them in the cypress hills, south of Elkwater for personal hunting and holiday feasts. They have thrived in those conditions, and there are alot of birds on the Saskatchewan side of the hills and in sanctuary of the provincial parks.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 PM

I saw one at North Buck Lake last summer. Been going there for 20yrs and that was a first. Far and few between but the odd one is around I guess
Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 PM

They have a stable enough population in Manitoba to have a season. They've increased their numbers surprisingly well since they were stocked. If they can thrive there they should be able to survive just about anywhere in Alberta.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crblair View Post
I saw one at North Buck Lake last summer. Been going there for 20yrs and that was a first. Far and few between but the odd one is around I guess
I saw them at North Buck last year too, end of August one of them had a brood of 6-8 little ones running behind her. It was an unusual site in my experiences.

I promote environmental conservation.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:00 PM

Seen these guys today by the battle river today. First time I've ever seen what I'm assuming are wild turkeys. Anyone know anything about them around here?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2017, 02:31 PM

I've heard them in 318 near Burntstick and seen footy-prints that look like turkey tracks but never saw a bird.