Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-07-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justforkicks View Post
We hear all the time that you only need 40lbs to kill an elk if you "put the arrow where it needs to be"

Well guess what, this is hunting, there are twigs, animals move, we are humans and twitch and that is when the arrow gets sent where it doesn't need to be.

I can draw my 80 lb bow in -25 with all my clothes on or after hiking up a mountain for a sheep.

Being able to shoot a high KE/poundage bow effectively helps stack the deck more so in my favor.

Being able to shoot through a 1100lb bull elk at 50yrds or a quatering deer that you hit in the flank and it comes out his off side shoulder is a great feeling.
Yes exactly. I could kill a red stag with a .22 if I put it in the right place, but in real life I wouldn't go with less than the 308. I've seen deer run 100 yards with boiler room shots with 30-06. I shot a Chinese water deer straight through the heart last season and it went over 100 yards. Imagine I fit had been a 22 hornet or something. The deer would have gone a lot further.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukesArcher View Post
I can't understand why people wouldn't shoot at least 80lb (max compound go up to?) I know someone personally who can shoot 180 lb with ease. I know a 14 year old who can pull over 100lb like it was nothing. I'm talking traditional bows with no let off.

I would have thought the majority of hunters would be shooting 70-80lb.
lol wait till you get wiser...meaning older...has noting to do with being a whole lot smart...just age has a way of slowing one down...

My generation worked hard and played hard...most of us are broken and older...lol

In my day I shot a 78 lb compound...with a whopping 30% let off...lol

Till I couldnt pull it one November when a 180 class whitetail set under my stand...lol
poundage has gone down since...

But IMHO...a 60lb bow now...[I shoot 66lb] 1s 100 FPS faster than that 78 lb bow with a whole lot of KE...plently...for most ....no need for the magnums....lol

Everyone has a comfort zone...where they dont have to do a "Sky draw" to get bow drawn...mine is that 64-66 lb pending on bow range...

Again IMHO near a third of shooters are over bowed for them...

When your over bowed ...you just miss closer ...ha ha
Neil
Old 08-07-2014, 08:01 AM

Try sitting in a tree stand without moving for 4-6 hours and then draw your 80 lb bow slowly and quietly from a sitting position....

The way technology has advanced, a 80lb and even a 70lb bow is not required to hunt effectively.

I shot a bull elk from 35 yards away last year and had a pass through with a 60lb bow and a 385gr arrow @ ~295fps.

I was able to draw from a kneeling position and hold until the animal was in a good spot....a pass through is a pass through regardless of the KE.

Rifle hunting I am not so concerned with a pass through...but with archery it is a wonderful thing!

LC
Old 08-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Hey guys I get what some of you are saying that many ppl might be using to heavy of a bow leading to many problems but some of us like I have said before pulling 80lb is very easy and comfortable. I can sit in a stand all day in November and draw silently with ease. If everyone should shoot lighter why don't you guys drop your weights from what you are comfortably shooting now go from 60's to 40's? I'm not trying to argue I just don't see how someone who can shoot a specific weight comfortably should have to shoot a lighter weight it makes no sense to me. Laws of Physics do not lie speed and power increases as poundage goes up I would think all hunters would shoot the most poundage they can comfortably whatever that number is but that just mho
Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
Hey guys I get what some of you are saying that many ppl might be using to heavy of a bow leading to many problems but some of us like I have said before pulling 80lb is very easy and comfortable. I can sit in a stand all day in November and draw silently with ease. If everyone should shoot lighter why don't you guys drop your weights from what you are comfortably shooting now go from 60's to 40's? I'm not trying to argue I just don't see how someone who can shoot a specific weight comfortably should have to shoot a lighter weight it makes no sense to me. Laws of Physics do not lie speed and power increases as poundage goes up I would think all hunters would shoot the most poundage they can comfortably whatever that number is but that just mho
I agree..as I mentioned every shooter has their "Comfort Zone" mine is 64-66Lb yours is 80 lb...perfect...lets go all introduce a critter to a dirt nap...

Neil
Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
I agree..as I mentioned every shooter has their "Comfort Zone" mine is 64-66Lb yours is 80 lb...perfect...lets go all introduce a critter to a dirt nap...

Neil
Sounds great Neil 18 days till Christmas
Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 AM

Shoot what you are comfortable with and can shoot....

I used to shoot a 100 lb Hoyt Raptor I think it was before they went to the tek risers... I used ACC 3-71's with 125 grain tips and only got to shoot it once at the local range when I went through the butt, and into the overhead door behind the butts....

Why Because i could and I wanted to shoot long range.... I had a Martin Fury at 80 lbs and shot a 400 grain arrow at 340 fps.... but it waslike a cannon going off and I used to shoot too long of a draw at 31" because I did not know any better but man could I go a long ways into a tree after missing the animal.... But the sight would break about every 200th shot from the vibration and I went through a set of limbs... until I dropped it down to 70#.

I can still draw a huge weight but I don't need to. I now shoot a 60# bow with far more accuracy and I shoot more. the huge poundage was fun to shoot just not for as long.... and pulling those arrows out of 3D targets was HELL.... (and often hard on fletches as I often had to pull the arrow the rest of the way through the animal).

Everyone has their personal preference. Now I just prefer my 60lb bowm moving a 380 grain arrow at 310fps.... whic provides more than enough momentum to penetrate into the heart of any animal in North AMerica at 100 yards (double my chosen limitation).

Nothing wrong with someone shooting a 70# or 80# bow but i have seen too many guys with buggered up shoulders that can't draw 50# now! because they were overbowed.... Isee so many people sky drawing and drawing with low back elbow and heaving and grunting to get their bow back.... how that helps with stealth I am not sure... when you are waving and grunting and farting at the quarry....although sometimes it does provide a distraction...
Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 PM

I thinkI've confused people. I could never pull a 100lb compound bow. The max I can shoot is about 64 lb right now. I can shoot an english longbow of over 100lbs, however the technique of the medieval/Tudor longbow is not meant for target, but shooting heavy arrows into a mass target. 100lb at 32 inches is the standard.

I struggle to shoot a 70lb compound, let alone 80lb or 90lb.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:49 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-2KLuAH4GY

The bow is 170lb, but you'd struggle to put 3 arrows in a 6 inch circle at 10 yards. I know everyone in that video and am a member of the society. These bows are meant for war, not target or hunting.

Would take me a while to be able to shoot a compound bow of 80lb.

Photo is me shooting over a 100lb, but would never dream of hunting with such a thing. Notice the arch in the lower back. Shooting in the bow is a technique different from all other types of archery, and used extensively by English and Welsh archers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.9 KB, 16 views)