Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM

Default (“A.P.R.A.”) "Public" Homestead Range Closed clean-up

Alberta Provincial Rifle Association (“A.P.R.A.”) "Public" Homestead Range clean-up
The Public Range will be closed for the following dates:

May 18 2013
May 19 2013
May 20 2013

Map to the range is at: http://www.albertarifle.com/homestead.htm

APRA will be having a range clean-up day on May 18th,2013 week-end. For those who can make it out, please bring a rake and a shovel if possible and a good set of work gloves.

We realize this is an up hill battle, but certain members of the shooting public refuse to clean-up after themselves. Your help is needed and appreciated in encouraging other shooters that you may meet out at Homestead - "If it came out with you - Take it Home with you"

HOMESTEAD RANGE

This facility is located in the foothills of the Rockies, 45 minutes west of Calgary.

#AB-348-R: Sibbald Flats Public rifle range : Allows for the use and discharge of rifles contained in the .22 Long Rifle, .223 Remington, .308 Winchester and .338 Lapua Magnum templates groups. The use and discharge of handguns and shotgun on this range is not permitted.

#AB-349-R: Sibbald Flats Public Trap range : Allows for the use and discharge of shotguns for the purpose of trap shooting. The use and discharge of handguns and rifles at this range is not permitted.

Special notes re: the “public” range

This range is owned and maintained as a courtesy to the general public by the Alberta Provincial Rifle Association. We are a PRIVATE organization made up of volunteers. Your assistance in maintaining the range in a neat order is appreciated. If you see anyone abusing the facility, record the time, date and license number and report it to either the A.P.R.A. or the RCMP.

Please follow the basic rules listed below:

The Homestead Shooting Centre - "Public Area"
No Handguns or Restricted Firearms

Nothing larger than .338LP which excludes .50 BMG

Paper Targets only

Everything you bring into and onto the range must be taken out when you leave
(includes paper targets)

Shotguns only at the shotgun facility

No shotguns to be used on the rifle range

Contact numbers for the APRA are listed under each individual club's information

Contact Cochrane RCMP for emergency at 911

Those individuals found ignoring the rules or causing damage will be reported to the RCMP and CFO as necessary.

Persons found ignoring the rules or acting in an unsafe manner will be requested

Open most days (See APRA Calendar for notices of closures(link to : http://www.albertarifle.com/forum/calendar.php)) ½ hour before sunrise closed ½ hour after sunrise – see government link for Sunrise/Sunset Table http://www.albertaregulations.ca/pdf...ise-sunset.pdf
Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Default the range has spilled out to the surrounding land

This may not be the forum but I have to comment on the shooting mess I have come across in the area.
Trap shooting clays and shells can be found at just about every available parking spot along the homestead road.
I found clays and shells at the christmas tree harvest area off powderface tr.
My son picked up a handful of 9mm casings at jumping pound creek, 200 yards from the ajfw camp site!!
Its not uncommon to find empty beer cans and other garbage near by too.

Im just saying that this land belongs to all Albertans, not just cityiots who don't care about stewardship of the land.

I guess imo we need better enforcement and education in the province.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post

. . . Im just saying that this land belongs to all Albertans, not just cityiots who don't care about stewardship of the land . . .
Truth be known, some 'Ruraliots' are just as guilty!

I've met a few in the past at Homestead. They would openly admit that they didn't want to make a mess on their own land, so they go to Homestead to 'whoop-it-up' ... shooting at old TVs, small appliances, glass bottles, jars, you name it.

I gave up on the *&^%$#@ place about ten years ago and joined a private range ... haven't been back to Homestead since. What I save in gas to get out there, more than makes up for my annual membership fee. Not to mention how much cleaner, organised, and 100 times safer it is.

My hat is off to those who are still trying to make Homestead work. It makes me think there might be a ray of hope for the place.

TF
Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 PM

So do I have to pick up cases and shels too or its ok to leave them?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
So do I have to pick up cases and shels too or its ok to leave them?
Thats the first thing that you should be picking up.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Default Open today?

Hey, I came out for cleanup last year and brought some friends and did most of the public shotgun range. . (We are non memebers) See if I can find some more again.

Is the range open today? I checked Alberta rifle site and forum but I didn't see anything.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 AM

Ok, I'm seeing Steve Johnson is closed. I'm assuming that means Sibbald public range is open?

Also, is this the best place to find updates to the cleanup? Date changes etc.