Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Canada Post asks foreign services to stop sending mail due to strike

Canada Post is backlogged by at least 30 days due to the strikes and has asked foreign postal agencies to stop sending mail to Canada. If you order anything from the US or overseas it will not even make it over the border for a good while and be delayed even longer as they work on the backlog.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...rike-1.4909208

Small excerpt from the article:

Stop sending mail and parcels, Canada Post asks foreign services
Labour dispute causes 30-day backlog as 600 tractor-trailers sit unloaded

At the same time, Canada Post has asked its international partners to halt mail and parcel shipments to Canada as it reels under a 30-day delivery backlog resulting from a labour dispute with its employees.

The Crown corporation said Friday that its domestic customers are also backed up with packages waiting for delivery as rotating strikes that began Oct. 22 continue across the country.

"The backlogs are also extending to international mail and parcels entering the country," Canada Post spokesman Jon Hamilton said in an email.

"As a result, we have been forced to request that international posts, including the United States Postal Service, refrain from shipping items until we can clear the backlog."

The request covers all 190 countries in the Universal Postal Union (UPU), the United Nations agency that represents global postal services and oversees co-operation among them.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 PM

As long as there isn't a beer strike, all is good!
Old 11-16-2018, 05:03 PM

^He is right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
As long as there isn't a beer strike, all is good!
Old 11-16-2018, 05:11 PM

What a pain. Ordered some items for our perch fishing derby.

They should privatize Canada Post. The National importance of snail mail has gone away of the dodo.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-16-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
What a pain. Ordered some items for our perch fishing derby.

They should privatize Canada Post. The National importance of snail mail has gone away of the dodo.
And yet you use Canada Post.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-16-2018, 05:27 PM

^ indeed. Don’t really need another UPS/FedEX/DHL/etc. Canada Post is better than either of them.

Didn’t know about the strike. Funny thing is I placed an order for something over a week ago now. Asked them to ship it USPS instead of FedEX. They did and sent me the tracking number. I didn’t bother to check it until now and see it says that the package was accepted but it hadn’t moved since. Ha. No regrets.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:27 PM

need to fire all them useless buggers and rehire.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
^ indeed. Don’t really need another UPS/FedEX/DHL/etc. Canada Post is better than either of them.

Didn’t know about the strike. Funny thing is I placed an order for something over a week ago now. Asked them to ship it USPS instead of FedEX. They did and sent me the tracking number. I didn’t bother to check it until now and see it says that the package was accepted but it hadn’t moved since. Ha. No regrets.

Well, it is a rotating strike. Several cities at a time stop working, usually the big central depots, sometimes smaller cities. Mail still gets going it just takes a lot longer.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Banned

I have thought for a long time that Canada post should get rid of the union period. If these people need more of a hug they should get it at home. If they don’t like their pay, find a new job because thousands are in line behind you. I have never worked for a union and never will. Anyone I’ve worked with that has worked any amount of time for one gives about 50% of what anyone else would (from my experiences) I apologize if I offend any union people’s on here it’s not intended to get your sweat pants in a wool knot
Old 11-16-2018, 08:05 PM

A few public union employees holding the country hostage. What a grand country we have.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:10 PM

My problem is that union is using the backlog and now stoppage to force a better settlement but at the same time they’re forcing longer hours onto their members by creating this back log, which was one of their issues to start with. From where I’m standing it looks like the union is looking out more for their cut than their members well being.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:16 PM

I just received a package from Maidestone Saskatchewan in less than than 1 1/2 weeks - not bad considering there is supposed to be s strike on .
The only issue is that the non union contractor they delivered it dropped it at the wrong address!
The person st the address brought it over today .
Cat
Old 11-17-2018, 09:02 AM

Their may be a lot of disappointed kids when their favorite doll/truck from Santa is not under the Christmas tree. The postees may need to hire Santa and his elves to bail them out of the backlog.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
And yet you use Canada Post.
I order and it goes into mail as it is cheapest. It just needs to be privatized to get past this crap. They are destroying small businesses relying on it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-17-2018, 09:59 AM

A guy phoned in on one of the radio talk shows last month, and he said that when he worked at Canada Post, other employees would urge him to slow down so as to create a back log, and then they would get paid overtime to clear the back log.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
and yet you use canada post.
lol !!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:15 PM

I bought a muzzle loader and a scope in separate transactions and the strike never even dawned on me. Was hoping to get both within a couple weeks, likely will not be getting anything for a month if that.

Something for folks to consider if they're thinking of buying anything off this site or others, look for alternative shipping arrangements. With that kind of backlog and if they get legislated back to work who knows what their professionalism will be when it comes to items in those trucks. I suspect they might be tossed a little further and a little harder...…!

If they are allowed to strike, there should be provisions in legislation that prohibits them from striking this time of the year. I'm sure this time of year was chosen by union to have the most impact with hopes of getting what they're looking for in the settlement...!
Old 11-17-2018, 04:36 PM

Didn’t we do this just a year or two ago?