Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-28-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Grim Reaper Users

Are you guys sighting in with the practice heads or sacrificing one of the regular heads as a tester? Shooting a 400 grain arrow out of my bow at 275 fps showing right around 65 ft/lbs of KE for deer this should be ok but for large game am I under gunned with a mechanical at the velocity I'm shooting?
Old 10-28-2018, 11:05 AM

This is the third or fouth time this week I've heard someone mention the Grim Reapers, you'd almost think they were back.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarie_boy1 View Post
Are you guys sighting in with the practice heads or sacrificing one of the regular heads as a tester? Shooting a 400 grain arrow out of my bow at 275 fps showing right around 65 ft/lbs of KE for deer this should be ok but for large game am I under gunned with a mechanical at the velocity I'm shooting?

I shoot them at 302 fps. They are dead on out to 70 yards then they drop about 2 inches every 10 yards out to 130 yards. Just make sure you have a good bh target or they will bend then they will not fly well.

You can practice with fp out to 60 yards for sure but try the practice bh after that. Good luck. Tom Foss
Old 10-28-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
This is the third or fouth time this week I've heard someone mention the Grim Reapers, you'd almost think they were back.
Never thought they left...
Old 10-29-2018, 06:03 PM

I find that the practice tips or a lot of times crooked or bad and they don’t spend test worth a damn so I used the real deal for practice
Old 10-30-2018, 12:39 PM

I personally use the practice tip and have never had an issue I did once try my real one at 70 Yards as I hit Bulls eye with a field point wasn't to worries about cutting my other arrow but sadly ended up cutting the fletching's off the first one as the second anchored right beside the first. Overall very happy with the Performance I do only shoot the Razor Cut SS I like the solid steel tip not the small blades.