Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Smoking a moose roast

Going to try doing a moose roast on my Pit boss grill. Looking for tips/tricks and recipes. Was thinking of using a prime rib rub and then setting the grill to smoke and let it smoke for the day. Do I put it right on the grill and turn it every once in a while or what recommendations do you all have?
Old 11-16-2018, 10:36 AM

https://www.smoking-meat.com/decembe...-for-christmas

I do this but use montreal steak spice as a rub.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-16-2018, 10:56 AM

Get a large peice of beef fat from your buther and wrap and tie it after your rub goes on.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Be very careful with long, low and slow type cooks on game meat, in my experience, they don't work out all that well. Venison is so lean that you tend to end up with a tough, dried out and chewy product, and you don't get that "BBQ" taste that you get with beef or pork. The fat and tissues in venison have the strongest gamey flavour to them, and they don't always play real nice with the smoke. That's just my personal opinion, though, everyone's tastes and experiences will differ I'm sure.

The prime rib recipe above is definitely the place to start. Low and slow with smoke for a couple hours to impart some nice smoke flavour, but I'd suggest finishing to the desired internal temp (+/- 135 F) at much higher heat to speed up the process and preserve that moisture.

On smaller lean roasts, I wrap them in bacon to prevent burning the outside of the roast during higher heat and to "baste" them while cooking.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Have a good red wine with it.
I happen to have one handy....what time's dinner?
Old 11-16-2018, 11:23 AM

After I smoke it I put it in a pan with red wine and beef consommé. Cover it and get it to 145 degrees internal. let rest wrapped in foil for 1 hour and slice while my gravy reduces ! Goes great with a nice Merlot!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:12 PM

Default Pulled Elk Sandwiches

I take a 4.5 pound roast, dry rub it first, and then put it in the smoker at 250 Farenheit. After 2 hours flip it, after another two hours take it out and put it in an aluminum tray, pour beef broth over the roast and cover the tray/roast in aluminum foil. Put the tray back in the smoker without wood chips, or in the oven at 250 for another 3 hours.

When its done, remove the roast and let it rest for half hour. Then pull the meat with a fork, it should peel off in strands without much effort. Pick your favourite BBQ sauce, and mix the meat with the sauce in the slow cooker. Keep it warm in the slow cooker for another half hour. Serve on an onion bun with pickles and carmelized onions. It melts in your mouth, soooo tasty
Old 11-16-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
I take a 4.5 pound roast, dry rub it first, and then put it in the smoker at 250 Farenheit. After 2 hours flip it, after another two hours take it out and put it in an aluminum tray, pour beef broth over the roast and cover the tray/roast in aluminum foil. Put the tray back in the smoker without wood chips, or in the oven at 250 for another 3 hours.

When its done, remove the roast and let it rest for half hour. Then pull the meat with a fork, it should peel off in strands without much effort. Pick your favourite BBQ sauce, and mix the meat with the sauce in the slow cooker. Keep it warm in the slow cooker for another half hour. Serve on an onion bun with pickles and carmelized onions. It melts in your mouth, soooo tasty
I'll try that. Sounds great although I'm darn hungry right now!
Old 11-16-2018, 06:01 PM

I was gonna say something about needing a really big rolling paper but some of your ideas are making me hungry.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I was gonna say something about needing a really big rolling paper but some of your ideas are making me hungry.
I was going to make a ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ commemt
Old 11-16-2018, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Going to try doing a moose roast on my Pit boss grill. Looking for tips/tricks and recipes. Was thinking of using a prime rib rub and then setting the grill to smoke and let it smoke for the day. Do I put it right on the grill and turn it every once in a while or what recommendations do you all have?
Talking Moose might have some tips.