Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Vehicle gps recommendation

I have decided to pick up a stand alone gps for the vehicle. I had no clue there was so many choices and models to choose from. What are your experiences and recommendations. Garmin, Magellan or Tom Tom ? Garmin has so many different models that makes it so confusing. I would like something very easy to use, I am very technically challenged. I don't want to spend a fortune. and should be able to connect to an Apple computer for updates.
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 PM

Last couple of years I have been using a Garmin NUVI 3590. Free updates and never had an issue with it. Also gets me where I need to go and very easy to use.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:40 PM

I own Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, and Bottom Line and have used Tom Tom and Hummingbird in rental vehicles/boats. For boats, Lowrance is king. For vehicles, especially for out of Canada use, Garmin is far and away the best choice. Their Lifetime maps and ease of use put them far ahead of everyone else. There is also far more add on stuff you can get for Garmin than the others.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 AM

Navimii

Free on your smartphone, doesn’t use data!!

Used it driving and walking all through Ireland and the UK haven’t uploaded the NA maps yet, but I will soon.

-Confucius
Old 06-04-2018, 08:22 AM

With everyone owning a smartphone now, Ive found the GPS (and cameras) are starting to become obsolete. I’d suggest using google maps connected to your car audio or like Uberfly suggested, find a free app and use that.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Just got my Garmin Drivesmart 60 LMT 6" from Costco(online) arrived today. $229.99 plus GST Pretty good deal,cheaper than other places I looked at, including GPS city and GPS Central(Radioworld).

Connects to phone, 6" screen, Lifetime Maps and Traffic, voice activated, plus many other features.

Way bigger than my Nuvi 3790 LMT which quit working.

Looking forward to trying er out.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:45 AM

I've got the built in GPS in my vehicles and I don't bother to use it. It's much easier to use a smartphone gps with google maps, it's always up to date, cost nothing except that it consumes data. I had a TomTom.......it's gone the way of the DoDo
Old 06-04-2018, 04:38 PM

I have a Garmin built into my Kenwood deck, love it.

Just downloaded backroads, forestry, gas, Oil and logging road maps and can also add topo maps.

And it dosent use any data and I'm not pushing my luck with a cell phone looking for a distracted driving coupon either.

Get a stand alone & put the phone down.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:32 PM

My dad is in his 80s and we got him a Garmin because of simplicity of use and how easy they are for "technologically challenged" people to learn how to use.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I have a Garmin built into my Kenwood deck, love it.

Just downloaded backroads, forestry, gas, Oil and logging road maps and can also add topo maps.

And it dosent use any data and I'm not pushing my luck with a cell phone looking for a distracted driving coupon either.

Get a stand alone & put the phone down.
can you download backroads etc... on any Garmin?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
can you download backroads etc... on any Garmin?
Pretty much yes, unless you get a really old version that doesn't have enough memory. Back roads is a VERY large file.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:49 AM

With the new Google Maps you can download any area you'd like so you don't require data. It's offline GPS.
No GPS system is going to be as good as Google Maps
Old 07-12-2018, 03:22 AM
Banned

I personally have Garmin RV 760LMT. As far as I know all Garmins come with a free download of BaseCamp. BaseCamp makes it possible to create your own route and waypoints. Then the route you choose can be uploaded to the GPS. Works fine with both Mac and PC. I like the system a lot. You can find a detailed review on this model on ProductAdvisor review website
Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I've got the built in GPS in my vehicles and I don't bother to use it. It's much easier to use a smartphone gps with google maps, it's always up to date, cost nothing except that it consumes data. I had a TomTom.......it's gone the way of the DoDo
X2... I’ve also had a lot less “issues” since using Google Maps on my I-phone. Just make sure you bring along the power cord and have it plugged in since using it in this fashion drains the battery pretty fast.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:49 AM

Does Garmin still have a "route optimizer" ?

You used to be able to put in a whole bunch of addresses, say 30 to 40 sites in one city, and it'll organize them in optimal logistical order.

Good for daily runs, trucking, logistics, route delivery, lawn care - whatever.

Can you do this with Google maps??
Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Just got my Garmin Drivesmart 60 LMT 6" from Costco(online) arrived today. $229.99 plus GST Pretty good deal,cheaper than other places I looked at, including GPS city and GPS Central(Radioworld).

Connects to phone, 6" screen, Lifetime Maps and Traffic, voice activated, plus many other features.

Way bigger than my Nuvi 3790 LMT which quit working.

Looking forward to trying er out.
Looks pretty cool. It's $50 off now, too! (Link here)
Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Looks pretty cool. It's $50 off now, too! (Link here)
Good thing about Costco is they will refund you the price difference within a reasonable time. Got to love their customer service. I think you will find the car mounted GPS very handy and it doesn't burn through the data like using a smart phone, and yes I know you can download areas on wifi and use later but it losses most of its active search function info when down loaded.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:03 AM

I DID NOT find this with the Navamii app! Full search function while not using data!

My wife used MapMe and found the same thing!! Again we used both these apps walking and driving all through Ireland and Scotland! SUPER slick and NO WiFi needed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
but it losses most of its active search function info when down loaded.

-Confucius
Old 07-12-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
I DID NOT find this with the Navamii app! Full search function while not using data!

My wife used MapMe and found the same thing!! Again we used both these apps walking and driving all through Ireland and Scotland! SUPER slick and NO WiFi needed!!
Google maps down loaded for use offline is what I was talking about. People claim Google maps is far superior to any dedicated GPS system and in terms of the amount of ancillary info available on Google maps they are entirely correct. Because it is tied to Google's very powerful web search tool it provides far more location, business, restaurant, hotel etc info than any stand alone GPS can.

Some of the APPs you can get do in fact give you full GPS capability on your smart phone, but they have the same limitations as the Garmin and other maps as to amount of info embedded in them. If you have a large or unlimited data plan, the Google maps system is far and away the best info source for traveling but data out of your home country can become really expensive very fast and this is where standalone GPS or the Apps come into play. The bigger screen is really nice, unless you are running Google on a tablet or Pad.

One of place dedicated high end GPS like Garmin really shines and is far superior to Google is in lane choices, exits etc in really complicated road systems like LA, Montreal and place with multi lane freeways. They set you up for success well in advance and when you have exits right, centre and left on a freeway their detailed road information is a real safety benefit and time saver. They also have red light cameras and speed zones built into them and this is very handy for driving in strange territory.

You can get Google to do 80% of the navigation work the Garmin does but Garmin is still way out front on the driving part of the application.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-12-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Google maps down loaded for use offline is what I was talking about. People claim Google maps is far superior to any dedicated GPS system and in terms of the amount of ancillary info available on Google maps they are entirely correct. Because it is tied to Google's very powerful web search tool it provides far more location, business, restaurant, hotel etc info than any stand alone GPS can.
Google is getting pretty good with its offline maps. I managed to route myself through an unfamiliar area with the offline maps, I only noticed I was offline because it didn't have the live traffic info...

I'm not saying one is better than the other, 'cause I have no idea... haven't looked at GPS systems in 10+ years, I was just surprised how functional Google Maps is in offline mode.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:07 PM

Got a Garmin Drivesmart 60 LMT 6 for my wife as it needed to be simple. Life time maps and very easy to use. Had the time to watch Amazon for a sale and picked it up for $180 Cdn -- Just checked and it is $209.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Google is getting pretty good with its offline maps. I managed to route myself through an unfamiliar area with the offline maps, I only noticed I was offline because it didn't have the live traffic info...

I'm not saying one is better than the other, 'cause I have no idea... haven't looked at GPS systems in 10+ years, I was just surprised how functional Google Maps is in offline mode.

ARG
I agree, it is much better than it used to be. Like I said above, it really depends on what exactly you need from the GPS. If you DON'T need detailed road, lane exit info and Red light Camera, speed trap etc warning then Google will get the job done, off or on line and be better at finding things in the area. If you need deep road detail, off road maps, trails, watercourse, elevation, navigation aids on water and buoys etc then dedicated GPS is still the king.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:48 AM

I'm pulling the pin on a Garmin nuviCam LMTHD, GPS and dash cam combined
I've had several NUVI's that worked well on a trip to California I downloaded all the places I wanted to see and the NUVI never failed me even navigating bumper to bumper traffic going 70 MPH through 3 story overpasses.

I've never tried to navigate with my phone mostly because I need a 6" screen to see any detail.