Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2014, 01:38 PM

Default Career changes - Advice?

So as some of you know, I started nursing school at MRU this past fall after having been in industrial construction/framing for 8-9 years. After going through this year of nursing school I have decided it is not for me. I'm glad I tried and without getting into all the reasons it just isn't for me. So I have gone back to framing and here is where it gets murky.

I have known for awhile that while I love framing I don't want to stay in that trade. Compared to other trades it just isn't worth it when you weigh the pro's and con's especially when you talk to third year apprentices in other trades that are making a good chunk of money more than you. My original plan was to stay framing for awhile until I figured out what I wanted to do but now my boss is forcing us guys that were either payroll or self employed to create a limited company. I'm reluctant to create a limited company when I wasn't planning on staying in framing long term anyways. So I feel it has forced my hand to figure out what I want to do rather quickly. I'm planning on staying in the trades but unsure of which one. I like working with wood so cabinet/finishing work is interesting. Plumbing seems to be a good option. Electrician is out as frankly electricity scares me. lol. A friend suggested looking at elevator tech's although I would like to live rural later on and I'm not sure how much work there would be.

I guess my requirements are to not be outside full time in the winter, I like a varied work environment to keep things fresh, make a decent wage and not have to live camp life. I'd be willing to do it for a bit but not for ever.

Thoughts/advice? Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long read.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:21 PM

The elevator tech thing is like joining the mafia, I hear its difficult to get in/ you have to know somebody to get hired, though I might be proven incorrect on that. The pay seems to be one of the best for the trades though, but you mentioned you didn't like electricity and that's easily 50% of that job.

HVAC has a fair bit of electrical too, and also pays fairly well. The refrigeration mechanics can specialize in just doing commercial work like rooftop units, or perhaps industrial refrigeration (again, there one works with some big voltage).

Plumbing generally only deals with electrical from the switch/disconnect to our equipment be it a sump pump, circulator, fan motor, etc. We do have to learn a reasonable bit of electrical and can pick up more yet depending on what your work focus is. A guy roughing-in new homes or piping a commercial buildings all the time might not ever need to know how to configure & wire all of the controls/ zone valves/ pump relays/ zone valve end-switches on a fancy hot water heating system, but a guy doing custom houses or commercial service & troubleshooting would.

There's also the millwright trade, or if you don't mind working out of town and being in camp you could also look at steamfitting (I might cross train for it myself). On the dispatch board for the 488 union of plumbers, pipe fitters and steamfitters there are tons of positions for steamies right now; yesterday was something like 88 and last Friday was 124 (this is the Edmonton local that dispatches Ft Mac).
Old 05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Banned

Got a friend that almost thought he had an elevator tech job...and yeah, it does sound like one of those "gotta know someone" to get in jobs, and great once you do get in. ....I think I've said too much. Gotta go.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:47 PM

I should clarify that I don't mind dealing with a bit of electricity. Just that the big stuff scares me ie. three-phase etc. Really like being scared of anything, it's just a lack of knowledge on my part.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Have you ever heard of Cathodic Protection? CP Technician is now a recognized trade in Alberta.

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trad...profiles/2101/

PM me if you want to know more.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:08 PM

I understand the essence of cathodic protection in that it uses metals that "give up" electron's easier than the metals they are protecting. I didn't know it was a trade.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:14 PM

There is a lot of opportunity in this field.
We focus on existing CP system analysis for pipelines. Not much for direct high voltage work.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 PM

A CNC or manual machinist. The trade is always interesting and will always be in demand. CNC is more a production type of job where a manual machinsit is all hands on production or prototype machining.

Lots of oil and gas work but there are all sorts of industries that use machining. Shipyards,mining, agricultural, military, etc.

Interesting note: a metal lathe is the only machine that can reproduce itself.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:22 PM

I would recommend the millwright trade. Although you can end outside sometimes depending on the job it is a very diverse trade that you can branch off in many directions. Also you will not be doing the same thing everyday, especially if you are in a plant maintainence type of job. Also lots of work everywhere and the money can be very good.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:26 PM

What about EMS? Depending on what part of Nursing you didn't like it may be right up your alley. Takes about a year to a year in a half to complete your EMT and around 10-15 grand I believe. You can do your EMR first which is around 1000 and gives you a basic idea of what to expect for EMT school and on the job. The biggest downside with it is that it's tough to land a full time job once your done school.

Could also look into Forestry, it gives you lots of options for jobs from what I hear.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:57 PM

Stay away from aviation....

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Banned

If you like building things, maybe try welding. Lots of inside and outside work
Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
A CNC or manual machinist. The trade is always interesting and will always be in demand. CNC is more a production type of job where a manual machinsit is all hands on production or prototype machining.

Lots of oil and gas work but there are all sorts of industries that use machining. Shipyards,mining, agricultural, military, etc.

Interesting note: a metal lathe is the only machine that can reproduce itself.
One of the best trades. I own electrical company that services: 90% machine shops and 10% welding shops. Welders are well paid and good benefits but always smoky environment, most of welders work outside in different weather conditions. Machinists: good pay, good benefits, work inside a building. Like any trade you have to start from the bottom (shop hand) and depending on your motivation, you can be very good at it within few years.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Plumbing generally only deals with electrical from the switch/disconnect to our equipment be it a sump pump, circulator, fan motor, etc. We do have to learn a reasonable bit of electrical and can pick up more yet depending on what your work focus is. A guy roughing-in new homes or piping a commercial buildings all the time might not ever need to know how to configure & wire all of the controls/ zone valves/ pump relays/ zone valve end-switches on a fancy hot water heating system, but a guy doing custom houses or commercial service & troubleshooting would.
Caber - What's your take on plumbing these days? What does the job market look like for entry level jobs?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 PM

Smile Framing to Nursing to ???

Is that basically it?

That is so resume. You must have thought of what you wanted to do when you were framing and freezing, also when you were working nights on a nusing shift.

It now seems you are trying to find out what trade will pay the most.

I think it was Confucius who was one of the world's great philosophers;

If you want to be happy for;

one day, buy a bottle of wine
two years, get married
For life, make you avocation your vocation.

Good luck, I'd follow your dreams, not the money. But that is just me.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Millwright, machinist and cathodic protection are all trades I hadn't thought of, which is exactly why I posted on here. Lots to chew on.... Thanks guys.

Each job has its pros and cons and I just have to see what is the best fit for myself.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Is that basically it?

That is so resume. You must have thought of what you wanted to do when you were framing and freezing, also when you were working nights on a nusing shift.

It now seems you are trying to find out what trade will pay the most.

I think it was Confucius who was one of the world's great philosophers;

If you want to be happy for;

one day, buy a bottle of wine
two years, get married
For life, make you avocation your vocation.

Good luck, I'd follow your dreams, not the money. But that is just me.
Yeah it's a bit odd for sure. I've always had my first aid so it was something to try which in hindsight was other's ideas impressed upon me.

While I would like a well paying job and we all have different ideas of what that is, I'm not chasing the money. If I was chasing money, I'd be up north working shift work on the rigs or still working industrial construction. I took a $12/hr paycut when I quit that job to not be on the road all the time. I'm just trying to find a better balance than what I have currently.

Are there any cabinet makers or trim guys on here?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
Caber - What's your take on plumbing these days? What does the job market look like for entry level jobs?

Things seem to be going well, but I'm on service and that's generally the case; stuff always breaks. Its like in the Wealthy Barber: hair always grows. The construction lads are the ones who ride the economic tides to a greater extent than service guys. After a year or two on construction a fellow has a better concept of the basic guts of a building, which is what is most beneficial on service; you kind of need to superimpose what should be behind a wall or under the concrete floor to get to the root of some issues. For an apprenticeship I'd look at commercial plumbing work as there's more to learn, you'd be with a crew to learn from and the workmanship aspect is better reinforced. A spell on a shovel doing ground work in warehousing or a condo, some time running some heating lines, then water lines, then cast iron drainage and gas lines would round you out for basic skills. The downside (and upside, being a tool guy) is the absurd amount invested in tools. A framers tools can be a start, then all of the pipe specialty tools, threaders, torches + tips, sockets, ammeter, voltmeter, digital manometer (gas pressure gauge), combustible gas sniffer, sockets, impact drivers, diamond drill bits for tile, electricians knock-out punches, bearing and pulley pullers, drain augers, pipe thawers, pipe freezing kits, large jackhammers, pipe benders, tri-stands.......

Once a guy has a better understanding of the basics they can transition to service. I think service might be possible off the start, but a guy would have to be paired up helping a JM as you can't just throw him to the lions straight away.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:12 AM

My ex owns a Cathodic Protection consulting company.
There be a LOT of buried assets in Alberta and as it ages it is important to manage those risks.
You would likely never be out of work in your lifetime-plus you get to ride a quad at work.
Makes a fair wad of cash-not that she needs it- she got the house in the divorce
Old 05-02-2014, 07:21 AM

Instumentation Tech?

Personally I like the trades where I can walk away at 58 or so and still have my back in good form. Why retire if you can't still golf, right?

^^^^^^
That Cathodic Protection sounds like a sweet gig... Always wondered about that stuff myself.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorram View Post
Stay away from aviation....
Good advice. As much as I enjoy aviation, I could have made more working just about any other job. However I have found a niche market and my salary is reasonable. However I am away from home lots, and some of the places I have worked people shoot at me.

Yesterday I saw an add that said that CN is looking for new conductors. Might be an interesting occupation and lots of chance to see the countryside.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:51 PM

What is it you want from life ??? What is the real reason you went into nursing ... health care .... help people ... $$ ... hours ... remember you only get one shot at life .... I would urge you to follow your passion.....
Old 05-02-2014, 03:54 PM

A Man Asks Mike Rowe For Life Advice. He Destroys His "Dream" In The Best Way Possible. link provided

"Many people today resent the suggestion that they’re in charge of the way the feel. But trust me, Parker. Those people are mistaken."

http://news.distractify.com/people/m...h-him-100/?v=1

Quote:
A Man Asks Mike Rowe For Life Advice. He Destroys His "Dream" In The Best Way Possible.

Mike Rowe is an actor and comedian best known as the host of The Discovery Channel's hit show, Dirty Jobs. Needless to say, he gets a ton of fan mail from people who wish to take the road less traveled in life...and one fan asked him how he might be able to find his "dream job." Mike's reply? Epic.

are you mr parker!?