Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 PM

Default He Caught a Monster Bull Trout!!!

Check out this monster bull my friend landed!
https://youtu.be/Zugewcewb3w
Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 PM

Great fish but if they were as the sonar indicated fishing at 68ft. no good.

Most likely from that depth the fish will not survive after release.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post

Haha actually anything over 30 feet you don't want to rush a fish in too fast, whoever told you that has deprived you from some great deep water fishing! Thanks for watching.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:32 PM

Lakers in lakes that see moderate pressure I find burp up air just fine. They have adapted to being hauled up a few atmospheres, fish are very resilient it turns out. Their mortality rate is not nearly as bad as it seems specifically for lakers on moderate pressure lakes. Cold lake for example, you can watch on your sonar as the fish rockets back down to a safe depth, burping up air and staying perfectly upright in the process. Its truly fascinating how adaptable most fish species are.

Now if you access a lake that doesn't see much pressure at all the fish will not be used to this type of handling and most will die from the rapid depth change. When you are fishing these kinds of remote lakes its best to limit your impact and maybe only fish for that one good fish and take one good picture instead of going hard all day catching & releasing multiple fish. Those remote lakes are for more than just the fish anyways, most of the time the view & experience of being in such a tranquil location makes the trip worth it. Ripping up 40 fish and killing almost all of them just to say you had a good day of fishing is kind of counter productive IMO. Get your pictures, and leave the rest of em' alone for next time.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:48 PM

It's not about how deep you are fishing them, when you are fishing anything deep water you don't rush the fish in you bring them up slowly. It makes no sense that fish that are used to it go down easier, char of similar size will all have the same probability, I have seen people bring up lake trout too fast in the past and you will definitely notice if it had any issues coming too fast as it looks like it swallowed a grapefruit lol maybe IL share some tips on the topic in my next video.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:03 PM

Last edited by NSR Fisher; 01-16-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:38 PM

Good article to read here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/boating...-in-deep-water

Slowly bringing up fish has little to no effect on whether they survive. It's been proven in multiple studies. IMO it increases the chance it will die because now the fish is exhausted as well as being effected by barotrauma. The best way to ensure a healthy release is to make sure the fish is back at a safe depth ASAP.

Honestly though there is no perfect way to fish deep. Its best to limit your impact in these situations (by reducing how many fish you plan to catch), get your good picture/video and then pack up and leave. Repeatedly catching fish at that depth is just not ethical, with a few exceptions.

The exception is that some lake trout (specifically ones that have adapted to years of catch and release) "burp" air during rapid depth change. They are one of the only species that can be ethically targeted at depth.

Your videos are awesome man keep it up, and don't take this comment as me saying you're hurting fish on purpose or anything, its just part of the game when you're fishing that deep. Even the best handled fish has a chance of dying.

I'll definitely be tuning into the next episode to get your take on how you handle deep water fishing!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 PM

To be honest you handle your fish great Rick I've watched lots of your videos and you do a better job than me most times. Don't take my comments as me trying to take a shot at you or anything you're a model fisherman IMO and I'd share a fishing spot with you any day of the week.

To further explain my point though it makes perfect sense that fish that have adapted to "burping" are more likely to survive a rapid depth change.

Its not normal for Lakers (or any fish) to have that rapid depth change, but because for over 100 years now people have been hauling them up and putting them back they have adapted to survive this kind of handling, and Lake trout are one of the only species that have adapted to this.

Perch, Walleye, etc cannot "burp" and no matter what you do that fish will most likely die if caught >30 feet or so. Its just a sad fact, not saying you're trying to hurt fish or that you're a bad guy or anything just stating facts. There's no magic speed at which you can bring these other species up, its just biology at work unfortunately.

Again, please don't let this comment cast a shadow on your awesome videos. You do a great job and its pretty common for people to misunderstand fish biology in regards to rapid depth change. There are still guys out there who think "fizzing" a fish will help for example, haha. They aren't bad guys either they just want to help the fish, and can you really get mad at someone for simply not knowing?

Tight lines Rick and I can't wait for the next video
Old 01-16-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post

Bull trout are char and burp just like lakers do.

I disagree with NSR Fishers comments about bringing them up fast though as well as the article linked to. The article linked to is obviously talking about fish species that are not capable of burping in which case although bringing them up slowly would help you would have to do so too slowly to be practical. Think of it this way, if rate had no effect every perch and walleye that goes into deep water would suffer from barotrauma when they come back into shallow water(something they do on a regular basis but slowly to avoid the side effects).

Many species such as lakers, bull trout etc are capable of burping and giving them time to burp on the way up is crucial. If you horse them in then they will either come to the surface full of air and burp at the surface or in some cases once at the surface will not be able to burp for whatever reason. Reeling them in slower definitely has an effect as they release air multiple times instead of having to try and release it once they are already swollen and at the surface.

If you fish Cold Lake enough you will notice this and you will also see the floaters left by the guys that horse up the little trout with no regard for their well being.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
To be honest you handle your fish great Rick I've watched lots of your videos and you do a better job than me most times. Don't take my comments as me trying to take a shot at you or anything you're a model fisherman IMO and I'd share a fishing spot with you any day of the week.

To further explain my point though it makes perfect sense that fish that have adapted to "burping" are more likely to survive a rapid depth change.

Its not normal for Lakers (or any fish) to have that rapid depth change, but because for over 100 years now people have been hauling them up and putting them back they have adapted to survive this kind of handling, and Lake trout are one of the only species that have adapted to this.

Perch, Walleye, etc cannot "burp" and no matter what you do that fish will most likely die if caught >30 feet or so. Its just a sad fact, not saying you're trying to hurt fish or that you're a bad guy or anything just stating facts. There's no magic speed at which you can bring these other species up, its just biology at work unfortunately.

Again, please don't let this comment cast a shadow on your awesome videos. You do a great job and its pretty common for people to misunderstand fish biology in regards to rapid depth change. There are still guys out there who think "fizzing" a fish will help for example, haha. They aren't bad guys either they just want to help the fish, and can you really get mad at someone for simply not knowing?

I really don't believe in your adaptation theory. I've never read the thesis or any corroborating facts. People have been doing catch and release in Cold Lake for over 100 years? Was there a slot size 100 years ago? Really? I've had lakers come up from under 100' chasing my bait that I'm double timing to the top and take it less than 20' from the surface. I've experienced this many times. Lakers are not adapting (by recovering) from rapid depth changes because of their too frequent interaction with anglers; that thinking is rooted in some kind of fact-less lets hang more shame on anglers...
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I really don't believe in your adaptation theory. I've never read the thesis or any corroborating facts. People have been doing catch and release in Cold Lake for over 100 years? Was there a slot size 100 years ago? Really? I've had lakers come up from under 100' chasing my bait that I'm double timing to the top and take it less than 20' from the surface. I've experienced this many times. Lakers are not adapting (by recovering) from rapid depth changes because of their too frequent interaction with anglers; that thinking is rooted in some kind of fact-less lets hang more shame on anglers...
I think he was having a poke at comedy, if not it`s likely terminal.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post

Yeah for sure everyone is entitled to their own theories! I appreciate you watching. We will have to agree to disagree as I have caught many fish from deep water and never had an issue with release because I always bring up the fish slowly, it really makes the difference and I have never had an issue in all my years, it is an interesting topic though!
Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 AM
Banned

Just a lil guy!
Old 01-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Just a lil guy!
Lol! Then mine was a minnow I guess!
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Banned

Your photobucket pics aren’t working. Maybe try loading direct through the file manager. Now if I may ask what kind of size/weights are bull trout capable of reaching? I have a co-worker who claims to have a few spots where he consistently catches 10-15 pounders with regularity which I have my reservations about but I have zero knowledge of bulls and maybe just maybe he isn’t feeding me a line of bull after all? Maybe I’m missing out on catching a trophy size bull for a nice replica mount?
Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
Your photobucket pics aren’t working. Maybe try loading direct through the file manager. Now if I may ask what kind of size/weights are bull trout capable of reaching? I have a co-worker who claims to have a few spots where he consistently catches 10-15 pounders with regularity which I have my reservations about but I have zero knowledge of bulls and maybe just maybe he isn’t feeding me a line of bull after all? Maybe I’m missing out on catching a trophy size bull for a nice replica mount?
Yes^^^^^^^^^. None of the photobucket pictures are showing

DO NOT USE PHOTOBUCKET FOR ANYTHING. It's useless...

Recommend IMGUR for photo hosting.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Yes^^^^^^^^^. None of the photobucket pictures are showing

DO NOT USE PHOTOBUCKET FOR ANYTHING. It's useless...

Recommend IMGUR for photo hosting.
It only works if you’re willing to pay for third party image hosting...$400!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:20 PM

I will admit that perhaps it was not human caused adaption (that's my personal theory), but it is definitely true that lakers can burp air. Maybe naturally they are more likely to chase bait vertically very quickly like suspended cisco's, so they have naturally developed the ability to burp and they are one of the only fish to do so.

I'm not a bioligst by any means and I'm still learning things myself. I was just sharing what I have learned from studies combined with my own theory.

For example, you can release a walleye that was caught in 40 feet and he might not look bloated when he comes up, that's because his swim bladder has already popped letting the air out and sure he swims away fine only to die of internal bleeding hours later. Just because visibly a fish does not appear to show signs of barotrauma doesn't necessarily mean they are fine.

That DOES NOT mean stop fishing deep, its just maybe make the call after you get your good picture/video/limit out on keepers you should pack up for the day. Again, I'm not trying to shame guys into not fishing deep. I'm just making sure that nobody is getting the wrong idea thinking they can save a deep caught fishes life. I fully support any kind of fishing within the law, and there is no law against fishing deep. It's your license, do what you please within your means!

These discussions are great to have and I love hearing everyone elses thoughts/opinions on this matter so by all means feel free to chime in with your own theories!