Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 11:42 PM

Default Transporting rifles into USA for hunting

My son and I have gotten drawn for antelope in Montana
We are working on getting permission to take our rifles into the USA.

I have already downloaded form ATF 6N1A (also known as 5330.D)
Most of it is quite straightforward.

Some questions:
Column h: Firearms Registration Certificate Number [I assume that this is no longer applicable, as we no longer have to register long guns]

Ammunition
They ask for name and address of manufacturer
If you handload, should you put your own name and address or should you just put down the manufacturer of the brass? Do you need factory boxes or are plastic ammunition boxes OK?
Is it simply easier to take factory ammunition in factory boxes, then to take a chance on being turned back with hand loads? That is an option for us.

Under ammunition type, given the choices listed, I assume that 'ball' is correct.

I would appreciate remarks from people who have recent experience with this.
Other helpful comments about getting rifles back into Canada, transportation of meat, etc. would also be appreciated.
Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Yes, I did do some searching on here, but most threads were very dated.
Thanks in advance
Hawkeye
Old 07-23-2016, 09:57 AM

Was down last year pig hunting.

Column H for long guns N/A

I use handloads, I use the name and address of the brass as the manufacturer. Ball is correct. I transport the ammo in green KTM cases but if you have factory boxes that match the brass it couldn't hurt to put them in that.

I have never had them actually check the ammo or the specific guns I was bringing in. Declared guns at window, took the paperwork to the counter, they went over it, said you are good to go. Have crossed a few times in the last 5 years, same routine.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:07 AM

"Ball" would be incorrect, the correct type would be "Soft Point",
"Hollow Point" or "Expanding Monometal". Don't give them any reason to reject you at the border.

"Ball" refers to FMJ ammunition which you are not allowed to hunt with in most jurisdictions.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:51 AM

Default 6nia

My sons 6 nia was returned because they want to know who reloaded the ammunition this what they want to see

Name and address of manufacturer. Hand loads by applicant

Type. Soft point. Or whatever bullet type you are using

Make sure you are using the form that was revised in 2014 if you use an older form they will reject it

Column H is answered N/A as we in western Canada don't have a long gun registry

On your way down to Montana stop at the Canadian side and get your guns registered on form Y38 it proves the guns come into the states from Canada
Old 07-24-2016, 09:59 AM

I took gun to Alaska last year Soft point was correct. Just get factory boxes of the same caliber. Remember you are dealing with bureaucrats. They will email you your accepted form back. I cleared US customs through Calgary. All they wanted to see was the form . Never looked at firearm or ammunition?
When I returned Canadian customs Looked at the firearm but that was the extent of it I needed an export permit from Alaska and citties permit s all was good. A call to the border crossing would be worth it.
Good luck!!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:01 AM

One word of caution.
Whatever ammo you have on your Form 6 is all you can have with you. If you happen to purchase ammo in the US and you get stopped you will be in violation of their laws. This can be a difficult situation.
The guys that patrol the border in the green and white vehicles are who most likely will stop you. They are looking for ammo/firearm violations. It's not a big deal if your paper work is in order.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:57 AM

Default 6nia

If you have a valid US hunting license you can purchase and consume ammunition but not export it out of United States
Old 07-24-2016, 04:29 PM

6nia: correct.
I should have pointed that out.