Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Default 8 mm Mauser rounds

Is there any shops in Edmonton selling this cartridge? I just want to target practice. Anything online the shipping hikes the cost considerably. I have read that most commercial 8mm is anemic and surplus can be sketchy. Shooting with a Hakim.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:47 AM

If you order ten boxes or so from Tradex it adds very little to the cost of the ammo. You aren't likely to find any in CT, Wally World so only choice is to call P and D and Ditch Donkey.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker12 View Post
Is there any shops in Edmonton selling this cartridge? I just want to target practice. Anything online the shipping hikes the cost considerably. I have read that most commercial 8mm is anemic and surplus can be sketchy. Shooting with a Hakim.
Canadian Tire in South Edmonton Common used to have the full power S&B brand 8mm Mauser as a regular stocking item. Don't know if they still carry it.

Try also the Edmonton Gun Show coming up at end of November.

If you are shooting out of a semi-automatic regularly you may want to consider reloading. It won't take long to recover your basic setup costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you order ten boxes or so from Tradex it adds very little to the cost of the ammo. You aren't likely to find any in CT, Wally World so only choice is to call P and D and Ditch Donkey.
Who is Ditch Donkey? Is that Martin of Swamp Donkey?
Old 10-26-2019, 11:49 PM

I started reloading recently for a scoped Yugo 48A. I used corrosive 150 grain surplus to get the rifle on paper and it's terrible. The first test batch of reloads shot 1.5 inch groups compared to 5 inch on surplus.

I'd try P&D as they have a good selection of everything. Apparently the sniper ammo for these was in the 196 gr region as the rifle has a long throat.

I also resize 3006 brass for the 8 mm. Pop them into the resizing die and trim off excess with a hacksaw. Clean up the case mouths and pop them into 8 mm dies and reload. It does not take long and you end up with lots of brass.

Last edited by Rdamours; 10-27-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
Canadian Tire in South Edmonton Common used to have the full power S&B brand 8mm Mauser as a regular stocking item. Don't know if they still carry it.

Try also the Edmonton Gun Show coming up at end of November.

If you are shooting out of a semi-automatic regularly you may want to consider reloading. It won't take long to recover your basic setup costs.

Who is Ditch Donkey? Is that Martin of Swamp Donkey?
Yes, Swamp Donkey is what I meant. Martin probably won't have it in stock but he will order it for you.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:41 PM

I'd say P&D is your best bet. 8x57 is getting hard to find these days. Reloading is recommended to ensure a steady economical supply.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:03 AM

Default ammo free shipping

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...nds-variation/
Old 10-31-2019, 09:42 PM

I’ve seen the surplus at Canada ammo sometimes it’s on sale for $200.00 and there was a thread on gun nuts about it being hot and flattened primers etc but had good reviews on a US supplier site. If Tradex doesn’t get any stock in the future I will try a small box from Canada ammo. Seen S+B at Canadian Tire south common, pricey at $50 a box to target practice.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:23 AM

Caroline supplies usually has some.