Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-08-2016, 11:49 AM

I totaly agree, as thing seem to be much better on here these days I plan on contributing more and sharing my escapades.

As for the stand, its the same basic idea as yours but I use the ring to pinch the uprights inbetween the trap bars. It seems to really help stabalize the trap as Iset in current from time to time.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:35 PM

If you have multiple brand traps, it is better to have a " pinch" set up H-stand..nothing worse than grabbing 3 stands and traps walking half a mile and realize your stands won't fit the traps you brought..lol
Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 PM

Today's check!

The badger gods smiled upon me and I saw this guy out and about!

I watched the badger go in the hole and then went over and set a trap. I had to excavate the entrance with my axe to make room for the trap. I set the trap and then blocked the hole back down with a fence post and a bit of cardboard. I covered everything with snow to only leave a small exit. I think this is as close to a sure thing as trapping gets. I'm excited to check tomorrow!

Last edited by Tfng; 03-08-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Banned

Great looking mitts 7MM. Realy like the Beaver Head motive.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 PM

I didn't think about the snow that fell in the hole freezing. I think that might be trouble if that badger hasn't come out yet.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:30 PM

Wow your having pretty good luck with those stands. How many beaver have you caught now?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:50 PM

Good looking beavers TFNG good luck on the digger
Old 03-08-2016, 08:51 PM

I've got 12 since I started. I've lost track of what was snared and what was caught in conibears. I've got six using those stands.

Antlercarver called it when he said I would catch smaller beaver though. I'm still catching some nice ones though so I'll carry on.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
Good looking beavers TFNG good luck on the digger
I've never caught one so I'm hopeful. The more I think about it the more concerned I get about that trap freezing down.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I've never caught one so I'm hopeful. The more I think about it the more concerned I get about that trap freezing down.
You thnk hes got another hole for exit .? Dont they come out ars first or is that just when they fill it in back in going down .?
Any way good luck the fur should be good in your area sill
Old 03-08-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
You thnk hes got another hole for exit .? Dont they come out ars first or is that just when they fill it in back in going down .?
Any way good luck the fur should be good in your area sill
There's no other hole. I sure hope he doesn't come out backwards.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:14 PM

They come out head first..you could try some beaver as bait..beware they are stinky like really stinky..

Thanks Waterninja....
Old 03-09-2016, 02:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstwguy View Post
So you walk the whole line up in the bush? then snares would be a better option for you. What seems like more work to you is less work to me.
I did walk my lines in the beginning, but when Ski Doos came out I got one ASAP and seldom walked from set to set afterwards. But weight was still a major concern. One can only pack so much gear and fur in a sleigh, when you have deep snow and steep hills to contend with.

I use snares under the ice and coni's in open water. The coni's are mostly shore sets, like this one;

This set connected on three beaver in three days before I pulled it to concentrate on another colony.

A typical snare setup of mine;

And the first checking;

I've posted these photos before. They're all I've got.
When these photos were taken there was no such thing as digital photography and I was raising a young family so I didn't have a lot of money to spend on photography. It was expensive back then. Plus those cameras had a bad habit of failing when they got cold.

I wish now that I had taken tons of photos. There is so much I think you guys would find interesting, if I could show you what I'm taking about.
But it is what it is.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-09-2016, 03:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Today's check!

I watched the badger go in the hole and then went over and set a trap. I had to excavate the entrance with my axe to make room for the trap. I set the trap and then blocked the hole back down with a fence post and a bit of cardboard. I covered everything with snow to only leave a small exit. I think this is as close to a sure thing as trapping gets. I'm excited to check tomorrow!
I love the Photos!
Looks like you have a pretty good handle on Beaver trapping.
It's not the number that counts, it's knowing how to catch the ones you are after be that one Beaver or one thousand Beaver.

Very cool to have a Badger on your line. I've never been in a position to trap one, we don't have them up here. But I've seen a few, when I was going to High School in Wetaskiwin, back in the very early 70s. 70, 71 and 72 actually. Got married in 73 and returned to the north to work Sisemic and trap. Not in the same year.

Anyway, the set looks good to me, but what do I know, I've never caught one.
Just a thought, You did make sure there was enough room for the jaws to swing? I didn't, once. Missed a good super with that mistake.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Today's check!

Badgers usually come out backwards hopefully it works for you, if not use a bucket type cubby with some beaver meat.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 AM

Out of all the badgers, I have ever seen who came out of the hole to see me they were head first...let me tell I am pretty leary going up to a fresh badger hole.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Banned

Head first for me also and I,ve caught my share . They do push the trap aside at times and for that reason I use 4 inch nails to stabilize my 330.Make very sure it is anchored solid because a body catch will be a hunt for both the trap and the badger.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:05 PM

Default Beaver knife

Even though I never tried it some trappers sharpen the knife on one side only.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:11 PM

Are you talking about a fleshing knife?..I was taught how to use a moose leg bone for skinning beaver..once you learn how and get the technique..nothing is faster or cleaner. I like frost scraping but it wasn't even close to cold enough this winter.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
Here's my take on making money on beaver's,sell carcass for bear bait $20,do the skulls and sell them$10,castor $30-$40lb,tan hide and sell as is $75-100 or turn into pair of gauntlets $250-300 so potential of $445 ish on high side and $395 ish low side,so there is money in beaver's,there is work involved in getting and putting up,but IMO there is money to be made and time in the outdoors is pricless,cheers Peter,my 2 cents worth
Looks like the price on my beavers just went up Peter .. LOL !
Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 PM

Sorry no pics today guys. I did catch a nice 58 pound beaver but that was it. I pulled out of the house I caught the big one out of and moved the traps to a fresh house.

That badger did come out but I hadn't made enough room for the trap and it caught the edge of the hole. It makes me mad because I was aware of the need to have enough room for the jaws to swing. I just underestimated how big the hole needed to be. A couple more swings with the axe and I would have had my first badger. Instead I got three badger hairs.

Antlercarver I have considered sharpening only one side of the knife. The knife is working but I had the edge so fine it was not durable. I've been increasing the angle as I go.

7mmstw. I've heard of people using shin bones for clean skinning before. You must like it if you do all your beaver that way. Is it hard to learn how? Is the risk of damaging the hide less using the bone?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Sorry no pics today guys. I did catch a nice 58 pound beaver but that was it. I pulled out of the house I caught the big one out of and moved the traps to a fresh house.

That badger did come out but I hadn't made enough room for the trap and it caught the edge of the hole. It makes me mad because I was aware of the need to have enough room for the jaws to swing. I just underestimated how big the hole needed to be. A couple more swings with the axe and I would have had my first badger. Instead I got three badger hairs.

Antlercarver I have considered sharpening only one side of the knife. The knife is working but I had the edge so fine it was not durable. I've been increasing the angle as I go.

7mmstw. I've heard of people using shin bones for clean skinning before. You must like it if you do all your beaver that way. Is it hard to learn how? Is the risk of damaging the hide less using the bone?
Sorry you missed the Badger, I learned that lesson the same way, not the best way to learn but perhaps the way that makes the longest lasting impression. Tough luck.

58lbs. That's big, but how big.

Do trappers these days refer to beaver size using pelt measurement?

That's the way I learned and it's what I understand. You know, Kit= under 42", small= 42-49", medium = 50-54" , large = 55- 59", extra large = 60-64", blanket = 65-69", super blanket = 70-75". double super = anything over 75". I only saw one double super in my life and I wasn't the one to catch it. As I recall it measured 84" tail to ears plus width.
If memory serves, I believe that one weighed around 120lbs.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-09-2016, 08:57 PM

I'm not sure how to measure them Keg. Length +width?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how to measure them Keg. Length +width?
Dumb question. I measured the biggest one and its 71 inches and the one caught today is close so probably in the high sixties I guess
Old 03-09-2016, 10:40 PM

BEAVER
SIZE LENGTH
2XL–3XL Over 165.0cm Over 65"
XL 152.5 – 165.0cm 60"– 65"
LGE 140.0 – 152.5cm 55"– 60"
LM 129.5 – 140.0cm 51"– 55"
MED 119.5 – 129.5cm 47"– 51"
SM 107.0 – 119.5cm 42"– 47"
X-SM Under 107.0cm Under 42"

Right from NAFA length plus width
But if you over stretch you get a down grade to damaged
Old 03-09-2016, 11:03 PM

I've looked at that chart a bunch. I realize it doesn't make sense if you don't add the width to the length but it says only length. I looked through the pelt handling manuals and didn't find if they measure to the eyes or ears or overall length after the nose is trimmed. I measured that beaver to the eyes.

Thanks bill.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:47 AM

Its the front leg shin bone, cut on an angle...I have seen a guy use a pipe...maybe 1"-1 1/2". It depends how big your hands are. Cut it on a angle that works for you,
Split the beaver, I use a carpet hook Olfa. Cut tail and feet off..
you want to push the fat from the hide when you start, you can even push around the legs, seated is best, if you can lay the beaver on something that puts it a good working height while your sitting.
After you get it started you want grab the hide in one hand, put the fur against your leg and and with the bone in the other hand pump it back and forth like your getting ketchup out of glass bottle..lol
Little bit of skinning on the head
You want to hit the hide and the fat and meat will stay on the carcass. Best start out on little beavers way easier than big ones.
Some still use bones for fleshing, say like a moose hide, they run leather strapping around the joint, put their hand on the joint and strap it on.
.I know I am not the best at explaining...

I am going to try the pressure washer method this year ...
Old 03-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Great thread! Very educational and entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstwguy View Post
Are you talking about a fleshing knife?..I was taught how to use a moose leg bone for skinning beaver..once you learn how and get the technique..nothing is faster or cleaner. I like frost scraping but it wasn't even close to cold enough this winter.
I made these for fleshing all kinds of hides and skins.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 PM

I think I'll give it a try next year using a shin bone. Now's not the time for new things. The beaver are coming in pretty steady and keeping me busy.

I like those tools walking Buffalo. I had a deer antler I used lots for skinning coyotes, I've misplaced it for a while now though. I found the smooth tine with a bit blunter tip worked well pulling legs etc.

I slipped out of work early to pick up some firewood and made a last minute decision to check the fresh house I set yesterday. It was a beautiful afternoon and it's starting to melt so I decided to walk instead of risking tearing up the pasture. I grabbed a chunk of rope thinking I could carry two small beaver or one big one. About half way through my more than a quarter mile walk down the creek I ran into flood water under the snow. I was in my work boots but they're mostly waterproof so I continued.

I knew something was caught because I could see my stands weren't exactly where I left them!

I pulled the traps and had three beaver. I was almost disappointed lol.

I decided to slide them out through the snow. Maybe not recommended but I didn't care at that point. I mostly pulled them and then tied them together and carried them up out of the coulee. I earned my fifty bucks today!

Old 03-11-2016, 12:42 AM

Awesome your doing great..trust me a beaver is way harder on their own fur than you can do by dragging them through snow. When its really cold thats how you dry the fur out.