Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-16-2016, 03:13 PM
Banned

1/16 x19 snares will catch any extremity on a Beaver , Tail , legs feet, bottom jaw nose etc. If their thing hung out it would get caught in there also!
Old 02-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Banned

Generaly an overnight catch will not get frozen under the ice , They have to gas up before they float up enough to freeze . Unless they die with their back sticking out of the water than yes they freeze in .
Old 02-16-2016, 03:20 PM

But would you catch extremities more reliably with a 7x7?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:39 PM

Here's the reason I'm so staunchly defending my choice of 5/64 7x7. I tried to copy paste the text but couldn't make it happen. Text and pic courtesy of Rally Hess. He snares unbelievable numbers of beaver.

This is from the first link I posted, it gets good on page 3. He catches the odd muskrat in beaver snares and had to switch from 5/64 7x7 because he was catching too many otters.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Banned

I never use 7x7 so cant comment as to their effectiveness, But I see your percentages increase as your cable diameter gets lower , why not use 1/16 and increase the catch ? I realize you said 1/16 was in your opinion too small and marked up the skin too much , but is this something NAFA said was detrimental to your grade? I don,t know Rally Hess and can,t speak for his ability on snaring , I have heard the name though ,And he may be the real deal ! But if its anything like the loud noise made by some of the UFC fighters I,m well ,lets say Pass the salt please! just saying! LOL
Old 02-16-2016, 08:47 PM

I hope he's the real deal, I put all my eggs in this basket. 1/16 7x7 would be miserable to get down the hole according to him.

I suspect I'll end up with some 1/16 1x19 snares as well because I only bought a hundred feet of 5/64.

I'll never catch enough beaver in snares to either prove or disprove his theory but I'll try!

I don't intend to sell any of my beaver pelts, I've got some projects in mind. I may sell some if I catch a pile.

I will admit I'm not a fan of the droopy loops and how poorly the 7x7 loads.

Last edited by Tfng; 02-16-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Banned

I'm headed to Halfords tomorrow to pick up supplies. I was looking at the various locks and other than the cam lock, everything else seems to be made for use with 1/16" cable. Does that mean that you have to modify the locks in order to use them with 5/64" cable?

Well, after pulling a bunch of snares today I went to the drainage ditch with the feedbed that I posted a picture of and the darned thing has almost drained.....about 4" of water under the ice! So much for that spot.....lol. Back to the slough on Thursday I guess.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:36 PM

3/32 locks on 5/64 cable Dave. I checked out a couple houses I had scouted in the fall and found them dry as well.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:13 PM

Well Rally was kind enough to respond to my pm and expanded on his reasoning for using small slots to set snares in. He said that it prevents a lot of knocked down snares and misses. Apparently if a beaver can get his head in the hole he will do just that and will knock the snares down with his feet. He turns the pole after putting it in so that the snares are under the ice which also helps.

As far as retrieving a beaver, cut a small v notch in the middle and get the beaver started head first.

Another interesting tidbit he gave me was that he catches 80 percent of his beavers on the top snares. Not really ground breaking news there but he also said he catches his biggest beaver on the bottom snares which I found interesting. He figures the bigger beaver know they can't get the entire pole into the lodge but the young ones just have to try and go right for the top. Maybe a guy could target larger beaver by only setting bottom snares?

Edit- I guess if there were only bottom snares the smaller beaver would chew the top of the pole off and wreck the set anyway.

Last edited by Tfng; 02-16-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 PM

Beaver spikes version 2

I've replaced the 1/8 ferrule with a small piece of heat shrink tubing. It may not be as robust as the ferrule and allow the nail to come free of the snare. It will be easier to salvage the nail after a catch though. This one is built on 3/32 since it's a prototype and I'm low on 5/64.

I wasn't sure the best way to terminate the cable to the Adams lock. I tried to make it work using a single stop but couldn't get the right bends in the cable.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:10 AM
Banned

I really like that design, TFNG. I'm wondering if hammering the nail in and then zip tying the cable would be a good idea. A small enough zip tie would break and you wouldn't have to deal with the cable, or possibly damaging the lock, when hammering in the nail.
Regardless of how the nail is attached, should a fella be concerned with the nail somehow damaging the fur?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:28 AM

I don't think so. The nail is easily pulled from the pole. It's just in enough to hold the snare in place. I considered it a bad thing if the nail came loose from the snare because I want to reuse it. It will be something to keep an eye on I guess.

The safety cable does all the work of holding the beaver.

You're removing some of the speed advantage if you're messing around with zip ties on the site I think. The beauty part of the system is you pull the snares out tap 4 nails in, run the safety cable and you're done.

Access to drive the nails is decent if the snare is closed. I built mine so the snare is under the nail when it's in position if you know what I mean.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Suspended 330 with green plastic leaves on the trigger!
Do you think that my Wife will notice a few leaves missing?

Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 AM

My vote is she will absolutely notice but it will be too late lol. A question though, do you think that beaver will use his paw to grab those leaves off the trigger or his mouth? Which part of his body do you want in the trap when it fires?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:15 AM

I have caught beavers with the green leave tied to a small chunk of willow. I have had them caught both ways. Majority great catch behind the head. I have seen many guys clamp a chunk of green willow or poplar between the jaws of the coni and not on the trigger.
The green leaves work great they are a excellent attraction.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:24 AM

So you bait your triggers as well Bill?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 AM

I have done both ways. My beslie 330 I have baited the triggers with the green leaf and a chunk of willow. My Victor conis I have put a small chunk of willow clamped between the bars on the underside of the jaws. Caution when putting stick between jaws when setting everyone knows those old Victor safety. Ensure ends of stick are cut off right close to the trap edge. I don't have much experience with the snare pole to be honest. I also catch about 10per year for bait and castor I don't target huge numbers either. So I'm not quite up to the spruce or 5911ryans numbers

Also Dave those leaves look similar to willow leaves. How much do you think could go missing before the better half catches on? Hahaha cause there maybe a fellow or 2 looking for some.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:44 AM

Thanks, Bill. I think by now most know I ask lots of questions. I've been baiting the lower bar of the trap with a stick. I like the leaves idea and will put it to use.

Everyone does it different, I just ask lots of questions and then try to make an informed decision. That's the great part about trapping, there's no one to answer to except yourself.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Thanks, Bill. I think by now most know I ask lots of questions. I've been baiting the lower bar of the trap with a stick. I like the leaves idea and will put it to use.

Everyone does it different, I just ask lots of questions and then try to make an informed decision. That's the great part about trapping, there's no one to answer to except yourself.
This is exactly why I like this forum. Most guys give there opinions and reason and can then bounce ideas off each other. What might work in one area of AB may not work elsewhere. But it is real fun to try new sets
Old 02-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Interesting discussion. It sure makes me wish my back would allow me to trap beaver again.

Most of what I'm reading here seems good to me. Although I made my sets differently than is being presented here, I do know trappers who make sets that way, and I know they catch beaver with them.

A lot of what I learned to do was done out of necessity. Back in the day we simply couldn't carry a power saw and there was no one selling pre made snares back then. Even the way we fleshed our hides and stretched them was as much a function of necessity as it was of good results.

One thing I really wonder about. In the video, the man made a huge hole.
I learned that there was an advantage to making a hole just big enough for making a set. We cut holes about eight inches by three two feet if possible, A because a smaller hole was faster and easier to make and to clean out.
B because a smaller hole froze down faster.
C because if a beaver were to get caught before the hole froze, a smaller hole made escape harder.

I also wonder about the amount of wire the man used. No doubt it is necessary with the way he makes his sets.

Our method required no extra wire for anything.
We made our snares with wire pigtail attached as I have show in photos I've posted of my snares.
We did not space our snares out from the pole, and it worked well for us, maybe spacing them out from the pole would work well where no guide pole is used as he did with his sets.
We used guide poles and did not space our snares out from the pole.
And we used a dry snare pole and a green bait pole. Only twice in my life have I had snare poles chewed off, and both times it was because I had inadvertently set the pole in the middle of the run, not to the side as I had intended. and in both cases, no catches were made until I move the pole to where it was supposed to be so no beaver were lost.

That was part of the learning process.

Most of what he said is true from my experience and even his sets would work well enough as near as I can figure. I just make mine different, that's all.

It's been nearly twenty years since I taught someone how to snare beaver.
This winter I'm helping a local fellow learn how to trap Marten and I've been advising a young fellow further south on some trapping techniques.

It's not really the same as being out there, but it's a close second and I'm loving it. So much so that I'm seriously considering making a trip south to help a young trapper learn the trade.

Honestly, right now, if I had the resources, I pack up and head south, to help where I could and tag along where ever I'm tolerated.

Unfortunately, CPP does not allow for that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-17-2016, 03:20 PM

Times are certainly different Keg, thanks for dropping in. Dad told me the other day that it was probably beaver that kept his trapping career short. They were always down in some dirty brush choked hole and very heavy, followed by hours of skinning, fleshing and boarding.

These days I roll up on a house in my pickup, jump out with a power saw and punch a bunch of holes. The hide still doesn't put itself on a board but there is lots of different ways of doing it and now information is easily shared between people thousands of miles away.

I've struggled finding the runs but I think I'm getting better. Having a little less ice this year has made thing more clear and easier to decipher.

The beaver I caught the other day was 55 pounds but it felt like a hundred by the time I got it to the truck less than a hundred yards away.

I'm interested in learning to flesh beaver on my knee this year. I've got a knife all tuned up and razor sharp. I'm kind of waiting for a small beaver to try it on first though instead of cutting up an xl beaver. I've watched videos of guys who know what they're doing and they make it look so simple but I'm sure it isn't.

I frost scraped my beaver last year and it worked great and very simple to do. I don't think we'll get the needed cold weather for that to work this year though.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Banned

TFNG you will find fleshing across the knee works very well! I do it when I,m in a hurry or getting behind with catches but generally I clean skin my catch and it works well for me . I don,t mind doing beaver at all . they are a much cleaner animal then coyotes. I set three footholds today for coyotes and took before pics. Hopeful I will connect A fellow always has high hopes when he hits a new spot! All three animals I saw and looked at in the binos did not appear to be liced up . When I grow up and learn to post pictures I will post open water and under ice catches .
Old 02-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Times are certainly different Keg, thanks for dropping in. Dad told me the other day that it was probably beaver that kept his trapping career short. They were always down in some dirty brush choked hole and very heavy, followed by hours of skinning, fleshing and boarding.

These days I roll up on a house in my pickup, jump out with a power saw and punch a bunch of holes. The hide still doesn't put itself on a board but there is lots of different ways of doing it and now information is easily shared between people thousands of miles away.

I've struggled finding the runs but I think I'm getting better. Having a little less ice this year has made thing more clear and easier to decipher.

The beaver I caught the other day was 55 pounds but it felt like a hundred by the time I got it to the truck less than a hundred yards away.

I'm interested in learning to flesh beaver on my knee this year. I've got a knife all tuned up and razor sharp. I'm kind of waiting for a small beaver to try it on first though instead of cutting up an xl beaver. I've watched videos of guys who know what they're doing and they make it look so simple but I'm sure it isn't.

I frost scraped my beaver last year and it worked great and very simple to do. I don't think we'll get the needed cold weather for that to work this year though.
If you are in the Peace River area I'd be happy to drop by and show you how to flesh a beaver on your knee, it's the only way I know how to do it.

I've never even seen a fleshing beam or draw knife in person, only in photos.

Yeah, time sure have changed. Even now, if I were still able to trap I believe I could improve my sets a lot by placing trail cameras at strategic sets to see what is really happening while I'm not there.
And underwater cameras could make learning to snare beaver, a lot simpler, in some situations, where the water is clear.

Towards the end of my trapping carrier I thought a lot about buying a sonar unit to help with finding runs and determining which way they ran and where the sticks were. But back then I had kids to feed so every dollar went into child support, there was nothing left for tech devices.
I didn't even own a camera back then, at least not until the last couple of years of my trapping carrier.

Some things never change however. The basics, how where and when never really change. And of course, the thrill of success never changes either. Not even when tech devices take the work out of trapping.

Speaking of tech devices. One device I would start with, if I were able to trap, is a fleshing machine. At least for beaver. All the other things a trapper does is fun or fulfilling, but to me, fleshing is just plain hard work.

I don't mind doing them, hard work never killed anybody, but it honestly is hard work.
It's one place where tech devices could make life a whole lot easier in a practical way. The same as snow machines did.

I remember trapping without the aid of a snow machine or any sort of vehicle. You just can't cover enough ground to make a wage trapping without some vehicle these days. Not even on a registered trap line, but back then you could. It's the way I learned in the beginning.
I wouldn't even consider trying it these days.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-17-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
My vote is she will absolutely notice but it will be too late lol. A question though, do you think that beaver will use his paw to grab those leaves off the trigger or his mouth? Which part of his body do you want in the trap when it fires?

All the Beavers I have caught this way over the last 2 years.( about 10 so not huge number) they have all been body catches! I assume that because the leaves are so small that they try to grab them as they swim through! I have never had a limb catch! Yet!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-17-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
All the Beavers I have caught this way over the last 2 years.( about 10 so not huge number) they have all been body catches! I assume that because the leaves are so small that they try to grab them as they swim through! I have never had a limb catch! Yet!
Good to hear Mark! It's just something I was advised against doing that's all. I'm glad it works for you. It's hard to know what advice is good or bad when you're learning. It's sounds like you're not the only one having good luck baiting the trigger.

Are you going after any more beaver this winter?

Keg it would be nice to stop in and get some hands on instruction but it's a 750km trip, thanks for the offer though. I'll have to settle for long distance learning and coaching I guess.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Banned

Before you fellows end up in the dog house and no beaver of any kind ! why not go to the store and buy lettuce or something ? Iceberg comes to mind it is sort of whitish and fairly solid , Or how about a thin piece of plastic or insulation . I know for a fact that beaver go for insulation when there is no poplar around . I have caught many on this crap.And I,m still sleeping in my house although in another room ! LOL
Old 02-17-2016, 04:59 PM

Green flagging tape came to mind.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Good to hear Mark! It's just something I was advised against doing that's all. I'm glad it works for you. It's hard to know what advice is good or bad when you're learning. It's sounds like you're not the only one having good luck baiting the trigger.

Are you going after any more beaver this winter?

Keg it would be nice to stop in and get some hands on instruction but it's a 750km trip, thanks for the offer though. I'll have to settle for long distance learning and coaching I guess.

We don't have a lot of standing water on our line! Only 3 ponds that actually hold beaver! I usually rotate them annually. I just set up on a monster sized hut yesterday. But only put the one baited set out! Got tired of chipping and didn't bring my chainsaw!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-17-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Before you fellows end up in the dog house and no beaver of any kind ! why not go to the store and buy lettuce or something ? Iceberg comes to mind it is sort of whitish and fairly solid , Or how about a thin piece of plastic or insulation . I know for a fact that beaver go for insulation when there is no poplar around . I have caught many on this crap.And I,m still sleeping in my house although in another room ! LOL
I bought some plastic leaves for this purpose! We have not plants of any kind I. Our house! Paid like $3 for a small bundle. My first beaver was caught with peeled potato on the trigger!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-17-2016, 05:18 PM

Good luck Mark, I would have not even started without the saw. There's more beaver in my area than I care to skin.