Old 12-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
First 17 to go to auctionAttachment 100510
Great looking pelts.....Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Had an interesting surprise Sunday morning , had one Snared and when it lifted it up to cut it loose , a weasel that had chewed a few holes into it jumped out from inside and just about made me have a Heart attack ! What a mess that little guy made ! Couldn't even salvage it ! Wish I had taken pics of it !
Now that would have been funny to see.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:08 PM

Well I got my first bait site set out today hopefully I'll have some luck.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-16-2014, 03:05 PM

Had a great check today, no marten but I did pick up a small otter in a mink set as well as a cat and a wolverine. I'm a little upset as the wolverine had been caught by someone else in a snare and had broken free before I got him. It's a beauty of a male with outstanding markings but he has a nasty cut on the top of his head that I can only imagine he got while breaking free of the snare. His neck has a slight rub as well but nothing that concerning.

The snare he had around his neck

His head wound

Old 12-16-2014, 03:13 PM

Nice Scottymac! Where is your line

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 12-16-2014, 03:20 PM

Great pics
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Nice Scottymac! Where is your line
Northern Manitoba.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:05 PM

WOW!! I would be o.k with not getting any marten with those critters
Old 12-16-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac View Post
Northern Manitoba.
Do you have any quotas on how many of each species you can take in Manitoba? ( I'm sure I could look it up but then there would be no discussion.)
Old 12-16-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Do you have any quotas on how many of each species you can take in Manitoba? ( I'm sure I could look it up but then there would be no discussion.)
No quotas
Old 12-16-2014, 06:03 PM

Nice catches scotty !Picked up a nice fox in a snare today , no more pheasants for him .lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4148.jpg (70.1 KB, 172 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:05 PM

Default trappers 2014/15

Quote:
Beautiful hides. Well done, I hope you get top dollar for them.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Nice catches scotty !Picked up a nice fox in a snare today , no more pheasants for him .lol
Nice, would like to get a few more fox myself.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Old 12-16-2014, 08:18 PM

Old 12-16-2014, 08:19 PM

Old 12-16-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Those are some fine looking pelts there! Nice job.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:07 PM

A couple more successes today. I caught my first fox at a bait site. Really nice colours and I caught my second coyote in a snare. This is a fat coyote! and stinky, wow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fox1.jpg (29.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg coyote#2.jpg (56.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
Go9od stuff Jay!! You gt the picture thing figured out. Glad you can post some pics now. Do you have any from past years as well?
Old 12-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

Couple pics from out at the line this week. Picked up 5 marten, a fisher and a couple weasel.
Also managed to finally get a marten on trail camera being caught in a 120. But you'll have to wait to see it. Should be on an upcoming episode of Trapping Inc. this season. The efficiency of our modern traps is really something to see.

Thanks to Dwils and boonerkiller for coming out for a couple days on the line.
Good times on the line. Be back again!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:15 AM

Just finished up another check yesterday. I've got 50 marten boxes out right now and the results have been pretty slow this year so far. I seem to have an abundance of weasels and squirrels getting in my sets, and after a weasel is caught another one is right behind to chew on him.
Ended up picking up my first cat of the year, 2 marten, a fisher and a half dozen weasel. Not a bad check other then I usually would have gotten 6-8 marten. The Lynx was taken on a blind trail set with a snare. I just made a trail into the alders and set a snare on the way out (as seen on the Wild North )
I also have a trap/marten thief that hit a new area I set up this year. I checked the first box in the new area and everything was gone but the box. No trap, no wire, no bait or bait wire, nothing. The snow is crusty and had a fine dust on the trail but no tracks anywhere leading away. Only thing left at the site was a small tuff of marten fur stuck in the marten magic lure on the box. So I'm thinking maybe a foul catch that broke free and ran away, it's never happened with this set up before but things happen. So after having a good look around we find nothing. Nobody else had walked in or driven on my trail so I ruled out a human. So we finish the loop and on the way out at the last box (which is only 600 yards as the crow flies from the first box that had the trap missing) and the same thing. The trap is gone with the wire that secures it missing. No tracks on the crusty snow and the same fine dust fresh on the trail covering up any other evidence. After having a good look around nothing. Now one time I can see it but twice that close together is just plain strange. Since switching my sets to this style 4 years ago I've taken close to 100 marten and 12 fisher without ever losing a trap. I've had two fisher that broke the wire but were laying dead at the base of the tree and I've never had a marten even disturb the box. Both of these traps were 2001-5 sauvageau so they are very strong, nothing usual moves a whole bunch after getting caught.
Any ideas on what may have took them ? There were Lynx tracks not too far away but I've never had a Lynx touch any of my marten before, and there are tons of rabbits around this year so I can't see them being too hungry

Here's a few pics from the line.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Weird Jeff. I had a similar experience but it was the first day I set and I came back and the trap was gone. I looked and no tracks. I just chalked it up to me forgetting to put a trap in the box before I left but I swore I put one in. I am not sure what to think still to this day.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 AM

Great pics everyone, i will soon be back out on the line.

Tork, we had a Lynx tear down a set that held a fresh caught fisher. He then dragged it back a bit and tried to bury it as we pulled up.
took the fisher and reset the box and trap.
Next round the would be thief was waiting with his toes in a 120 Belilse.

Lost one 120 Belilse to a badly crimped furrel on the cable, never found it.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:30 AM

Possibly a big hawk, owl or eagle?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Nice pics, perfect catch on the cat. People just can't leave anything alone, sorry to hear of the thefts.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:06 PM

could be a wolverine, i know a local guy that had his 120 disapear and a few hundred yards away laid a dead wolverine only caught buy the hand......
Old 12-18-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
could be a wolverine, i know a local guy that had his 120 disapear and a few hundred yards away laid a dead wolverine only caught buy the hand......
I was thinking it could be a wolverine. I had one come through my line two years ago and got a couple marten on me that where caught, but he only ate half of them and never did break the wire holding them in the box.
If it was only one missing trap I would say quite possibly a wolverine or a big fisher by the foot and he broke free and walked away, but I doubt he walked 600 yards and did it again ?
Plus the tuft of marten fur at the first box has me thinking a marten was already caught before it went missing. Really wish I had the trail camera set up on these boxes now
Old 12-18-2014, 07:47 PM

Been slow the last couple weeks but picked up today. The one on top died in a creek, then it got cold and froze right into the ice. I found my lead and followed it into the water. I was initially very confused but then found just a few hairs protruding. Glad I had my axe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.8 KB, 193 views)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Picked up coyote #3 today, snared her 20 yards from coyote #2. Put in a picture of my fox at the catch site too. I don't know how good of success rate most have but I'm pretty happy with three coyotes and fox so far this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fox@bait.jpg (40.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg coyote#3.jpg (40.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg coyot03.jpg (34.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Picked up coyote #3 today, snared her 20 yards from coyote #2. Put in a picture of my fox at the catch site too. I don't know how good of success rate most have but I'm pretty happy with three coyotes and fox so far this week.
Looks good. I don't mean to come off rude. Might want to lift your snares the one dog is caught pretty deep looks swollen. Most cases if a coyote is blooded up he died very slowwwwwwwwww. Unless I'm wrong and you had to dispatch him.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:36 AM

Dr death. aka... "captain coyote" strong work!!