Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM

Jim

Very Jealous.......great picture!!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:10 PM

Thunder elk hunter... What terrain do you find most of your fisher catches in? Also what type of set are you using
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderjet View Post
Wow your season is off to a good start.....where abouts do you trap if you dont mind my asking?
Fort Assiniboine area
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Thunder elk hunter... What terrain do you find most of your fisher catches in? Also what type of set are you using
Disregard! Found my info in another post !
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Caught three on the fringe of tamrack swamps. 2 in big spruce near a creek. I target good hare sign.

Running poles with boxes and one in a verical box.

This is the first year with boxes, was missing too many last year with just running pole set. Fisher tracks all over by the sets but no fisher.
Only caught two fisher all last season.

Like the running poles box sets the best.

Beaver meat for bait and skunk smelling call (Barnes).

I try to use as big as possible running poles that are spruce, pine or tamrack. Blow down trees work great, but clean off the branches so they have an easy time to get to the box.

I'm no expert but this is what is working for me.

Hope this helps

TEH
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Disregard! Found my info in another post !
No problem Mark was typing my post when you sent this.

Good Trapping

TEH
Old 12-04-2012, 06:50 AM

Starting the season today! Should be good , most of the sticky fingers are gone back to town and lots of snow ,,, will be clearing and packing trails till dark , and with any luck getting some snare pens built , if I can find some good sign.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 AM

I'm hoping my first day will be Thursday. Partner and I are going to try and cross the river for the first time. Clean up the trails and get some sets out. Hope the athabasca is frozen solid.

Thanks thunder. If you didn't have beaver what would you use as bait. I have no beaver. I do have deer scraps and bear meat.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I'm hoping my first day will be Thursday. Partner and I are going to try and cross the river for the first time. Clean up the trails and get some sets out. Hope the athabasca is frozen solid.

Thanks thunder. If you didn't have beaver what would you use as bait. I have no beaver. I do have deer scraps and bear meat.
Never used anything other than beaver, has got odor even when it's cold. I run it up the running pole to get that scent on the path to the trap, like something has dragged that piece of meat up the pole.

Deer meat should work and was thinking about trying pieces of hare at a couple sites.

Try the bear as it is greasy like beaver.

Good luck and keep us posted will be interested to see what works for you.

TEH
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 PM

Great cabin shot with fur loved it! Still stacking up the marten and started setting lynx sets Saturday plus a few wolf snares. Yahoo
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 AM

Default First Check

Did seasons first check on 38 Marten sets yesterday for a 4 day check and got skunked! Not too worried yet but a little disappointed. Weather has been stupid lately and I think they just haven't been moving. Did see marten track when I set but now nothing.
I did have one lone Mink box set and it connected on a nice one. Tonight I have to skin the smelly bugger though. I hate mink musk!
Got 3 more Lynx cubbies set up yesterday and 2 otter sets. Will be out this weekend to get more sets out. Traps don't catch me nothing sitting in the shed.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM

I found some gear freshly stashed. Possibly stolen. Seemed odd for a trapper to stash it where is was. If you had some stuff stolen and can identify it. I will tell you where it is and hopefully it's still there.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
Did seasons first check on 38 Marten sets yesterday for a 4 day check and got skunked! Not too worried yet but a little disappointed. Weather has been stupid lately and I think they just haven't been moving. Did see marten track when I set but now nothing.
I did have one lone Mink box set and it connected on a nice one. Tonight I have to skin the smelly bugger though. I hate mink musk!
Got 3 more Lynx cubbies set up yesterday and 2 otter sets. Will be out this weekend to get more sets out. Traps don't catch me nothing sitting in the shed.
Know the feeling, on north end of the line have not caught a single marten over 3 weeks, and the other end 17 marten and couple fisher. 25+ miles of trail and intresting to see the difference. Some tracks on north end but just won't commit to the trap. Have close to 80 sets out so not that great a catch ratio.

We've been having cold weather and snow most every day. Hoping they'll move when it warms up.
Snow dust hangs in the air when it gets so cold.

And X2 on the traps in the shed, we gotta get more Lynx sets going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_4194.jpg (54.2 KB, 231 views)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM

First time viewing this thread, great to see how eveyone is doing! I am just a resident trapper, but would love to trap a line...way more fur, way more fun. I went hard in mid October until work and winter got in the way of late open water trapping. But back at it now, Coyotes and Weasels beware. I guess I could attach my count..

Ermine-4
Beavers-15
Muskrats-86
Marten-1
Squirrel-1

Fur Shed.jpg

Morning catch.jpg

2012 Marten.jpg
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Looks like the rats r gettin hammered spruce! Lookin good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20121205-00504.jpg (74.0 KB, 208 views)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Know the feeling, on north end of the line have not caught a single marten over 3 weeks, and the other end 17 marten and couple fisher. 25+ miles of trail and intresting to see the difference. Some tracks on north end but just won't commit to the trap. Have close to 80 sets out so not that great a catch ratio.

We've been having cold weather and snow most every day. Hoping they'll move when it warms up.
Snow dust hangs in the air when it gets so cold.

And X2 on the traps in the shed, we gotta get more Lynx sets going.
Thats the way it goes then one day it's like someone flicked a switch and the traps are full of fur. Some warmer blue bird sky days would help alot to get them moving. I can smell my sets from 20 yards away so I'm sure once a marten passes it will make a beeline for the set.
Seen some snowed in lynx tracks and one fresh set right through my cubby pen before I got a chance to set it! Rabbit population looks good so won't be long until I connect with a cat. Lost 2 last year, completely eaten by other lynx. Just the head left in the snare and that was on 3 day checks. I think if they find eachother still warm and thawed they lay down and start feeding. Last year we had some real warm spells so I like the cold we have been getting.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Default Rat hangers

Hey Spruce love the Rat hangers
Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Default little early

lots of sets lots tracks looks good for wolves stay safe trappers
Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 AM

Default Marten camp 2012

all loaded up, fuelling up, ready to go! had i known the price of pine mushrooms, i would of went in a week early and probably doubled my money.

typical early nov, snow up high, none in the valley bottoms.

trapping is the draw, but the challenge of being/working/surviving alone in bush is pretty cool. my hat goes off to the guys that spent/spend months and months alone in the bush.

first set of 2012

used feathers for attractors. can't say if they helped, but they sure looked good fluttering in the wind. must of helped. thanks for the tip brian!

inside my fav cabin, i can make coffee, put wood in the stove and not get out of my sleeping bag.

good canadian breakfast.

starting the day.

trappers best friend, can send a message home saying "i'm ok, love you!" without having to answer "how many you got? when you coming home? etc, etc."

taking a break.

bears are a big problem for me. it's nice to see a marten 10-12 feet off the ground.

my regional manager gave me his staffs supply of expired pepper spray cans. did alot of this and it seemed to work. they seemed to avoid the sets after they took a full blast in the mouth.

brought a smile to my face

could see there tracks making a wide berth around the sets.

my big ticket purchase this year, the calf sled worked great. cut my old wooden toboggan up to use for coni pans.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 AM

soggy marten

switched from coleman fuel, too propane this year, going to go to 30 lb bottles next year and install a propane light in each cabin

i didn't do aswell as i would of liked this year(or normally do), and i didn't stay out as long as i normally would of. not because the fur wasn't there, it allways is. but because we built a new cabin last summer up valley, about 14 miles from my middle cabin. the last 4 miles of the trail wasn't cleared and i didn't have any sets up there. i used up alot of time/energy/happiness moving traps,gear and bait up through this crap. i did it, but if was tuff! i'll clear it out next summer and bring the pleasure back into it.

next summers bridge project.

i might go back out after christmas, not sure right now, we'll see.

great to see everyone else is off to a great start! even the chiropractor is out trapping, nice meeting you the other day.

Last edited by braggadoe; 12-08-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 PM

Nice work Bragadoe! Helitrapping, hell of a way to get things done. Nice Marten pull, I like the running pole set...no where to go but in the trap.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Second check of the season and with 60 sets out caught nothing in the last 4 days. Looks like my bad luck from hunting season is haunting me into trapping season. Hardly a track out there today and it was -26 this morning. It's gonna get warm this week with high of zero so hopefully the fur gets moving.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:43 PM

Do the animals move more when it's warmer? I thought it would be opposite?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:23 PM

Great pics Braggadoe, laughed at the bear training system. Not much snow out there yet? Have any Fisher or Wolverine out there?

Waiting a warm spell too, seems they run after a cold spell or just before it gets cold. Right now everything is holed up and not moving. Picked up first Lynx of the season. Seems the the rabbits are abundant as the lynx won't commit to any cubbies yet. And at -30, i'm not sure why I was out on the line either.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 AM

the pics are up until the middle of nov. my camera quiet working after a bad fall. it got colder and more snow, but never had to use the snow shoes.

i had a wolverine in this marten set, but the swing pole wasn't heavy enough and the pivot point was too low to get it up off the ground. i'll have to improve that!!

after it got out of that set, it walked right past this one and didn't even take a second look. in fact, i haven't caught anything in this set in 9 years. not sure why?

fisher around but never got any. usually do though.

don't go out of my way too snare squirrels, but if there dens are close to the trail i put up some snare poles.

first time i've tried these types of otter sets,caught one in this set and another one in a blind set. caught a couple mink as well in wooden cubbys by the river

great pic of your fur by the cabin jim
Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 AM

Default this years catch

12 coyotes so far
Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Default Pics from last check, Dec 9

rsz_img_0899.jpg
First Lynx off the line.

rsz_img_0901.jpg
Love it when the trap is sprung.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM

Congrats on the lynx Jim. Still waitin for my first lynx ever. Just opened up our line this weekend. Only about 14 marten sets out an 3 lynx pens so far. I'm gonna start making trail sets on some rabbit highways. Seen a few rabbit trails that looked like a hundred rabbits used it
Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM

Default catch

12 coyotes so far
Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Congrats on the kittie Jim! Gotta love pulling up and seeing those marten hanging.
Thanks for sharing all the pics guys. If I can catch something maybe I can share pics too lol.