Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
It's not as easy as putting a trap every half mile or so. You need to access the habitat and set accordingly. I go miles without a set where there are no marten and have sets a 100 yds apart in marten travel corridors. Always good to set on fresh tracks
Thanks Brian,

We are setting the best looking marten habitat that we have on our little line. Also have the fringe that runs along the farmland set for fisher. All traps are set for fisher or marten.

Will try this tip about the corridors and set some closer if i see good marten sign.

TEH
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 AM

It sounds like on your line you have a low marten population or perhaps even a new and expanding marten presence on your line. You might want to wait until it snows and you have a chance to see actual marten tracks before placing your sets. There's nothing better than setting on sign as the marten will almost always return if they're residents.

Last year a trapper I know set heavy in a blueberry patch that was full of marten sign. They took 25+ martens in the first lift! I suspect most of the martens on his line migrated down to share the bounty of berries but found a trapper instead.

Marten are great to trap.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 AM

i'm trapping on foot, walking between 3 cabins aprox 12-14 miles apart with 6/7+ mile loops off of each end cabin. great marten area. each set is made up of 2 somtimes 3 cubbys. often get doubles and the odd triple early in the season. 200+ sets total.

carry a couple of extra traps each day, in my pack to set on sign when i see fresh tracks.

trapping on foot keeps the fuel bill low. and marten are easy to carry. love the marten trapping.

lots of good looking boxes you've all made.
can't wait till november!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Default Braggadoe

Are you walking all of your line? Wow, you must really be in shape by Feb. Are you using snowshoes or on skis? But if you have no gas exspense, that would sure help, as that about the biggest profit eater.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 AM

i use a guad in the summer, but have to build alot more bridges too get very far. marten trap from nov.9,10,11 until just before the cutoff for the feb auction, which is in early jan. that's about all the alone time i can take.

alot of rain in the start of nov, then alot of slow in dec. snowshoes in dec/jan.

my biggest cost is the heli flight in and out. one trip in, one trip out.
use 2 55 gallon drums of fuel each year. the saws consume most of it. it's close to 9$ per litre by the time i get it out to the line. i walk and walk and walk, then walk some more! love it!!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 PM

Default more boxes

Finished off the rest of the boxes last nite, that's 75 ready to go. Waitin for Nov!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75%20marten%20boxes.jpg (69.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Took GPS points of all our boxes and lynx sites. Then put them on a map of the trapline. Will put them on a topo map of the line next. You can really see the areas of the line that have by been past over or have to be looked at. Will help with the records of where critters are caught and then find the same terain on the topo map for next years. Have got some more exploring to do the next few weeks.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Default Maps and locations

I have been doing that as well, just used google earth, it really shows you how well you are covering an area. Has been doing alot of planning for up coming season, looking at google. Hope it works out, heading out this weekend to do more scouting around. Fire up the ole Husky and clear more trail. For some reason the lines are alot more over grown then what you remembered from on the map...........
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Default visual attractors

going to hang a turkey feather at each of my marten set locations....might help.

[IMG][/IMG]

hurry up november!!