Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 08:17 AM

Default The 340 Weatherby magnum

I’ve been wanting one for quite a while now. I want to hear from users of the mark v rifles how they like them and the pros and cons of this cartridge. I know ammunition isn’t cheap but I spend a lot of time on the reloading bench so that’s not an issue. Field performance and bullet suggestions are welcome. I’m thinking that this would make a great rig for hammering elk across clear cuts and the more open country in the south.

Gilly.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:42 AM

Send Leo a pm. He hunts with a 340 Wby. I shot one from the bench without a brake. Not as bad as I was thinking it would be.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:05 AM

340 bee is a fantastic cartarige
Cons
Cost of brass(though quality is very good)

Pros
Hits hard
Not as bad on shoulder as one would think
Great ballistics

I really like the mark v action
Yes its big. But it is smooth as silk
The 60 degree bolt lift is great. Trigger is good
I like the stock design(some don't)
They are truly beautiful guns in the higher grades, deluxe and lazermark
The stainless synthetic rifles are great all around units.
My main hunting rifle is a 270Bee in a lazermark and its quality is comparable to my Coopers.
One of my buddy's shoots a 340bee as his main gun.
250gr Burger or accubonds. And we have never tracked anything with it.
Buy one and enjoy.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:25 AM

A friend has a braked Mark V in 340, and I had a custom 338x8mmremmag built on a 700 action. Ballistically, both rifles were pretty much identical. Recoil with my rifle was a bit milder than his without the brake. With the brake installed, his rifle was softer on the shoulder, but even with double hearing protection, the noise was annoying at a covered range. I used the 210gr Partition in my rifle, and it worked fine on elk.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:36 AM

I have a 340 but built on a rem 700. I have hammered coyotes,deer and moose with it. It hits like a sledge hammer and have always found it to be my " go to rifle". With 250 and 225 grain hornady interlocks it hits the same POI at 100 yards. Off the bench I can do 3 shots into 5/8ths of a inch all day long or as long as the nerves will handle it. After 3 the barrel heats up quite a bit and it has to cool.

But if 3 shots and you cant hit your target,perhaps knitting might be a better pastime? I highly recommend the 340. P.S. its a little harsh on yotes!!
Old 09-29-2019, 11:37 AM

.340 is just a marketing term for Weatherby's . 338. Other than the snob factor. the .338 Win. is a way better choice all around and the price of cartridges won't break the bank.

Grizz
Old 09-29-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
.340 is just a marketing term for Weatherby's . 338. Other than the snob factor. the .338 Win. is a way better choice all around and the price of cartridges won't break the bank.

Grizz
When you are reloading, as the OP is, the cost of a bag of brass is absolutely inconsequential to cartridge consideration. Even if you kept a hunting rifle for a lifetime, the cost of brass for a cartridge that size which will likely not be shot extensively for target practice, isn't even a tank of gas.

I have no firsthand experience with this, but have read of guys fire-forming 340 wby brass from both 8mm Rem Mag and 375 H&H brass (which is reasonably priced).

Just saying I guess that sometimes folks let cost of ammo come into play too much.

I had a 338 RUM, and I tell you it was not what I chose to shoot groups with

Last edited by sns2; 09-29-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:34 PM

I'm on my second 340 Weatherby. 1st was built on a Sako AV action, my current one is on a Sako 75. Both were extremely accurate with 210 and 225 TTSX /TSX bullets loaded to near maximum published loads. They have a mean kick when you start pushing 225 grain or heavier bullets at high velocity. I don't own a braked rifle, but that's my choice. If you are recoil sensitive, and just have to have a 340, either brake it, or choose a lesser cartridge.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:30 PM

My 340 is walnut/blue Mark V 70's vintage. Just seems to fit me right. Shooting 210 TSX the recoil is more a push than a slap if that makes sense? Couldn't imagine it with a brake though, I think it would be possible to develop a sound flinch.

Shot a friend's 338 in a Winchester quite a bit, good rifle also, still prefer my 340.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-30-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz

Or one could own a rifle that can match the 338 out to 275 yds, is a lot easier to shoot, doesn't require a magnum action, and reload with dirt cheap 30-06 brass.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:48 AM

Default 340 Bee

There is a nice one at Prophet river consignment page in a Mark V accumark w/scope and bi-pod . low round count and ready to go. You can make brass from 300 wtby, just run through a sizer die. (if you reload)!! Done it . Hammer of Thor. JMO K-CReek
Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 AM

I built one on a lefty Rem 700 action in 1988, Douglas #3 contour 26" barrel. It shoots tiny groups if I do my part. I tried all kinds of powders and found 7828 gave me the best velocity at reasonable pressure. I bought several hundred Winchester 375H&H brass at that time and fire formed them with Unique and cream of wheat. I had no problem getting 2950 fps with 250 gr bullets and my brass lasts about 10 loads. My bullet choice was Nosler partition 250 gr but I mostly shoot Accubonds 225 gr now.

It has been my go to rifle since day one. Kills are dramatic. I have put the partition bullets diagonally through about 60" of moose.

Recoil - well you need to learn to live with it. My rig weighs 9 lbs with scope now. At one time I had it at 7 lb 3 oz. Nobody I know wanted to shoot it more than once...
Old 10-02-2019, 12:48 AM

Weatherby makes a great action and a beautiful gun. Have a 460 Bee LH, a 257 Ultra Light in LH and had a 300 LH. Shot a bunch of Caribou with a RH version of the 340 that my buddy owned. The 340 has about the same performance and recoil as the 338 RUM. Their newer 338-378 has a little more performance but it is significantly over bore so to me the 340 is a more balanced round. If you are recoil sensitive none of the Weatherby rounds from 300 Mag on up are the right choice. If you can handle the recoil or will shoot them braked at least at the range, then they are a tremendous lot of fun and a great hunting cartridge. Buy it, worst comes to pass you can easily re-sell it.