Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Banned

You guys down your way got to start a couple of weeks before the ice started to open up here, Bill, so there's nothing to be envious about. We get to start a couple of weeks earlier here in the Fall though so it all works out anyway. I'd rather be trapping than seeing other peoples pictures of muskrats though.....lol!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:49 AM

Default Spring Beaver

Here are a few more. That one solo was nearly 60" from nose to tail, had to be close to 70 lbs. The bigger of the 2 together was over 60. Last picture is a good catch of a dozen I think. One more lake to trap and then I am done, the beaver from warmer water are starting to shed a bit. When brushed the brush has a fair bit of hair in it, in my experience this is when to call it quits.

Spruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Beav.jpg (58.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Big Beav 2015.jpg (60.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Good catch 2015.jpg (56.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Banned

Wow, what a beast, Larry! I got a late start trapping beaver because I was busy chasing rats but next year I'll be changing things up to put more focus on beaver. I find trapping beaver more fun/challenging than just checking float sets and there's a ton more to learn.

The beaver that I caught yesterday is shedding and has a bite mark but I'm trapping nuisance beaver for a few landowners so I'm going to keep going for another week. I don't think that the pelt would be worth very much but there is still the castor and carcass to make a few bucks with, not to mention doing folks a favour. Word is getting around about me and I've been getting calls so I'm thinking that I may be able to turn this into another trapping opportunity. Starting to get a little tired though, been going steady since April 1. Maybe time for a short break anyway.

Here's my first big on one at 56 lbs the tailgate of my F150:

A few days later I caught this 59 lber: