Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2019, 08:00 PM

Default Canadian Land Access Systems (CLAS)

Yes I know there is a thread from 2016 by the same name and it goes on to discuss it and ends up in the gutter as usual. They will claim it is paid hunting (facepalm)

I think it is a great tool for hunters. My opinion.

At first blush I didn't like it. Paying to be a member hmmmm. Then I thought the fee for being a member is a drop in the bucket for a hunter. It's no different than the NCC booking site...…….except that the NCC doesn't charge for booking their properties.

So an entrepreneur comes up with the software and goes on a crusade to get landowners to jump aboard. He/she did it, as it looks widely accepted...….just have a look at all the properties identified...…..granted some are not affiliated with CLAS and don't require any booking...….these properties are mainly tied into the ACA. Having these properties lumped together is a bonus.

So of course it's going to have a cost. Maintaining the software and relations with landowners takes sweat equity and that is what you are paying for...…..a third party. How many calls does a landowner take where hunters are asking for permission? Repeatedly telling hunters the same rules, taking names, taking dates, etc. Why not avoid all of that?

I just paid up for six months tonight and booked a hunt on Sat.

No link required......google it
Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 PM
Banned

curious why you wanted to sign up. Was it just to have more areas to hunt? Was there a specific piece of land you wanted? I can see the site being useful for lazy hunters who dont know how to gain permission.

I'm sort of in the middle of if this is a good idea or not. Allowing this site means any landowner should be able to charge for access to hunt which we know is not allowed.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
curious why you wanted to sign up. Was it just to have more areas to hunt? Was there a specific piece of land you wanted? I can see the site being useful for lazy hunters who dont know how to gain permission.

I'm sort of in the middle of if this is a good idea or not. Allowing this site means any landowner should be able to charge for access to hunt which we know is not allowed.
I don't like your insinuation and it couldn't be farther from the truth. I was scouting and I called the landowner for access. The land manager said the property was administered by clas for hunting. So I had no alternative but to sign up with clas to hunt the property. Satisfied with that?

I started a new post on this subject to avoid all the pay for access junk. It's not what this is about. The link to it isn't rational.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:13 AM
Banned

sorry I didnt mean to offend. I should have said generally speaking, theres lots of reasons one could use their services for example lazy hunters who want an easy option to hunt. I was more so curious how/why you decided to sign up. Ultimately the land owner referred you to pay a website before he granted you access to hunt.

Isnt what you described illegal? You bartered cash for access for the purpose to hunt. The landowner told you how to pay to hunt his land. Cash exchanged hands between parties for access?

This is not a shot at you more so trying to understand why fish and wild life let's this happen in Alberta.

Personally I see the value in the service but not a fan of how its ignored/allowed to operate.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:07 AM

Interesting concept. I took a peak. I couldn't find any private access. If they didn't post the existing du and other existing sites they'd have nothing. The fees they want vs what they offer is scammer level. Beware.

Brokering access for a fee is maybe illegal...not sure. Landowners not paid...but in a way they want to provide a service a licenced goose guide would ordinarilly provide.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunter View Post
Interesting concept. I took a peak. I couldn't find any private access. If they didn't post the existing du and other existing sites they'd have nothing. The fees they want vs what they offer is scammer level. Beware.

Brokering access for a fee is maybe illegal...not sure. Landowners not paid...but in a way they want to provide a service a licenced goose guide would ordinarilly provide.
I don't know what you looked at but there a many, many large ranches in the South that use this service. And that is what it is, a service for both landowners and hunters. A 6 month membership costs 54.00. Pretty much the same price as an elk tag. I burn more than that in gas in a day to get to some places. Your" scammer level" comment doesn't have any traction.

It's all in front of you but I can't make you understand...…..they are not brokering for a fee. It's not illegal. They are a third party that created a system whereby landowners can use them to take all of the hassle out of administrating hunter permission and all that goes along with that. Since someone created this system and maintains it regularly, that same someone should expect compensation for past and continuing work. But if you believe that something illegal is happening you should compel yourself to call RAP. Tell us how you make out with that.

Personally, I would like to see more landowners take advantage of this system. It's probably more advantageous to a larger ranch than isolated 1/4s, but I do see the advantage in smaller properties as well.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I was scouting and I called the landowner for access. The land manager said the property was administered by clas for hunting. So I had no alternative but to sign up with clas to hunt the property. Satisfied with that?
Might want to take a look at what you posted. You explicitly said you had no alternative to sign up and pay a website before you were granted permission to hunt. You then went on that hunt.

Your still struggling with how easy it is for ANYONE to create a website to create a new revenue stream for their property. All a landowner needs to do is have a friend or family member benefit from the "membership service" while the friend manages it.

Or I could manage my neighbors land and he manages mine we have now created it so the landowner isnt directly benefiting but we both cash in.

ITS EASY FOR ANYONE TO COPY CLAS AND RAISE THE FEES SIGNIFICANTLY. I think it's clear your not getting that tho.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:48 AM

Exclamation consider the logistics

While I do not have a horse in this race, I will say this:
If I was a landowner/leaseholder that was given the opportunity to sign up to a software app that would take care of all the hunting inquiries from "Joe Public", handle all the scheduling logistics for the season, while providing me with the means to view daily access details online... I would definitely consider this as payment enough.

There are operations in prime hunting territory and/or close to major urban centers that field hundreds of calls and visits from Joe Public every year. Surely some of them must be getting tired of it by now.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
While I do not have a horse in this race, I will say this:
If I was a landowner/leaseholder that was given the opportunity to sign up to a software app that would take care of all the hunting inquiries from "Joe Public", handle all the scheduling logistics for the season, while providing me with the means to view daily access details online... I would definitely consider this as payment enough.

There are operations in prime hunting territory and/or close to major urban centers that field hundreds of calls and visits from Joe Public every year. Surely some of them must be getting tired of it by now.
Just Curious> Does the landowner by Canadian law have to let anyone on it if they choose? Do they get any help from the Providence by letting hunters hunt there land at all? tax incentives ?
I cant imagine that after massive door knocking and trespassers it does get over-whelming. Follow the money,follow the money,it will always pan out.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Might want to take a look at what you posted. You explicitly said you had no alternative to sign up and pay a website before you were granted permission to hunt. You then went on that hunt.

Your still struggling with how easy it is for ANYONE to create a website to create a new revenue stream for their property. All a landowner needs to do is have a friend or family member benefit from the "membership service" while the friend manages it.

Or I could manage my neighbors land and he manages mine we have now created it so the landowner isnt directly benefiting but we both cash in.

ITS EASY FOR ANYONE TO COPY CLAS AND RAISE THE FEES SIGNIFICANTLY. I think it's clear your not getting that tho.
What are you going to do about it? Nothing?