Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support the introduction of a bass fishery to Alberta.
Yes 201 52.34%
No 183 47.66%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I would be all for paying the $250 for a license every year if I knew that all of the money was going back into the fishery and not lining the pockets of the politicians.

Couldn't you buy the bass from an out of province hatchery and use the money saved from not stocking the lakes all with rainbows Darter? I don't know how the whole stocking thing works but I thought that could possibly be an option.
It would be risky to introduce fish from another province hatchery unless that hatchery was using water that was compliant with the water they were transferred to. Each hatch is raised for specific waters.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

i would definately pay more for my licence if it meant more quality fisheries. However, if i was paying that much, i would have high expectations for the use of that money..... and wasting money on rearing bass that will not survive would not satisfy those expectations. I believe that in an ideal world. we could have a venue for everyone including a bass fishery. but if those bass are not going to survive and have no chance of reproducing, then it is not helping our fisheries. this is not an idea world. once again, all IMO

higher fees would do several other things too. less people would pick up licences. probably by 100 fold.

i hate bass shows as well for all of the exact reasons mentioned above.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Bass Fishing

Even though I am from Ontario originally and bass fished as a kid and love it, I do not support it here in Alberta.

Greg
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Please read the above facts.

What interests me is the new demand for Bass in Alberta.

Are you posters who demand another failed bass stocking in Alberta people who lived in eastern Canada or somewhere in the United States, and figure that if Bass lived in ontario and USville why not in Alberta?

Please note that I am not trying to insult any of you people, but am wondering what demographic you are coming from?
And in return I 'm not trying to be insulting. But I don't think you grasp the fact people are answering a question put to them....."would you support the introduction of a bass fishery in AB." I may have missed it if I did I apologies but I did not read anybody demanding Bass in Alberta Just that they would support it if it happened. I will admit it is very doubtful that it would ever happen but I would definitely support it if it did.....
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 PM

Hey Braun,

Why do you support all the trout lakes and ponds that have fished stocked every year that don't survive or spawn either? Like I said before it would be the same thing as the trout ponds and would need to be stocked the same way. It would be no different and would have to be treated the same way. I am not saying I am for or against it I am just trying to have an open mind about it. If there were bass around here I would fish for them and if there isn't I will drag my boat to BC to learn how to fish them.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
hardly no one answered my question....who's willing to pay for all this?

maybe we can buy bass for a experiment e.g Island Lake
But to have even a few Bass lakes as put and take we need a Bass rearing facility...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....millions! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And its over my DEAD cold body the funding is coming out of the Cold Lake hatchery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...the fish reared there have and are showing signs of natural reproduction after being released.

Just because we dont stock 15 put and take trout ponds does not give us the funding to build and operate a Bass rearing facility......geebuss..it would be cheaper to give all Albertans who want to fish Bass 4 all expense paid week ends in Creston a year.

Im all for educated experiments......but im against bashing my head against a wall i could not defeat the first 10 attempts.

250.00 bucks a year for a annual licence anyone?......no begging no whinning no praying....just plain be big boys and pay up
Sorry I didn't see your question Yes I would be willing to pay for it if that's were the money was going. and not to stock more stinkin trout....OOPS did I type that out loud.....JK. will pay for the support of any fishery in Alberta as long as it goes the fishery and not in someones pocket
Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
It would be risky to introduce fish from another province hatchery unless that hatchery was using water that was compliant with the water they were transferred to. Each hatch is raised for specific waters.
yup the chance we pick up a barnacle like a zebra mussel is too great imo

but before that....whats the cost of shipping millions of Bass from Ontario?
BC is a good Bass fishery but i doubt they can or will supply us millions of Bass.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Hey Braun,

Why do you support all the trout lakes and ponds that have fished stocked every year that don't survive or spawn either? Like I said before it would be the same thing as the trout ponds and would need to be stocked the same way. It would be no different and would have to be treated the same way. I am not saying I am for or against it I am just trying to have an open mind about it. If there were bass around here I would fish for them and if there isn't I will drag my boat to BC to learn how to fish them.
But we have the facilities to raise trout now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We dont have the Facilties to raise BASS!!!!!!!!!!!.....We raise walleye and trout. In order to raise BASS one of those must suffer or shut down!!
If we could pull millions of Bass out of our AZZ ......then i have high hopes a Put and Take Bass fishery would work.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:30 PM

to shoot a deer you need a deer tag
a moose a moose tag
a elk a elk tag......correct? ....im not a hunter

you get where im going though?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey Braun,

good question. there are a couple reasons but before i get to them, you know that i would fish them if they were here as well. we had plans to goto BC this year. Id be a Hippocrate if i said i wouldnt fish for them.

here are my reasons and all start with the lame one first.
as chubb said, you cant just turn a trout hatchery and say, now we will spawn bass.... startup costs on a project like this are huge.

here is the real reason why:

it is very different when we talk about bass and trout and i understand why you question my argument because of the way I had worded it. I made it seem like the only breeding I support is ones that have potential to spawn.... trout is different because the main "naturally spawning" fisheries we have here are trout. In order to keep fisheries like the bow top notch is to have strict restrictions on them; take away the ability for people to catch and keep them. however, it is only fair that if that ability is taken away, that there is a venue where people can go to catch and keep their trout. the current put and take fisheries that we have are a big part of the protection of our "natural" fisheries where trout spawn. they relieve the pressure on the natural water ways and without put and take people would be harvesting more from the bow, sheep, elbow, glenmore and any other trout fishery.

spending money on spawning bass is only creating a new market for catching and keeping bass. It will not relieve any pressure on the natural trout fisheries. If SRD had money out the arse, i wouldnt care. but with limited resources and already mass debate regarding trout fisheries, i just cannot support creating a market for bass.

I know it is debatable that a bass fishery would reduce pressure on trout because people would fish bass instead of trout. In my opinion, that is a weak argument. people will still fish for trout just as much, and it is a bonus that they can get bass.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry I didn't see your question Yes I would be willing to pay for it if that's were the money was going. and not to stock more stinkin trout....OOPS did I type that out loud.....JK. will pay for the support of any fishery in Alberta as long as it goes the fishery and not in someones pocket
with out those stinkin trout hatcheries? would you be able to catch browns like those in the pictures circulating on the board lately? that is an amazing trout the Fishhunter 7 had in those pictures. put and take trout lakes are a part of protecting those fisheries so we have the opportunity to catch thos 25+ inch trout
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
to shoot a deer you need a deer tag
a moose a moose tag
a elk a elk tag......correct? ....im not a hunter

you get where im going though?
To shoot a trout fisherman you need a trout tag.......
Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
with out those stinkin trout hatcheries? would you be able to catch browns like those in the pictures circulating on the board lately? that is an amazing trout the Fishhunter 7 had in those pictures. put and take trout lakes are a part of protecting those fisheries so we have the opportunity to catch thos 25+ inch trout
I don't fish trout but because it is an Alberta fishery I support it. And happy to do so
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

and for the record, I would like the next poll to be "should we stock all the spawned walleye (all 1.5 million of them) into one alberta lake, or spread it around to see if we can revive a bunch of fisheries rather than create one giant stunted fishery(PCR)"

I would love to see walleye be stocked in burntstick for one. that would be a great walleye fishery. lots of food and enough structure.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
and for the record, I would like the next poll to be "should we stock all the spawned walleye (all 1.5 million of them) into one alberta lake, or spread it around to see if we can revive a bunch of fisheries rather than create one giant stunted fishery(PCR)"

I would love to see walleye be stocked in burntstick for one. that would be a great walleye fishery. lots of food and enough structure.
that dream is dead if we take on a put and take Bass fishery
Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 PM

That dream is dead anyways Darter. The SRD is pretty much all trout stocking now. I know down here in the south they stocked the lakes with walleye and if they wouldn't have spawned then there wouldn't be a walleye fishery. They said it was a one time deal. I wish they would stock more eyes around the province and get some of the fisheries back up to full potential. I know there is a few lakes in the north that get stocked but I don't think there has been a stocking of eyes down south except for PCR in a really long time.

I fish for trout quite a bit but would love to see something other then just rainbows in every little pond. I get what your saying about having the hatcheries already available around the province. But where did the bass come from that they tried stocking in alberta years ago? Even if they added splake and tigers to stocking around the province at least it would be a change from all rainbows. Its nice that lethbridge has a place that you can go to and catch brookies and browns but lately its hit pretty hard because it is the only place anywhere around here that is a change from the norm.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Banned

a perch-bass hybrid would survive pretty good but then alberta would be a Berch fishery from end to end with nary another fish alive. maybe it's an altitude thing with the bass or maybe we don't have enough golf courses with ponds to sustain them. or maybe more people could just get into walleye with bass tackle like floppy gloobers and zoongers, with weedless fleembs of course.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Sorry to put you off. You asked how we felt. I told you.

Keep bass out of Alberta.
I'm not going threw 900 posts , but here's my point of view.

x 900,000

Like others have said work on the walleye populations and getting other species on a viable fishery rather then forget the current problem and bring in a new one .

If you want bass , go to BC , Manitoba , Ontario or anywhere else that has them . Yes I like fishing for them green machines , nothing more exciting then being hooked into a 3 lb small mouth and it fighting like a 20 lb pike . I just don't think we need then here .
Old 04-08-2011, 11:08 PM

I also dont think bass are poor fighters....but they are victims of their own enviroment.Their reputation is hurt by where they live and what tackle is needed to catch them. Ive caught small mouth on rock piles in open water....and they pull aweful hard!!!! i have nothing against them as a sport fish
All the bass ive caught in the west have been in heavy cover....without 15 lb line the buggers do figure 8's thru the wood and cattails........
Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Banned

agreed, way to many rainbow in this province. I do see what you mean in terms of that. I also see what the amount of stocking of rainbows they do is necissary. although with some rule changes, like the 5 trout baglimit to like 2 or 3, we wouldnt need to spawn so many trout (maybe 10% less) and we could do something else with that money
Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
That dream is dead anyways Darter. The SRD is pretty much all trout stocking now. I know down here in the south they stocked the lakes with walleye and if they wouldn't have spawned then there wouldn't be a walleye fishery. They said it was a one time deal. I wish they would stock more eyes around the province and get some of the fisheries back up to full potential. I know there is a few lakes in the north that get stocked but I don't think there has been a stocking of eyes down south except for PCR in a really long time.

I fish for trout quite a bit but would love to see something other then just rainbows in every little pond. I get what your saying about having the hatcheries already available around the province. But where did the bass come from that they tried stocking in alberta years ago? Even if they added splake and tigers to stocking around the province at least it would be a change from all rainbows. Its nice that lethbridge has a place that you can go to and catch brookies and browns but lately its hit pretty hard because it is the only place anywhere around here that is a change from the norm.

i believe the dream is alive and well....alot of lakes down south need a good walleye culling. Some walleye lakes are in deep trouble i believe...the eyes are eating themselfs out of house and home.
Other lakes need some help...but the dream is alive!!!
I believe someone posted the Bass came from the Bay of Quinte
Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 PM

Trout are friendly to the masses.....watch them thrive in calaway park......look at them grow in city parks....watch them turn a turd filled river into a world class blue ribbon destination. The are the cresent wrench of all fishes.

In order to grow qaulity bass....im afraid Alberta doesnt have many qualifying bodies of water
Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
a perch-bass hybrid would survive pretty good but then alberta would be a Berch fishery from end to end with nary another fish alive. maybe it's an altitude thing with the bass or maybe we don't have enough golf courses with ponds to sustain them. or maybe more people could just get into walleye with bass tackle like floppy gloobers and zoongers, with weedless fleembs of course.
Don't think you would have to worry about perch-bass hybrid covering alberta from end to end....... Hybrid fish can not reproduce......
Old 04-08-2011, 11:30 PM

doublepost
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Don't think you would have to worry about perch-bass hybrid covering alberta from end to end....... Hybrid fish can not reproduce......
Come on man I thought they did
Old 04-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
nor do the trout in P&T lakes
Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

but rarely do trout get transported in buckets to other lakes
Old 04-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
but rarely do trout get transported in buckets to other lakes
whereas the gluttoness berch would
Old 04-08-2011, 11:42 PM

Horse....you can start calling people Donny and Marie anytime now...lol
Old 04-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
i believe the dream is alive and well....alot of lakes down south need a good walleye culling. Some walleye lakes are in deep trouble i believe...the eyes are eating themselfs out of house and home.
Other lakes need some help...but the dream is alive!!!
I believe someone posted the Bass came from the Bay of Quinte
It would be funny if they came from Bay of quinte, it is a good bass area but is for better as a walleye fishery. Would think they would bring bass from bear lake or Orillia greater bass population.