Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
I have retired the old Jiffy

got this for the family

Jiffy® E6 Lightning Electric Ice Auger 40v 8"

nice change for 649$ on sale n comes in at 24#

looking forward to the ice fishing season

good luck everyone

David
Whatever that eagle wants, I suggest you let him have it. lol.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
Wow fishing already must be nice.
Time will tell. I'm gonna run out to the lake, put the float suit on, and check out a few waypoints tonight after work. If all is good, I'll set the alarm for 6am and continue my hunt for a 10lb rainbow on Remembrance Day. Last year, the lakes had frozen and then thawed by Remembrance Day so that you couldn't get on them safely. We seems to be a week or so ahead this year.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:33 AM

I might take a drive out to a couple lakes around GP next week to have a look. My balls aren't as big as HuyFishin's though, so I'll be waiting until there's at least 4 inches of ice. LOL.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:34 AM

Last year things froze up to 2-4" in early November. But then it warmed up again around this time. Some of the lakes were probably still ok in the middle or enough to fish in say 10 fow, but had melted around shore making getting on difficult. You can place boards to get out and all sorts of other shenanigans. But really, just wait a week. Falling through is no joke. If you get a gulp of ice cold water in your lungs on the way in, you may not even bob back up. I almost went in my first time out last season, even after scouting my exact path the afternoon before I went fishing.

Shoot me a PM with ice thicknesses if you head out and I'll do the same. Cheers.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Last year things froze up to 2-4" in early November. But then it warmed up again around this time. Some of the lakes were probably still ok in the middle or enough to fish in say 10 fow, but had melted around shore making getting on difficult. You can place boards to get out and all sorts of other shenanigans. But really, just wait a week. Falling through is no joke. If you get a gulp of ice cold water in your lungs on the way in, you may not even bob back up. I almost went in my first time out last season, even after scouting my exact path the afternoon before I went fishing.

Shoot me a PM with ice thicknesses if you head out and I'll do the same. Cheers.
Will do!
Old 11-10-2021, 12:27 PM

YESSSSSSSS!!! 13 months I've waited to get my hands on this case. Worth every penny.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:34 PM

BTW if you need anything from Otter talk to Trevor and the guys at CMX Powersports in Swift Current. They'll hook you up!
Old 11-10-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
YESSSSSSSS!!! 13 months I've waited to get my hands on this case. Worth every penny.

Nice case, looks just like the one I am winning!

CMX have been awesome to deal with, that is for sure.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Nice case, looks just like the one I am winning!

CMX have been awesome to deal with, that is for sure.
Good luck to you. $400 is crazy for a rod case. But it's a once in a lifetime purchase and I have several $500+ ice rod setups, including a TUCR Commander that broke the first trip out after I received it last season. I don't want to have to go through replacing that again, even though TUCR have been great to deal with.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:46 PM

I can't remember the brand, but Bass Pro in Calgary has something similar to that for $75. Wife and I are thinking of getting one. It's nice because it holds 3 rods and reel combos and has slots for tackle trays. You can really take a lot of stuff in the one hard sided case.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:11 PM

About the only thing I really needed this year was a bigger sled. I wanted the 94" pelican but it wasn't happening so I settled for the 82". Should still be plenty big.
I have a few other custom things coming for Christmas and I also purchased a custom bump board from mooseknuckle I'll be picking up this weekend.
3 big trips planned this winter that could be epic...or could leave me grossly disappointed lol.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
About the only thing I really needed this year was a bigger sled. I wanted the 94" pelican but it wasn't happening so I settled for the 82". Should still be plenty big.
I have a few other custom things coming for Christmas and I also purchased a custom bump board from mooseknuckle I'll be picking up this weekend.
3 big trips planned this winter that could be epic...or could leave me grossly disappointed lol.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Is that the sled they have at Costco? It looked like a nice unit. A little narrow for my liking but very well built with the runners, cover and hitch all included.

Good luck on your trips.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I can't remember the brand, but Bass Pro in Calgary has something similar to that for $75. Wife and I are thinking of getting one. It's nice because it holds 3 rods and reel combos and has slots for tackle trays. You can really take a lot of stuff in the one hard sided case.
I had a good case when my Commander broke. I'm still not sure how it happened. Regardless, this Otter case is next level to anything else I have seen. I think I have 10 ice rods, 4-5 spools of line and two Ice Defense units stowed in it at the moment, with room for a couple more rods and tackle trays if I wanted.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Is that the sled they have at Costco? It looked like a nice unit. A little narrow for my liking but very well built with the runners, cover and hitch all included.

Good luck on your trips.
No....I think the 60" was the biggest st costco. This is 82×38x18"
Old 11-15-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
No....I think the 60" was the biggest st costco. This is 82×38x18"
38" is a good width. Maybe the one I saw just seemed skinny since the Pelicans seem to be quite long for their width.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
38" is a good width. Maybe the one I saw just seemed skinny since the Pelicans seem to be quite long for their width.
I looked at lots of different sleds last year.....as much as people rave about the Koenders I just couldn't justify the cost. The otter sled was real nice but not $300 nicer than the pelican. The Jet sleds are cheap and flimsy imo....so pelican got my money. Definitely would have liked the 94" as we have a lot of gear for overnight trips....but I do have a 60" I can b-train behind this one should I need.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Costco carried a big black version a few years ago. Had runners, cover, and hitch. I have two of them and they are great. Now all I see at Costco is the small light blue one. I have one of those as well and it's fine for days when I don't bring a tent and a lot of gear, but it doesn't get used nearly as much as the big ones.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-16-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Costco carried a big black version a few years ago. Had runners, cover, and hitch. I have two of them and they are great. Now all I see at Costco is the small light blue one. I have one of those as well and it's fine for days when I don't bring a tent and a lot of gear, but it doesn't get used nearly as much as the big ones.

SS
The one I saw at Costco recently was a Pelican that looked just like the one in mlee's picture. I remember thinking it was quite expensive at first. But then factoring in that it had the hitch, a cover, and hyfax(?) runners, I think it was actually a pretty good deal. I have small, medium, magnum, and large Otter Pro sleds, so the last thing I needed was to add another to the collection. I agree that different sleds have different applications. Small ones are good for hand-bombing gear out on a nice day. Large ones need some sort of motorized transport on anything but glare ice.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
The one I saw at Costco recently was a Pelican that looked just like the one in mlee's picture. I remember thinking it was quite expensive at first. But then factoring in that it had the hitch, a cover, and hyfax(?) runners, I think it was actually a pretty good deal. I have small, medium, magnum, and large Otter Pro sleds, so the last thing I needed was to add another to the collection. I agree that different sleds have different applications. Small ones are good for hand-bombing gear out on a nice day. Large ones need some sort of motorized transport on anything but glare ice.
Was possibly the 75....its 75x30x14. I paid $329 for my 82 with runners hitch and cover. I looked at the otter large which I belive is 84x42 or something....nice sled but over $600 for the same setup.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:33 AM

Otters are definitely expensive once you have them kitted out. But they are a one and done purchase...you'll never wear one out. Lots of farmers in the States use them to tow behind a quad over dirt and rocks with no runners and they just go forever.

The Pelican also seemed quite durable. Jet Sleds are quite flimsy as mentioned, but would still be very good in smaller sizes for hand-pulling due to their light weight.

Last edited by AlbertanGP; 11-16-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:36 PM

After watching a few panfish videos on YouTube, and wanting to fish more for perch this season, I decided to pick up one of these...

I gotta say after laying hands on it, I'm not sure if I really need the Quad HD. The utility and portability of this thing is amazing. I highly recommended checking it out if you're looking for a higher end camera. It's going to pair really nicely with a 6" drill/auger combo for scouting weed beds.

I also picked up my Otter Vortex Resort Hub after ordering it the day it showed up in Cabela's system. They told me they just got some in at the Edmonton South store this week if anyone is looking. CMX Outdoors in Swift Current may also have some when Cabela's sells out.

P.S. - I'm trying to help a friend find an ION G2...preferably one from last year with the 6Ah battery, but a current one is fine. If anyone has seen one please let me know. Cheers.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:17 PM

I picked up the vortex resort last week, just opened it up in garage today. Lots of room and will be great for overnight trips.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I picked up the vortex resort last week, just opened it up in garage today. Lots of room and will be great for overnight trips.
Yeah that's what I bought mine for as well. I have a Vortex Lodge hub for when I'm by myself, but I rarely use a hub out alone and it's a bit small for overnighting. I also have an Eskimo 9416i, which is a great overnighter. I'm hoping the Resort can replace both of them. We'll see.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:59 PM

i'll be getting a fish cam for christmas, that should make trips a little more interesting. its a cheaper one on amazon but its better than nothing and i can always trade up in a few years. i might be getting a better sled this year too
Old 11-21-2021, 05:22 PM

I haven't been a big fan of underwater cameras since most of the waters I fish are too dirty to see much. But I did see an application for them last season when I started paying more attention to the opportunities.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:58 PM

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14166...-indicator-led

I got one of these for night fishing but a trial test should less then impressive results.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14166...-indicator-led

I got one of these for night fishing but a trial test should less then impressive results.
Look into these. They aren't the cheapest solution, but man do they work well. The look on your friends faces when your phone yells "Dude, you got a fish on!" is also priceless. They can be a bit of work to set up, but Brad is awesome with any technical issues you may have.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
After watching a few panfish videos on YouTube, and wanting to fish more for perch this season, I decided to pick up one of these...

I gotta say after laying hands on it, I'm not sure if I really need the Quad HD. The utility and portability of this thing is amazing. I highly recommended checking it out if you're looking for a higher end camera. It's going to pair really nicely with a 6" drill/auger combo for scouting weed beds.

I also picked up my Otter Vortex Resort Hub after ordering it the day it showed up in Cabela's system. They told me they just got some in at the Edmonton South store this week if anyone is looking. CMX Outdoors in Swift Current may also have some when Cabela's sells out.

P.S. - I'm trying to help a friend find an ION G2...preferably one from last year with the 6Ah battery, but a current one is fine. If anyone has seen one please let me know. Cheers.
You are going to like that cam. I think that has the improved cable. Original one I had the cable kept giving up. The one I have now is reinforced and running 3rd year now. Great for scouting...great for everything. Can motion sense and record footage. Down view is really good with this. The wire holder for the 45 degree or full 90 degree is about as simple to use as anything. I leave it on all the time. Have Fun
Old 11-21-2021, 08:31 PM

oh ya i also forgot i got a 1 man pop up tent and a buddy heater this year too, but havent had a chance to actually use them on the ice yet, so that should make things a lot nicer this year
Old 11-22-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Nice pick GP! I also picked up the Aqua Vu Micro Revolution 5 Pro and got it out on the ice once already. I am very impressed with the camera and not just for the amazing portability. I went out with Huyfishin for brook trout (see his latest video) and the visibility was almost but not quite 3 feet by my eye. With my Marcum VS485C I could see maybe 1 foot in the distance (it was pretty poor as you would expect) but with the Aqua Vu I could see 6ft or more. The picture on camera was way better than the naked eye.

Once I get more footage together I will definitely be making a comparison video and review. Stay tuned!