Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 11:41 AM

Default Unpasteurized milk in calgary

Red Bullets mentioned fresh cream in the BBQ sauce thread and it got my mouth watering. I haven’t had any fresh unpasteurized cream for Far too long.

If anyone has a source...pm me.

Mmmmm, peaches and cream, chocolate cake and cream...fudge...
Old 07-08-2020, 12:00 PM

Don't wanna be a poop, but friend got meningitis from unpasteurized milk from Sunrise Colony (south of Castor). We were goose hunting and he joined us from selling them tires, they asked him for lunch etc. Next day rushed to Red Deer Hospital etc. at 4 in morning, just after we got up to go set up. He's lucky to be alive, and reasonable coherent! Luckily an Intern recognized the condition.

It happened years ago, but my point is it's real. And yes I have had cream etc. from unpasteurized source etc. but always think of my pal in very serious distress.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:16 PM

I don't think you can legally sell raw milk anywhere in Canada. I know I was trying to find some a few years back when I was wanting to make cheese and was told that by a hutterite.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:53 PM

Yes un fortunately it is illegal to sell raw milk. But you could own a cow and milk it youself for the milk.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:00 PM

Ya government says weed is fine, but milk whoa whoa...if you wanna buy unpasteurized milk than giver
Old 07-08-2020, 04:30 PM

Get an empty jug and a cow. Squeeze and pull, squeeze and pull. Just make sure it's a girl cow or the jug will take longer to fill.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:20 PM

Somehow I can't see there being any difference in taste, except in the mind. Federal offense to sell raw milk and the Dairy board sends out people to entrap farmers, just like underage cigarette users. These guys are a real Mafia.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ed%20Wednesday.

Grizz
Old 07-08-2020, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I don't think you can legally sell raw milk anywhere in Canada. I know I was trying to find some a few years back when I was wanting to make cheese and was told that by a hutterite.
Sadly you are correct: our supply mgmt systems stipulates that dairy farmers sell raw milk into a closed system, that's one of the reasons why most of the industrial milk products you use were produced from raw milk from Quebec that has been stored for up to 2 years (Quebec has over half of the IMQ). K, Quebec rant over...

I get mine from a diary farmer friend who will never be named, but it's way too far from you. It's nice to make your own cream, butter, cheese, and the feral barn cats sure love the milk.

If you can't suddenly become close friends with an anti-quota dairy farmer, have you considered searching around for some local hobby farmer with their own cows who don't sell into quota, or with goats or sheep? That works really well too! And the soft hallumi-style and soft goat cheeses are awesome.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Somehow I can't see there being any difference in taste, except in the mind. Federal offense to sell raw milk and the Dairy board sends out people to entrap farmers, just like underage cigarette users. These guys are a real Mafia.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ed%20Wednesday.

Grizz
There’s a definite taste difference especially with the cream and the cream has natural enzymes and bacteria that allow it to thicken when it sits uncovered in the fridge for a couple days. That’s what I want, growing up I could turn the jar of cream upside down and it wouldn’t fall out.
Spread on toast or bread and a bit of brown sugar on top, oh my God!

I understand why it’s illegal to sell, it’s easier to pasteurize milk than to keep healthy herds. But I’ve got a hankering for it. The French can buy creme fresh all the time, they make unpasteurized cheese and other than being a bit daft and a bunch of leftists it doesn’t seem to bother them!
Old 07-08-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
There’s a definite taste difference especially with the cream and the cream has natural enzymes and bacteria that allow it to thicken when it sits uncovered in the fridge for a couple days. That’s what I want, growing up I could turn the jar of cream upside down and it wouldn’t fall out.
Spread on toast or bread and a bit of brown sugar on top, oh my God!

I understand why it’s illegal to sell, it’s easier to pasteurize milk than to keep healthy herds. But I’ve got a hankering for it. The French can buy creme fresh all the time, they make unpasteurized cheese and other than being a bit daft and a bunch of leftists it doesn’t seem to bother them!
I think some US states allow it as well, but there have been disease out breaks traced back to that. Animals are naturally dirty, tough to get totally around that. Pasteur was hailed as a life save when he developed the process. I have a good friend who's a former dairy farmer and member of the Dairy board, so I get all the scoop.

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2019/...king-raw-milk/

Grizz
Old 07-08-2020, 06:14 PM

I've hauled raw milk from the farms to different plants here in southern Alberta for 40 years now. There's isn't one of them that I'd drink out of the tank. The Licencing Board even changed that we, milk graders don't have to taste the milk anymore as there is too big of a chance to catch e coli we can only judge the the milk by sight and smell.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:34 PM

Well for the most part the rules were put in place to prevent farmers from getting in trouble with someone who got sick from their milk... it isn't because of quota that they can't sell unpasteurized milk. They can't sell it as a health and safety reason, lest they be liable. Many countries have this rule and they don't have quota. And yes I was raised on unpasteurized milk from a very low somatic cell count farm.
But to blame it on the supply management system is just not true.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadji Ramjet View Post
Sadly you are correct: our supply mgmt systems stipulates that dairy farmers sell raw milk into a closed system, that's one of the reasons why most of the industrial milk products you use were produced from raw milk from Quebec that has been stored for up to 2 years (Quebec has over half of the IMQ). K, Quebec rant over...

I get mine from a diary farmer friend who will never be named, but it's way too far from you. It's nice to make your own cream, butter, cheese, and the feral barn cats sure love the milk.

If you can't suddenly become close friends with an anti-quota dairy farmer, have you considered searching around for some local hobby farmer with their own cows who don't sell into quota, or with goats or sheep? That works really well too! And the soft hallumi-style and soft goat cheeses are awesome.
Sorry just wondering where you are getting your info on milk being stored for 2 years in Quebec, and also what IMQ stands for?
Old 07-08-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Get an empty jug and a cow. Squeeze and pull, squeeze and pull. Just make sure it's a girl cow or the jug will take longer to fill.
How did you find that one out?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:08 PM

(Quebec has over half of the IMQ). K, Quebec rant over..

Quebec dairy farmers are militant to the point of bordering on guerrilla warfare, demonstrations on the streets with tractors, spilled milk and manure. These guys can get nasty, compared to the rest of the country.

Grizz
Old 07-08-2020, 08:24 PM

While working in the Saskatoon area I noticed a farm where they sell milk on tap. Sunnyside Creamery I believe was the name of the farm. I thought it was an interesting way for the farm to try and maximize profit.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
(Quebec has over half of the IMQ). K, Quebec rant over..

Quebec dairy farmers are militant to the point of bordering on guerrilla warfare, demonstrations on the streets with tractors, spilled milk and manure. These guys can get nasty, compared to the rest of the country.

Grizz
Sorta like us oil workers holding up traffic and organizing rallies for oil workers. Lol sorry I do get your point Grizz but how far would you go to fight for your livelihood? And they are a totally different breed of dairy farmers out there thats for sure
Old 07-08-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
I've hauled raw milk from the farms to different plants here in southern Alberta for 40 years now. There's isn't one of them that I'd drink out of the tank. The Licencing Board even changed that we, milk graders don't have to taste the milk anymore as there is too big of a chance to catch e coli we can only judge the the milk by sight and smell.
Yup done the same thing hauled milk here in Central AB for 6 years. I never tasted the milk as I don’t like it, but when in doubt I did.
I grew up on a dairy so I know exactly what’s in raw milk.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:59 PM

I think that many of the perceived health concerns regarding raw milk are justified due to the sheer scale of commercial milk production.

One could certainly have some undesired health consequences if they were to consume unpasteurized milk which came from a hundred different animals.

I was brought up on raw milk which was obtained from a pair of "family cows" and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

As for the OP - sorry I can't help you as it's illegal.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:02 PM

Yes it is all the quota system. Any dairy over the quota for the day will feed the extra milk to the pigs before it would ever leave the farm and jeopardize their quota. They won't even sell the extra milk to ranchers to raise bum calves or twins.it goes down the drain first. It's such a load of bs, look what you pay for a gallon of milk, 6 bucks. Look what a gallon of gas costs in comparison, and look at the difference in the regulations, processing and distribution let alone all the other and tell me were not getting bent over by these supply management dairy crooks. There's a reason every new colony builds the dairy and chicken barns first.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebo View Post
Yes it is all the quota system. Any dairy over the quota for the day will feed the extra milk to the pigs before it would ever leave the farm and jeopardize their quota. They won't even sell the extra milk to ranchers to raise bum calves or twins.it goes down the drain first. It's such a load of bs, look what you pay for a gallon of milk, 6 bucks. Look what a gallon of gas costs in comparison, and look at the difference in the regulations, processing and distribution let alone all the other and tell me were not getting bent over by these supply management dairy crooks. There's a reason every new colony builds the dairy and chicken barns first.
No it is not all the quota system.
Milk at the farm has only gone through a plate cooler and a cloth style filter. no testing has been done on it or anything. So if a dairy farmer sells this milk for any purpose and something bad happens ie even your pig dies from it and you chase it back to the milk he is on the hook. Now I think they should be allowed to sell their extra for animal consumption even withstanding that. But for obvious health and safety reasons it does not meet the health requirements for general distribution.

As for the pricing, do you have any idea how much a farmer gets paid per liter of milk? I know our system is based on butterfat but you can still work out a rough price at say 3.5% butterfat content.

It is NOT the farmer that sets the price in the store. The price in the store is set from the store after they factor in a markup from buying from processors. Want to know who is making all the revenue? Just buy stock in Saputo they have a nice healthy dividend rate.
Also only 1 country that got rid of supply management did milk prices drop and that was NZ. Every other major market that removed supply management the prices for the consumer went up and the prices for the producers went down.

Often people will point to the US as a comparable with their cheap milk, often forgetting that A: alot of items are cheaper down there.
and B: it isn't actually cheaper for milk down there as their farmers get massive subsidy checks that are paid out from taxes. In Canada Dairy doesn't recieve subsidies, (minus the subsidy recently given for the giving up of market share for the new Nafta and TPP as that removed equity from farms)

As for why hutterites get into it, well it is a stable income unlike lets say pigs. And not many people want to be dairy farmers anymore as they want weekends and holidays off.

Anywho rant over lol.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Well played
Old 07-08-2020, 11:04 PM

You may have to resort to milking one of these CalgaryChef and then separate the cream. Take a drive to the nearest elk ranch at night. Climb the fence with a stool and a pail. The pic is from 1910 in southern Alberta, so it can be done.

It is odd that many of the seniors I know that are in their 80's and beyond grew up on fresh farm milk and cream, me included although I'm not quite that old. We put our milk through the cream separator at home and used the cream in and on everything. Like Calgarychef mentioned cream on fresh bread with brown sugar, mmmm, I added cinnamon too. Heavy cream in summer borscht. Creamed baby potatoes and creamed chicken. Mmmmm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 milking an elk. Alberta peels prairie provinces.jpg (84.7 KB, 75 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-08-2020, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Sorry just wondering where you are getting your info on milk being stored for 2 years in Quebec, and also what IMQ stands for?
When Trudeau Pere brought in the dairy quota system, Quebec was assigned over half of the industrial milk quota. My family had diary farmers in BC in those days, the result was that while BC was 11% of the industrial milk quota (IMQ) market, BC was only allowed to produce 2% of the national quota. The industrial milk that produces such things as butter, margarine, cheese, ice cream et al is mostly produced in Quebec, and is stored for as long as two years before sent to the customers. We bought the products, and saw the production dates.

We now do speciality herbs & vegetables, and wine grapes.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think some US states allow it as well, but there have been disease out breaks traced back to that. Animals are naturally dirty, tough to get totally around that. Pasteur was hailed as a life save when he developed the process. I have a good friend who's a former dairy farmer and member of the Dairy board, so I get all the scoop.
Grizz
Might come across the wrong way, but having grown up with family members doing diary in 3 countries, I wouldn't listen to diddly from anyone in the Dairy Board.

Last edited by Hadji Ramjet; 07-08-2020 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:54 AM

I am ok with pasteurized but what really irks me that all milk in store is homogenized and fortified. Totally unnecessary!! Why take it all out and artificially add it again? In Europe milk is only pasteurized and perfectly fine. Milk really sucks here.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 07-09-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadji Ramjet View Post
Might come across the wrong way, but having grown up with family members doing diary in 3 countries, I wouldn't listen to diddly from anyone in the Dairy Board.
Right or wrong, they rule the roost.

Grizz
Old 07-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Milk is good. Raw milk is good too.... but it isn’t worth the risk... just google what kind of diseases can be transferred via the raw milk. Tuberculosis, brucellosis etc etc etc. If you owe the cow and care for it yourself, know the history of the pasture, the place you are in and other factors, you can estimate the risk. But if you are buying from somebody with a numerous cows- I would not take any chances drinking that milk.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Milk is good. Raw milk is good too.... but it isn’t worth the risk... just google what kind of diseases can be transferred via the raw milk. Tuberculosis, brucellosis etc etc etc. If you owe the cow and care for it yourself, know the history of the pasture, the place you are in and other factors, you can estimate the risk. But if you are buying from somebody with a numerous cows- I would not take any chances drinking that milk.

Many of us grew up on “that milk.”
People who think they have lactose intolerance probably wouldn’t if h
They had raw milk with all of the healthy enzymes intact instead of destroyed.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
More scare tactics. You can get all those same things from a door knob.

People are gullible.

A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.
-Thomas Paine