Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2021, 09:20 AM

Default ice and snow

Have not herd any up dates on lake condition.
How thick is the ice in the centre of the lake ?
How deep is the snow ?
To deep for a truck ?
Old 02-06-2021, 09:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Have not herd any up dates on lake condition.
How thick is the ice in the centre of the lake ?
How deep is the snow ?
To deep for a truck ?
12" or so in middle, snow is mostly drifted 2' or so in areas....and with a truck your good to go but like everything else navigate accordingly and be careful...this cold snap will make the ice move a bit pushing up pressure ridges etc and the ice changes daily...was out last week and the area we normally fish has a few obstacles to overcome but four wheel drive had little to no issues at all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-06-2021, 07:21 PM

Well just rolled off the lake after 2 hard days of fishing battling the frigid temperatures. First morning landed a nice laker with the first mark turns out that was the only fish we ended up catching. Cold lake won this battle but we will be back. Good luck to everyone at the tournament I wouldn’t be throwing back fish without entering them waiting for the big one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2021, 07:54 PM

Crazy temps for sure...had reports that another crew ended up catching in 40' of water as the bite just was not there in the 80-120'....go figure eh!

Guys sleeping in the ice last night were entertained by ice thunder....

Old 02-07-2021, 08:34 PM

Out there Wednesday left Saturday at noon. We're set up in a 100 off of garnet. Had great ambition of hopping around but we were marking piles of fish and the cold weather kept us in one spot. Our third annual trip skunked twice but broke it this year. Ended up with 3. Got one Thursday at noonish with white moto pink skirt and sucker on a rod that got put down while buddy was looking for a pop and a smoke. Other 2 were back to back on Friday around 6 at night on wire pickerel jig with 5in herring and anchovy on a tip up in 40 feet. Pretty disappointed didn't get to fight with a rod but running out for the tip up and punching a hole through the froze over hole was still pretty exciting. Kim from the bait and tackle helped us to narrow it to garnet and the pre packaged sucker belly was great. Actually bought wood this year instead of posts and planks I had lying around and we were plenty warm and comfortable the whole weekend. Wont lie the popping and cracking all night Thursday and Friday was still nerve wracking but there was plenty of ice out. So many fish but only half hearted chasing banging bottom and changing hooks all the time we couldn't figure it out. All the fish around 64cm.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:37 PM

Mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8349.jpg (26.4 KB, 124 views)
Old 02-07-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Well just rolled off the lake after 2 hard days of fishing battling the frigid temperatures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binati View Post
Out there Wednesday left Saturday at noon.
You guys are better men than me! There's no way I was going out in those temps.

On Friday I let my wife "win" the argument and "begrudgingly" agreed that this weekend I would do what she wanted me to do....paint the bathroom.
But I told her that the next time I want to go fishing, she can't argue with me.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Mine
Good work bud we were the ones fishing next to you guys Friday in the tent. We didn’t end up catching any more we decided to go perch fishing on the inner lakes Saturday afternoon. I’ll be back for redemption one of these days.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:05 AM

Wink

No guts no glory

Old 02-08-2021, 11:42 PM

Default 2020/2021 Cold Lake Ice and Fishing Reports

Hey fellas, I am wanting to take my half-ton and 18ft holiday trailer out this next weekend. Sounds like there’s only about 12”” in the Center right now which wouldn’t be enough. You guys think we’ll see enough ice thickness come Friday? Or maybe there’s some places where you think I would be fine on lake? Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Last edited by Nevada; 02-08-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
Hey fellas, I am wanting to take my half-ton and 18ft holiday trailer out this next weekend. Sounds like there’s only about 12”” in the Center right now which wouldn’t be enough. You guys think we’ll see enough ice thickness come Friday? Or maybe there’s some places where you think I would be fine on lake? Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Hmmmmm.....I know in French bay right now yes.....off some points yes....but if your going to take the chance to head out towards the middle myself I would leave the trailer up at the parking spot at the PP and head out on the ice with the truck and verify the ice depths, conditions for yourself and then make a plan from there....good luck.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Out there Wednesday left Saturday at noon. We're set up in a 100 off of garnet. Had great ambition of hopping around but we were marking piles of fish and the cold weather kept us in one spot. Our third annual trip skunked twice but broke it this year. Ended up with 3. Got one Thursday at noonish with white moto pink skirt and sucker on a rod that got put down while buddy was looking for a pop and a smoke. Other 2 were back to back on Friday around 6 at night on wire pickerel jig with 5in herring and anchovy on a tip up in 40 feet. Pretty disappointed didn't get to fight with a rod but running out for the tip up and punching a hole through the froze over hole was still pretty exciting. Kim from the bait and tackle helped us to narrow it to garnet and the pre packaged sucker belly was great. Actually bought wood this year instead of posts and planks I had lying around and we were plenty warm and comfortable the whole weekend. Wont lie the popping and cracking all night Thursday and Friday was still nerve wracking but there was plenty of ice out. So many fish but only half hearted chasing banging bottom and changing hooks all the time we couldn't figure it out. All the fish around 64cm.
This lake has left me defeated a couple times in the winter, but I still can't get enough of it. Hopefully you slay next time!

Last edited by Afrayedknot; 02-09-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:01 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the season I'm really only on before my yearly trip and look forward to next year's. Dont have much to offer a week after my trip. Not done fishing for the year but know my local hole well enough. Enjoy the rest of the season.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:28 PM

Any new updates on the ice thickness and travel conditions around the lake after this cold snap?
Curious where the heaves are hanging around right now as well. Looking forward to a 4-5 day trip in a weeks time. Thanks for any info.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Any new updates on the ice thickness and travel conditions around the lake after this cold snap?
Curious where the heaves are hanging around right now as well. Looking forward to a 4-5 day trip in a weeks time. Thanks for any info.
lots of ice 20" plus as for travel no issues there has been not too much snow but be careful as there are a few ruff areas and ice protruding upwards and the lake can change daily.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
lots of ice 20" plus as for travel no issues there has been not too much snow but be careful as there are a few ruff areas and ice protruding upwards and the lake can change daily.
Thanks for the report, hoping the weather holds. Is there much for heaves to avoid?
Old 02-16-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Thanks for the report, hoping the weather holds. Is there much for heaves to avoid?
Two that I found running from pp to garnet and a lot of ruff ice mostly covered with snow...odd large pieces of ice sticking up here and there...I recommend that you hit the ice in daylight for at least the first time.
Good luck....

Old 02-16-2021, 09:22 AM

always good to check yourself still. had 24" 3/4 of the way across french bay but where we set up camp only had 16".
Old 02-16-2021, 07:56 PM

Default Lake access from English Bay PP?

Does anybody know if there is access to drive on to Cold Lake from English Bay Provincial Park? If so, any heaves or rough ice to worry about?

Rainbows=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Lakers=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Perch => 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Pike=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Walleye=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Whitefish=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Burbot=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)

Successful Days=> 0
Skunked Days=> 0
Old 02-17-2021, 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=Captainslug;4333265]Does anybody know if there is access to drive on to Cold Lake from English Bay Provincial Park? If so, any heaves or rough ice to worry about?[/QUOTE

A few posts up......

Old 02-17-2021, 08:46 AM

I wasn’t asking about ice conditions, but access via getting on the lake via the ENGLISH Bay PP not the FRENCH Bay PP. They are two totally different parks. But it may be my mistake because it’s name is English Bay Provincial Recreation Area. Not “Park”. Sorry. Is there a locked gate? Are people able to drive onto the lake at the boat launch? But I do thank you quick response.

Rainbows=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Lakers=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Perch => 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Pike=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Walleye=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Whitefish=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)
Burbot=> 0 Landed (0 Keeper size)

Successful Days=> 0
Skunked Days=> 0
Old 02-17-2021, 07:07 PM

I drove down there a few weeks ago and I didn't see any place to drive my truck on. There was a turn around spot where you could unload a quad. I know there is a sketchy boat launch nearby but the gates I saw were locked.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainslug View Post
I wasn’t asking about ice conditions, but access via getting on the lake via the ENGLISH Bay PP not the FRENCH Bay PP. They are two totally different parks. But it may be my mistake because it’s name is English Bay Provincial Recreation Area. Not “Park”. Sorry. Is there a locked gate? Are people able to drive onto the lake at the boat launch? But I do thank you quick response.
Sorry read your post wrong....I do know people just went on the ice at the marina and drove over with no issues and fished that area but I personally have not ventured over that way as my past experience it was a pain in the butt cuz that launch is open and exposed having a real ruff shoreline but who knows.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:19 PM

Default lac st anne ice.

hey guys just wondering if anyone was on the ice at alberta beach after the cold snap for the past few weeks ... was wanting to take the family ouy for a day this sunday seeing how its so nice out , i have a couple walleye tags hoping to fill but if i dont oh well at least im out on the lake . basically wondering if i can drive on the lake with a truck full of kids and wife. maybe il have to take a drive out there and check it out first . always nervous driving out on the ice. thanks fellas !
Old 02-19-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangebugler View Post
hey guys just wondering if anyone was on the ice at alberta beach after the cold snap for the past few weeks ... was wanting to take the family ouy for a day this sunday seeing how its so nice out , i have a couple walleye tags hoping to fill but if i dont oh well at least im out on the lake . basically wondering if i can drive on the lake with a truck full of kids and wife. maybe il have to take a drive out there and check it out first . always nervous driving out on the ice. thanks fellas !
Looks like you got the wrong thread.

Heading to Cold this weekend. A week late, but happy to finally get out
Old 02-21-2021, 06:03 PM

Popped my cherry on Cold Lake today. Beauty 27 incher. And seen some neighbors catch 2 beautiful burbs. Question.. how deep can burbs be caught? Laker was caught at 90ft today and the burbs I saw were at 40ft. Wanna give myself the best chance as Im only here for a short time. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo View Post
Popped my cherry on Cold Lake today. Beauty 27 incher. And seen some neighbors catch 2 beautiful burbs. Question.. how deep can burbs be caught? Laker was caught at 90ft today and the burbs I saw were at 40ft. Wanna give myself the best chance as Im only here for a short time. Thanks.

congrats...seen burbs caught in 60' but 40' is pretty much the norm....how was the ice conditions with the warming temps?

Old 02-21-2021, 06:11 PM

Ice was good. 24 plus. Little snow on top. Lots of people out. My first time so not too sure of where to go.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo View Post
Ice was good. 24 plus. Little snow on top. Lots of people out. My first time so not too sure of where to go.

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts...4697/-110.1627

find areas on the lake for burbs that are 30-60' but are not steep more kinda gradual with a sandy bottom which is most of the lake anyways...I know a few years ago people would stay in those depths not too far off the marina area for burbs...bang the bottom hard to create a disturbance and then lay your baited jig on the bottom or just off the bottom and see what happens...whole herring, half a herring, sucker belly, hot dog...ya never know what they will hit though.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:12 PM

Thanks. Here to hoping and another good day. Beautiful place.