Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-15-2020, 02:03 AM

Default Mixed powder...?

So I made a mistake...

I just took the bullets out of 3 rounds I had leftover from load development a while ago, mixed in with a 50rd lot of Lapua brass I had done load development on recently. I'm doing another run of reloads for this caliber, but have used 4 different projectiles with 3 different powders.

After pulling the bullets & discarding them, I set those cases aside and started the case-prep process on the freshly tumbled Lapua stuff. After finishing the prep, I started to prepare for loading powder. This is where I messed up...

I grabbed the powder I was using to load (IMR 4350), and when I noticed the 3 other cases (with powder in them) I started to dump them in the container 1 at a time. As soon as the 1st case was empty, it clicked - "IT'S DIFFERENT POWDER, THEY WERE SMALLER BULLETS !".

So I dumped 41 grains of IMR 4064 into almost a full pound (minus 25 cases @ ~37.5 grains, so ~ 6100 grains) of IMR 4350...

I realize using it will slightly affect pressure & velocity, and give different results than previous DOPE or future results after this pound is gone.

I also have another unopened pound I could "cut" it with, to further lessen any variance from the original powder. But then both would be "contaminated"...

Should I roll it around & mix it up, call it good ? . . . . Or toss the whole 6/7 lb of powder out ?

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 07-15-2020 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:19 AM

I would just use the pound of powder the way it is. It will make zero difference. If you are really worried about it, pour the powder into a large shallow plastic or glass pan and pick the 4064 granules out with some tweezers, you can see the difference easy enough. 41 grains in 6000 isn't even 1% so personally I wouldn't bother..
Old 07-15-2020, 02:32 AM

Thanks for the response so late at night, Dean... My condition has my up anyway, so I wanted to get some of this done if I can't get to sleep.

Think I'm gonna run with it... I know my data is good, once this pound is gone I can see any variance (if there is any) once I open the other pound.

Your response confirmed my thoughts, just wanted to hear it from someone else...

Old 07-15-2020, 07:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I would just use the pound of powder the way it is. It will make zero difference. If you are really worried about it, pour the powder into a large shallow plastic or glass pan and pick the 4064 granules out with some tweezers, you can see the difference easy enough. 41 grains in 6000 isn't even 1% so personally I wouldn't bother..
I've done the same with H335 and BLC-2 but it was one Rem .223 case (23 gns) of BLC into my 1/2 lb of H335.. I mixed it up and used that lot. I saw no changes in pressure or velocity. A mistake I wont repeat.. I hope.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:41 AM

x3 for all of the above as already said it titrates down to the #'s which are small %'s and therefore minuscule in their relative significance
Old 07-15-2020, 11:28 AM

Thank you, gentlemen... I'm about to start filling cases, like you said - the percentage is negligible.

And yeah, Trooper, I hope I never make that mistake again. It will be in my mind now, every time I grab a gun-powder container.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:51 PM

Default Mix it up and shoot it

And only one powder at a time on the bench !!!!
Old 07-15-2020, 09:10 PM

I think 4064 and 4350 are similar sized stick powders if I'm not mistaken with burn rates not all that far apart and only 40 grains mixed into 7000 grains (1lb.) pound is a very small percentage and wont make much if any difference. The only time I would be wary is if some fine grain of fast burning powder got mixed with a large size stick slow burning powder, say h322, got mistakenly mixed into lets say a h4831 can. The small kernels fall thru the big stuff and settle to the bottom of the can. If you happen to be loading 60 gr. of 4831 for say a .270 out of that can and have gotten to the last bit in the bottom you might be loading mostly 60 grains of 322 into a .270 and blow your gun and yourself up.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I think 4064 and 4350 are similar sized stick powders if I'm not mistaken with burn rates not all that far apart and only 40 grains mixed into 7000 grains (1lb.) pound is a very small percentage and wont make much if any difference. The only time I would be wary is if some fine grain of fast burning powder got mixed with a large size stick slow burning powder, say h322, got mistakenly mixed into lets say a h4831 can. The small kernels fall thru the big stuff and settle to the bottom of the can. If you happen to be loading 60 gr. of 4831 for say a .270 out of that can and have gotten to the last bit in the bottom you might be loading mostly 60 grains of 322 into a .270 and blow your gun and yourself up.
Solid point
Old 07-16-2020, 08:54 PM

41 grs. / 7000grs. = 0.00584 x 100 = 0.58%...nothing to worry about...IF you mixed in the other pound of powder that 1/2 percent would drop by another half..... shoot, enjoy...
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Thank you, gentlemen... I'm about to start filling cases, like you said - the percentage is negligible.

And yeah, Trooper, I hope I never make that mistake again. It will be in my mind now, every time I grab a gun-powder container.

Your post just reminded me of a tragic accident that was told to me many years ago. Seems a fellow decided to take his black powder rifle out hunting. He grabbed a can of Goex off his powder shelf and out he went. He loaded up his 50 cal and started his trek through the woods. He saw a nice buck, brought his rifle to his shoulder and touched off that powder.. Unfortunately, he had grabbed a red can of IMR 3031 and didn't pay any attention to the similarities of the cans. He lost his left arm below the elbow and his right hand was rendered useless. He was found and taken to the nearest hospital and medical aid was given. It's safe to say that his hunting days ended that evening.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:07 PM

I once made the cardinal sin of opening a can of powder while I was emptying another powder out of the powder measure. Of course I poured the powder into the wrong canister. *******! Never get ahead of yourself when reloading, always finish one task before starting another.

As an object lesson to myself to never make this mistake again (and I'm cheap), I poured the mixed powder into a cake pan. The shape and color differences between the two powders was marked. I used a tweezer to sort the powders. I don't think I'll mix powders again!