Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Default 17 bmag

Hey guys, looking to buy a savage bmag, I was wondering if any of you have experience with the savage bmag? The regular sport barrel and/or the stainless heavy barrel. pros/cons etc. All your insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2015, 03:20 PM

When I first heard the Bmag was coming out I thought I would be one of the first to have one. After handling the first one I couldn't believe how cheap feeling it was and the most horrendous action I have ever felt. If CZ ever came out with a 17wsm I will probably buy one but until then no thanks.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
When I first heard the Bmag was coming out I thought I would be one of the first to have one. After handling the first one I couldn't believe how cheap feeling it was and the most horrendous action I have ever felt. If CZ ever came out with a 17wsm I will probably buy one but until then no thanks.
So even putting a boyds stock on wouldn't do it for ya ?
Old 07-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGLADNEY View Post
Putting a Boyd's stock on it won't help that action.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned

Hello JP. I've had experience with 3 of them. Not mine (not interested in one), but a friend who habitually buys a gun, scope and rings and drops of the goods at my place to put it all together, shoot it and sight in. The first two were horrible as far as accuracy does. Something in the neighbourhood of 3" for the 1st one. Returned it and exchanged for #2 which did slightly better, about 2" of so. When I returned the 2nd one, the salesman asked whether I had tightened everything properly. I think that he was being facicious as we know each other quite well, at least I hope he was, but he did ask that with a smile on his face. Anyhow, even though the 3rd one grouped to my friend's liking, my 17HMR will group consistently INSIDE of his 17WSM groups. Consider the caliber and it's intentions. It is a small varmint round intended for extended range. It should as a result group sub-minute of gopher. None of the 3 that I've handled will accomplish that. And besides, as someone said, it has to be the most horrible action ever, bolt closure nearly requires a spanner. Also, have a close look at the chamber face. It is a convex protusion with a very thin face end which means easily damaged. Much the same as the model 25 of which I had one chambered in 17 hornet. I hated it much as I would the Bmag. In that category, I would much prefer having a. 22 hornet. Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
That would be $ waisted IMHO. It's not just ugly, it's barely functional, and the rotary magazine is pure junk. Trust me, it's not a Ruger rotary.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
The only good thing about the bmag is the calibre itself. Once you get it dialed in ,they are fun in the gopher patch.
But the gun itself.
Every now and then a casing will split a get jammed. While pulling back on the bolt to get it unjammed. It came lose all of sudden coming back hard on the bolt release. Breaking it. I'm still waiting for the part.
I heard Ruger is making a 17wsm. I would wait to see what there like. I will be buying one.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Hello JP. I've had experience with 3 of them. Not mine (not interested in one), but a friend who habitually buys a gun, scope and rings and drops of the goods at my place to put it all together, shoot it and sight in. The first two were horrible as far as accuracy does. Something in the neighbourhood of 3" for the 1st one. Returned it and exchanged for #2 which did slightly better, about 2" of so. When I returned the 2nd one, the salesman asked whether I had tightened everything properly. I think that he was being facicious as we know each other quite well, at least I hope he was, but he did ask that with a smile on his face. Anyhow, even though the 3rd one grouped to my friend's liking, my 17HMR will group consistently INSIDE of his 17WSM groups. Consider the caliber and it's intentions. It is a small varmint round intended for extended range. It should as a result group sub-minute of gopher. None of the 3 that I've handled will accomplish that. And besides, as someone said, it has to be the most horrible action ever, bolt closure nearly requires a spanner. Also, have a close look at the chamber face. It is a convex protusion with a very thin face end which means easily damaged. Much the same as the model 25 of which I had one chambered in 17 hornet. I hated it much as I would the Bmag. In that category, I would much prefer having a. 22 hornet. Just my opinion of course.
Sweet thank you. Were those the regular B mags or was it the heavy barrel model ?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:09 PM

Winchester has an 1885 single shot in 17wsm
Old 07-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sweet thank you. Were those the regular B mags or was it the heavy barrel model ?
Heavy barrel. But the only difference between the 2 is the barrel OD. Everything else should be just as bad in a standard barrel.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 PM

My B mag is heavily modified but I'm happy with it, it shot 1" groups before and after I played with it. But that stock was really cheap.

As for the action, not sure what the complaints are about, the bolt has a stiff firing spring which makes the cock on close stiff but it cycles smooth.

You think you've seen a rough bolt you should see the JW 105 Norinco (.223), like a wooden spoon through a bucket of gravel.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 PM

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/B.MagTarget

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-27-2015, 03:36 AM

i bought one from a auction, so i got it fairly cheep and put a decent scope and a boyds stock on it. looks like the Bmag target now
it shoots very well now with the new stock and a bit of work
the bolt it still horrendous though, tight to close and the mag is in my opinion JUNK. i tend to load 1 at a time.
the good thing is ammo is available everywhere for it and its the same price as 17hmr
and it has a fair amount of extra wack compared to a 17hmr or 22 mag
folds coyotes at 200 yards no problem
Old 07-27-2015, 07:54 AM

co-worker of mine recently bought the bmag target and i have been able to shoot a few rounds in a gopher patch with it but have yet to get it on paper. i found not the stiff bolt the problem rather than the fact that the bolt stayed quite close to the stock and was hard to get a grip on. besides the bolt being a little funny the gun seems to perform fairly well gophers crows and magpies are not safe anywhere within 200 yards of that rifle.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 AM

Ruger makes an interesting option in this chambering. I read the trigger is crap though, the good news is there is an aftermarket available. 2lb. pull. I am patiently waiting for a CZ offering.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-28-2015, 04:55 PM

Default 17 b-mag

Have 2 of them one has the boyds stock and shoots great, action and trigger are what they are on a gun for that price point, the one with the plastic stock is currently being tested by a buddy and he says he is going to buy it, it shoots OK will put 3 shots in 1.25" group at 100 yards.

The one with the boyds laminate stock will shoot 3 shot 3/4" groups any time so not bad for a rimfire at 100 yards, whacks gophers out to 150 yards if I do my part but neither one of them will shoot the 25 gr ammo worth a hoot so I have to stick to 20 gr