Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM

Exclamation Want to provide input on the potential reintroduction of Bison in Banff National Park? Here's your opportunity

Report from Parks at this link.
http://globalnews.ca/news/827969/par...back-to-banff/

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/ban...ent/bison.aspx

CALGARY – Parks Canada is looking for feedback on plans to bring buffalo back to Banff National Park.

Bison were the dominant herbivores on the eastern slopes of the park for thousands of years, but have been absent since before the park was created 126 years ago.

Plans to reintroduce the iconic species to that landscape were first announced in January of 2012, and officials are launching public consolations into the impact on the park and on neighbouring lands.

They’ve compiled a draft plan for the bison’s reintroduction, which they say helps furthers Parks Canada’s conservation goal of restoring and maintaining a full complement of native species in Canada’s national parks.

Canadians are invited to provide feedback on the draft plan from September 9th until November 1st, 2013.

To access the plan, along with other information on the plains bison, the public are encouraged to visit http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/banff-bison.

Comments on the plan and reintroduction can be sent to opinion@pc.gc.ca.

READ: Parks Canada’s draft plan for public consultation regarding the reintroduction of wild plains bison to Banff National Park
Old 09-09-2013, 02:20 PM

What a painfull read.

I feel like they are talking to grade three students.

Comment on what? The drivel spewed as a "draft plan"? Where is the "Plan"?

The only comment I could logically have from the provided information is that they better stop the propaganda and provide accurate science and details of the plan, especially regarding issues relating to Bison leaving the Park.

My favorite aspect of this cute webpage is that Parks want to establish a "Free Roaming" Bison population by placing them in a contained area.

I am not against the concept, however this weak public consultation is embarrassing.

Last edited by walking buffalo; 09-09-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM

I can't wait to see some of the tourists walking up to a big buffalo bill to get a few pictures like they do with the elk.

Removing them from the town will be a bit of a problem I suspect also.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM

The first thing that jumped out at me:

Are the launching public consolations, or consultations? It's nice to know they know there's a difference.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM

There is a you tube video of a dad gesturing his son to get closer to a buffalo in Yellowstone I think so he can get a picture. They are on a boardwalk and in the video you can see the Buffalo getting ****ed, its hair starts standing up too. Well it's good video of the buffalo charging the kid and then chasing the dad around. I suspect this will happen in the parks if the buffalo are brought back in. Common sense says this is a bad idea for a lot of reasons, so why is it being pushed ahead. Oh ya, cause we don't know anything.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
There is a you tube video of a dad gesturing his son to get closer to a buffalo in Yellowstone I think so he can get a picture. They are on a boardwalk and in the video you can see the Buffalo getting ****ed, its hair starts standing up too. Well it's good video of the buffalo charging the kid and then chasing the dad around. I suspect this will happen in the parks if the buffalo are brought back in. Common sense says this is a bad idea for a lot of reasons, so why is it being pushed ahead. Oh ya, cause we don't know anything.
Saw that video... freaking hilarious!

http://youtu.be/DXZUTSRZdwU

Can't fix stupid I suppose....
Old 09-09-2013, 02:49 PM

I think they should do it.

I look forward to the Canmore and K Country bison hunts.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:08 PM

That kid should be on a t-shirt or inspirational poster.

"Never Give Up!"

I like how his dad laughs after. "I knew you could do it, son!" hahaha!

As for bison in Banff. I'd personally not be going to visit free range bison in Banff because I probably wouldn't visit Banff anyway. So I vote yes.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Banned

I guess the ultimate question is:

Would the reintroduction of bison provide a positive revenue stream.

ie. good for tourism?

I don't think so.

That video was great. That little kid could haul!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM

AS WB said what is their plan once they spread and leave Banff? I could see this get interesting w/regards to vehicle damage from a few buffalo not liking the look of small cars (or perhaps liking their look too much during mating season ) It could also be hilarious if they wander into town, the Canadian version of "the running of the bulls"
Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Banned

There is a Parks Canada Video I believe it is called best Summer Job in Canada. It is in their video library online. It is promotional for the Bison project referenced above. You will see they have tried to get for one the Sundre Fish and Game Association on board to give their blessing to the project, but according to friends that belong they haven't succedded. The buffoons in the video from the club were promised positions as stewards of the buffalo and be able to use Parks horses and Cabins while they monitored the bison.

They Luxton Foundation of Banff is spearheading this but they want to use OUR taxpayer money to fund it. The whole thing is full of holes. They have had many openhouses already but have run into major opposition at each one. They have proposed drift fences along the Ya Ha Tinda and Panther areas to keep the bison in. Right...like that will work. They have also proposed to feed them with hay until they get self sufficient. Well folks I am sure many of you are aware of the Parks policy on leaving the Park pristine and disturbing nothing. How about all the weed seeds in the hay, or introducing a species that is NOT indiginous to the area. It has been proven the only reason bison were in the Park is they were temporarily pushed in by fire or hunting pressure.

I am against this and could rant on about it but all it seems to be is a job for a couple retired Parks Biologists to supplement their pension.

Last edited by martinnordegg; 09-09-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Just strollin'. Like a boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdvwrlGikzo
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 PM

They did consultation and got input from stake holders. They said NO. Some heavy duty lobby groups pushing this thing. Good news is they claim if they leave the Park, they're fair game. I could do a bison hunt on the Ya Ha Tinda, which is where they would end up.

Grizz
Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
They did consultation and got input from stake holders. They said NO. Good news is they claim if they leave the Park, they're fair game. I could do a bison hunt on the Ya Ha Tinda, which is where they would end up.

Grizz
I've had some exposure to some of the folks at Parks - very much full of people with thier own agendas living in some sort of a utopian society concept. It's sad, because there are some fantastic people in that organization as well. Incredibly frustrating for the logical and realistic folks. Maybe some day they'll trim the fat and hanger's on and treat our Parks as they should. Well, maybe that's too idealistic. The morons with Yellowstone to Yukon initiative seem to be well funded with nothing but time and propaganda on their hands. This bison stuff just plays into thier hands.

Ooops sorry, we have to close more trails and not allow horse or foot access into areas because we don't want to harm our poor indiginous bison! (I honestly see that happening)

Too many misguided greenies as far as I'm concerned. It makes me sick, and there's very little I can do about it. I can only encourage people to submit thier comments so that they can't say that this stupid initiative was widely supported.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Banned

Cool

The historic range appears from more than one source to extend to the BC border in the south and well into BC in the north . Altough the 50+ million in canada alone took less than a few decades to eradicate. Oh that was for political ends and greed . Been roaming the west aprox 25000 yrs we know better.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 PM

It will go well until the first tourist gets his camera lens implanted in his eye socket from an angry bison....

LC
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
It will go well until the first tourist gets his camera lens implanted in his eye socket from an angry bison....

LC
Is this suggesting a tourist has never been Inured by animals that live in the parks now. Ie bears and elk .
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4T9CQA0UM

F*N Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Saw that video... freaking hilarious!

http://youtu.be/DXZUTSRZdwU

Can't fix stupid I suppose....
Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikehunter13 View Post
that is awesome. Gettin chased by a bear so I chase him back cause I'm on a buffalo!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 PM

Is this the reason for all the new page wire construction going on now along the park highways?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Is this suggesting a tourist has never been Inured by animals that live in the parks now. Ie bears and elk .
Not suggesting that at all...just suggesting bison can hurt you too

LC
Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
Just strollin'. Like a boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdvwrlGikzo
some nice cuts of meat on that bison
Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbuster View Post
Is this the reason for all the new page wire construction going on now along the park highways?
No, thats to keep the animals (elk, deer, bears etc) off the highway. You can see the very expensive animal overpasses as well along the stretch
Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
some nice cuts of meat on that bison
I'd eat that bison so hard.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Banned

Cool

X2 So yummy cant wait for a friends butcher to get done with the next batch. Buddies step dad has a herd of 30+ with a wood bison as the stud.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
The historic range appears from more than one source to extend to the BC border in the south and well into BC in the north . Altough the 50+ million in canada alone took less than a few decades to eradicate. Oh that was for political ends and greed . Been roaming the west aprox 25000 yrs we know better.
Don't disagree with you FG, but several dumb decisions don't end up making good ones.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Don't disagree with you FG, but several dumb decisions don't end up making good ones.
So the issue is the how its being done as opposed to the bison them selves.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
So the issue is the how its being done as opposed to the bison them selves.
I suppose I could agree with that to some extent.

My own personal opinion, is now that they're gone, I'm not sure if they have a place to come back in the Park. I see them being used as a vehicle by special interest groups (i.e. Y2Y) to restrict access and make more rules, more regulations, more complications for areas bordering the park. So I guess, yes, I agree it's not neccesarily the bison themselves, its the issues around them that concern me.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Banned

Cool y2y

Well it would appear they have a 100 yr mission statement and are not going away any time soon. Imo becoming a representing force in the orginization would be the way forward. This would insure a better user group diversify . They have support , they have money and the best of " intentions"this can be corrupted with a few user groups if all are not represented sadly mce is one of the sponsors and we know how they view hunting in general.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Banned

Who cares about details?

I'd be tickled pink if we had more free range bison out there...hopefully increasing in numbers sufficient to hunt... some day.

So...I'm all in as far as the principle goes... and of no opion WRT how it is rolled out since...we don't really seem to know yet.

Tags
banff, bison, parks canada