Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Banned

Exclamation !!!for the spray lake fisherfolk!!!

Apparently the road to Spray is closed due to an avalanche pending,,, that was on the CFCN news yesterday at 5. Maybe call that outfitter in Canmore to get more details on when it's re-opening.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM

I hope it is open by Friday when I plan on heading there.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:21 AM

http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kana...ailreport.aspx

dont know how long it will last but this site is great for posting closures in the area.

Cheers,
Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 PM

I'll be taking a look tomorrow. I was surprized to find it closed when I tried yesterday and was expecting to hear bombing today but nothing, doesn't seem like anything has come down on it's own quite yet. Will post back for anyone who's interested.

There's no fish in the spray anyway
Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM

We had helicopter bombing this morning - around 10:30, shook our house over on Larch pretty good!. Two very big avalanches came down, gave a great show from all over town, and I'm sure they buried the road pretty good.
I don't know if it's open yet.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

Thanks for the update!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 PM

I can't believe I never heard it, mind you I was in the shop and had tools running off and on. I always get a kick out of watching them bomb that wall, we're up in peaks and get a pretty good view. Better than T.V that's for sure.

While we're talking about Spray, I heard some second hand info regarding someone breaking through the ice right close to the bank somewhere. Was in shallow water, hit bottom and only went in up to armpits. Lucky because there are spots where it drops right away. Can anyone confirm this?
There is 28 or 30" of solid ice out in the middle of the lake and I have found some as thin as 20" in some of the little bays. I think some of the inlets are a bit dicey but I didn't think there was any really rotten ice yet.

With what I normally wear out there to stay warm in that godforsaken wind I would sink like a stone in seconds, not a comforting thought.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM

just saw on the news they re-opened the road
Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 PM

I saw that too. I will be there tomorrow at dawn.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Default It`s opened :)))

March 8th, 2012:

Smith-Dorrien/Spray Lakes Trail (Road) & Grassi Lakes Trail: The Smith-Dorrien/Spray Road (Hwy #742) has re-opened to traffic following this week’s closure.

Grassi Lakes Trail has likewise re-opened to the public.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 AM

I got up there yesterday for the day and it was a beauty. Good solid morning for lakers and then went to shore for some whites after lunch, managed to get into a few good schools. Oddly, and this is not the first time, I watched as this whitefish tried for the swivel on my rig over and over and over. It's pretty cool to watch and also fun to try and lift my rig while it's facing away so that the next time it comes by it sees a fly instead of a swivel. I did manage to get him this time. Sorry guys no pictures as I fish by myself and am trying to get them swimming asap.

Although there was some slush close to the banks I think the ice is still getting thicker believe it or not, 30" for sure. I'm sure it will start to go the other way pretty quick considering the weather forecast. Just as well because I'm getting itchy fingers for some open water fishing. May have to stomp the bow and shake off the cobwebs pretty quick here.

Hope you all had a great weekend!