Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 PM

Default Pembina River First Timer

Good day all. Planning to go out camping this weekend to nakamun. Buddy has a cabin out there. I was hoping to fish the Pembina for the first time. The closest access point I could find was the bridge towards Barrhead. Was just wondering if that's a good place to start or is that a waste of time. Should I go look else where for access.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:45 PM

Last time i was lookin at maps i noticed a fair bit of what looked like access points up by barrhead might be worth a try there can be some very nice fish in there
Old 09-01-2015, 11:19 PM

About a month ago I fished every bridge between Entwhistle and Barhead, 3 small walleye for the day. River was very low. Probably had something to do with it.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:54 PM

I would say that it is ok but I would recommend light jig heads because that river likes to steal them.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:18 PM

Spent a day last august hitting a bunch of spots on the river around barhead. Traveled back roads back eddys and everthing in between. Fishing was terrible only one small walley. I admit river fishing is not my specialty but I would try and hook up with someone who knows the area.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:31 PM

If you want to drive a bit farther there's the small village just west of Barrhead, it's called Manola the bridge there is just on a bend and has some nice spots there. Or if you go over the pembina bridge going north on 33 take your first road heading west. Fallow that road and it hits the river a few times some nice spots down there.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:36 PM

That's east of barrhead
Old 09-02-2015, 06:44 PM

Default Its been years

but having fished various stretches (from Hwy. 16 area, north of La Nonne, around Barrhead and Westlock) some years back, by far the best stretch for eyes and pike, numbers and size, was from Flatbush area (there is a road crossing and bridge at a Twp road south of the campground on the highway -maybe Twp. 660?), to the confluence with the Athabasca. Most of that stretch was pretty remote and hard to access past that bridge (just a few private 4x4 tracks) back then. Maybe it still is (?). But we used to put the inflatable in at the bridge (and there was decent eye fishing right there) and float/paddle about 10 km down to the take out off a back track that an accomodating farmer/landowner let us use. Used to be some dandy deep pools full of good-sized eyes, and some weedy backwater areas with decent pike. Has it changed?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:21 PM

Thanks to all the guys for the tips. I will try Manola and west off the hiway just as you cross heading to Barrhead. Will update when I get out there.