Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
lol, I would have told him to his face too, clean your **** up, its not hard, and if it was just there when he got there, then ok, I guess just sit there and fish in the garbage? its not rocket science, especially when you have kids running around !
Honest question, why are you derailing this thread? When did his nice catch turn into an argument about picking up garbage? Please explain.

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 PM

And I thought I was bad for derailing threads

Awesome fish man, need to put some time in on those southern rivers and get me one.

Thank You for sharing.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-27-2013, 06:36 PM

nice fish congrats
Old 07-27-2013, 07:01 PM

I don't pick up garbage every time I fish. And sometimes I do.... Does that make me a half azz fisherman? Sollies method of sliding weight is called low impact for a reason. The pickerel rig hardware you are "beefing up" is damaging to the fish. They can tangle in it and when it breaks off it still catches fish! Every time I go to legends I drag at least a half dozen of these rigs off the bottom and sometimes with dead/dying fish still attached. Even a few of them I think were your beefed up rigs. When I loose gear the weight and hardware falls off the line and has no potential to harm fish. Worst thing on it is a single barbless hook and a length of line... Not a deathtrap on the bottom of the river.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 PM

Great job. Thanks for the pictures.
It's inspired me to try again. It's been awhile.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
They can tangle in it and when it breaks off it still catches fish! Every time I go to legends I drag at least a half dozen of these rigs off the bottom and sometimes with dead/dying fish still attached.
My stepson and I pulled out a snagged rig with a rotten goldeye on it last weekend.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Especially when there is garbage cans 5 feet away !
Well at least someone is using the garbage cans I put out at Legends!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Exclamation Lead Garbage

Here is a photo of the tangled weights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lead weights_jul28_13.jpg (51.1 KB, 122 views)
Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
Here is a photo of the tangled weights.
I'll buy that off of you!!!! How much???lol
Old 07-29-2013, 12:23 AM

right on, keep it up
Old 07-29-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Angler View Post
Honest question, why are you derailing this thread? When did his nice catch turn into an argument about picking up garbage? Please explain.
X 2. The derail attemp was "pathetic". I can see why folks are leery to post pics here due to the "holier than thou club"
Awesome fish.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Congrats on they first sturgeon! And good job on using the appropriate rigging.

Don't mean to add to the derail, but canadianjackazz, get a life. Instead of accusing someone, how about a congrats. And a sliding rig is the way to go, you think catching 5 in a week makes you some "badazz" get real. There's guys catching 10-15 a day.

Once again congrats to the OP sure is a nice way for a couple to enjoy a nice summer evening.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Congrats on they first sturgeon! And good job on using the appropriate rigging.

Don't mean to add to the derail, but canadianjackazz, get a life. Instead of accusing someone, how about a congrats. And a sliding rig is the way to go, you think catching 5 in a week makes you some "badazz" get real. There's guys catching 10-15 a day.

Once again congrats to the OP sure is a nice way for a couple to enjoy a nice summer evening.
This isn't aimed at any particular individual(s) but rather a small commentary on the forum.

Sadly it's true...a year or two back I was posting pics and trip reports quite regularly...usually at least 2-3 times a week. It used to be fun to post and share, but with all 'holier than thou' keyboard warriors, I usually just can't be bothered.

The people that treat recreational fishing like a competition are almost as offputting as those who derail. Catching a bunch of fish does not automatically gain you credibility.

[/Rant]

To the OP: Congrats on your first sturgeon!!!

IBTL

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Default leader

I recently found that nylon leader material at TFH and was a bit sceptical, it seems rather bulky, but Ive caught goldeye, mooneye, walleye, suckers, chubs and sturgeon on it so far, holds up very well and best part no braided line burns on the sturgeon! I tie a swivel on tge end and then a length of 15 pound braid and tie my weight to that, if a fish snags the weigbt on bottom, like the sturgeon I just caught did, the weight is easily broken off and you land the fish not anchor it to the riverbottom. I use 5 or 6 feet of the leader at the end of my main line and snell my hook with 8 inches of my braid.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I agree man, first thing I do while im there is clean up garbage, especially worm cases and Bait buttons on the ground, My wife was disgusted, she said " such a beautiful place and people are too ignorant to pick up there garbage" ....... I fish that hole 3 -4 times a week, I take good care of it and its gross to see people walk over garbage whenthe can its 2 feet away ! Shame on them, Maybe that's why i catch lots of fish, Fish gods giving back !
I guess if anyone shows up there and sees garbage on the ground while you are fishing they have permission to tear into you for not picking it up.....seeing as how each time you go you clean the entire area up before you fish....

LC
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM

Fantastic fish!! really great to see thouse pics, that's one down and 99 to go Congrats
Red Neck Out
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Well done.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I guess if anyone shows up there and sees garbage on the ground while you are fishing they have permission to tear into you for not picking it up.....seeing as how each time you go you clean the entire area up before you fish....

LC
I clean the area im in, And I am always making sure my area looks good
, not the whole area, That's why I mention it to people who leave **** behind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 PM

Come on Badass that's not fair, guy is all excited about his fish and doing his best to be low impact to a great resource that is improving and you jump all over his back.. Same as you did with the last guy who posted his first sturgeon...

I met this couple tonight on the river and they were awesome people...

Badass ur rigs u make like AJ said are reckless at best and no where near low impact of using a slider....

I fished with you lots early this season and as much as you talk about catching sturgeon daily I never seen ya catch one haha all u ever talked about was some honey hole you had but still saw ya every other day at same place haha

Congrats on the fish guys, the video was priceless I saw tonight... Was a pleasure to meet ya both and I can assure all of you they cleaned up after themselves haha
Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 PM

Oh and by the way I caught 2 sturgeon tonight on the river... Was a great evening and met 3 AO members that were awesome... Ao member had buddy from Ontario that was nice enough to come and snap some pics for me as I was alone
Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERICARDO View Post
Come on Badass that's not fair, guy is all excited about his fish and doing his best to be low impact to a great resource that is improving and you jump all over his back.. Same as you did with the last guy who posted his first sturgeon...

Badass ur rigs u make like AJ said are reckless at best and no where near low impact of using a slider....

I fished with you lots early this season and as much as you talk about catching sturgeon daily I never seen ya catch one haha all u ever talked about was some honey hole you had but still saw ya every other day at same place haha

Congrats on the fish guys, the video was priceless I saw tonight... Was a pleasure to meet ya both and I can assure all of you they cleaned up after themselves haha
Thanks for the post, it was a pleasure fishing beside you tonight. We really enjoyed the company and conversation. We also are grateful you took note of our fishing etiquette, and will definitely be joining you again soon. And thanks to everyone else for their kind words of encouragement and congratulations. Haha if we ever run into any of you guys, ask to see the video that THERICARDO speaks of haha you'll see just how excited we were to land this beautiful fish
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Good to see people using circle hooks as there is less chance of a fish getting a hook in the guts using the circle hooks. I'm from Castlegar, B.C. and the guys here killed so many sturgeon using standard hooks that the sturgeon fishery was closed.
I used shin beef , yup, the meat off the shin of a cow, for bait as it is extremely tough, the blood come out until the meat is white and it pliable and once a fish picks it up it seams to keep picking it up until it is hooked. Biggest fish approx. 9 ft long. Used a 7/0 hook.
Columbia old guy
Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERICARDO View Post

I have sent ricardo a text with some pictures from the sturgeon I caught this week, ( Cuz telling someone is not enough these days, )

And I also offered to take him to my Secret Honey hole on sunday So he can clearly see how good it is there ....

A mans word now a days just inst good enough,,,,,, I wonder what our parents did to tell there buddys about a fish !

Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I have sent ricardo a text with some pictures from the sturgeon I caught this week, ( Cuz telling someone is not enough these days, )

And I also offered to take him to my Secret Honey hole on sunday So he can clearly see how good it is there ....

A mans word now a days just inst good enough,,,,,, I wonder what our parents did to tell there buddys about a fish !
And gas will be on me !

like crack.... First time is free ! lol

Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM

And to all the other AO forum members,,,

The only reason why I use the HANDLE CanadianBadass ..

That used to be my old Gaming handle, And I fiqured instead of having a **** load of online personnas , I would keep it the same, Im actually not that badass, More of the Father fiqure type, LOL LOL LOL

Old 07-30-2013, 05:24 PM

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Tags
fishing, sturg, sturgeon