Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2013, 02:23 PM

Talking First Sturgeon last night :) (Pics)

late last night a few mins from Edmonton, the GF hooked into this nice 50"r Sturgeon hahaha apologies for how I was holding it, but this was our first since we've been specifically been targeting catching one, so we were both pretty excited. And big thank you to all you guys who posted about proper rigging for this magnificent fish. It was a long hard battle back and forth and we loved every minute of it.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM

haha, nice pics! congrats!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM

nice fish man, im still trying for mine but just tryin down town behind the house..
Old 07-25-2013, 03:13 PM

Awesome fish congrats to you both!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Way to go, welcome to the club! I'm sure she'll be fine, you look stoked, I know I was!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Banned

congrats on your first sturgeon. from the way you were holding it, looks like you were going to give it a kiss. i know i'm going to give my first a kiss.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 PM

Haha thanks guys, yea I was tempted to give it a smooch . Can't remember the last time I was that excited about anything. Here's a pic of our Sturgy kit minus the pliers, gloves, rod/reels, and mosquito repellant obviously lol.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solle View Post
Haha thanks guys, yea I was tempted to give it a smooch . Can't remember the last time I was that excited about anything. Here's a pic of our Sturgy kit minus the pliers, gloves, rod/reels, and mosquito repellant obviously lol.
Nice kit, that leader is pretty expensive stuff. I use it for walleye but for sturgeon i get some western filament 54# nylon sturgeon leader. 50 yards and under 10 bucks. Just gotta change your knots and snells a bit. Also less chance of a sturgeon feeling it when picking up your bait.

And a tailors tape is good to get the girth measurement. Then you can use some online charts to get a rough weight.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:37 PM

What size of hooks are those? how much line u run from weight to hook?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 PM

We use size #1 and 2 octopus or circle hooks if we can find them. Any smaller and it's kinda hard getting those big worms piled on. And run 3 feet of leader from swivel and weight
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
We use size #1 and 2 octopus or circle hooks if we can find them. Any smaller and it's kinda hard getting those big worms piled on. And run 3 feet of leader from swivel and weight
Its really nice to see you using the low impact sturgeon rig. Hate seing guys using pickeral rigs targeting stugeon. Don't get me wrong I used them in the past before I was shown and now know better. Looks like your using a sliding weight rig. Are you one of the guys I showed this setup too at legends by any chance?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
102 this season and havent used more than a half worm and usually less for any of them
congrats on your first may it be the first of many!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-25-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
102 this season and havent used more than a half worm and usually less for any of them
congrats on your first may it be the first of many!
Holy crap @ your 102! Congrats there will definitely be more to come this season, and x2 for hating reeling in people's snagged pickerel rigs. I pulled someone one in the other night with someones dead rotting walleye attached to it but I too can admit to using them "attemting" to catch a big one, before I knew any better.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 PM

Congrats to both of you! That's a beauty!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 PM

Congrats!!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned

That's great!

Congrats.

Were you able to use the secret bait?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Awesome fish!!! Congratz!!! Is there a thread regarding the sturgeon rigging tips you have stated as I am seeking a great picture of holding one too, need to add that to my ever growing fish picture collection. Thanks so much!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:01 AM

Default Ooops

My bad for not reading entire posts on here, questions answered,,,,I guess its just a larger version of a Lindy rig
Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Congrats!!!

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 07-26-2013, 12:00 PM

Good one.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:29 AM

Made a few changes to the rigging, which include a wicked Pucci sliding sinkers, and 54# sturgeon nylon leader instead of fluorocarbon, and slightly larger circle hooks. Thanks for the tips and support we really appreciate all of the help.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:30 AM

Congrats!
Perty cute, that first pic of you and your fishy haha.

Curious, What is that sturg lotion? Never seen that before. I don't think I'd use it anyway. I too, find half a chunkie night crawler or dew worm does the job quite nicely.

Cheers
Old 07-27-2013, 11:48 AM

cant believe how all out some people go with there gear, I buy pickerel rigs, and cut the metel off, then I re make it with better swivels and better line, I have 5 sturgeon this week , When ever I use the sliding weight method I go months without catching one, I switch back to my home made rigs, and bam....

Btw I did see you out there, with your bait buttons, and your sturgeon glue,,.. I also seen all the garbage you guys left behind, my wife and I had cleaned it up for ya, ..... Try to keep that spot clean PLEASE, some people have children that come out with us! ty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-27-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
cant believe how all out some people go with there gear, I buy pickerel rigs, and cut the metel off, then I re make it with better swivels and better line, I have 5 sturgeon this week , When ever I use the sliding weight method I go months without catching one, I switch back to my home made rigs, and bam....

Btw I did see you out there, with your bait buttons, and your sturgeon glue,,.. I also seen all the garbage you guys left behind, my wife and I had cleaned it up for ya, ..... Try to keep that spot clean PLEASE, some people have children that come out with us! ty
Especially when there is garbage cans 5 feet away !

Old 07-27-2013, 12:30 PM

Tisk Tisk Tisk Tisk...... So your one of them people....... clean your crap up when you leave. Nothin ruins a good fishin story like leaving your garbage layin around for other people to clean up for you. Hope Karma bites you in the arse.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post

Nice of you to not only bash our rigs but accuse us of leaving garbage. Did u ever consider that the garbage was already there. I've been fishing the river for over 4 years almost daily during the season and know better than to leave Garbage behind. If you honestly think someone who goes through this much extent to catch a fish properly would leave behind trash, your wrong. Cya on the river and next time you actually see someone littering than say something to them, instead of accusing someone else on a message board. Both me and the miss' respect the river and the fish and entertainment it provides. We even bring a lululemon bag for our pop cans and garbage to bring out with us when we leave.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Nice of you to not only bash our rigs but accuse us of leaving garbage. Did u ever consider that the garbage was already there. I've been fishing the river for over 4 years almost daily during the season and know better than to leave Garbage behind. If you honestly think someone who goes through this much extent to catch a fish properly would leave behind trash, your wrong. Cya on the river and next time you actually see someone littering than say something to them, instead of accusing someone else on a message board. Both me and the miss' respect the river and the fish and entertainment it provides. We even bring a lululemon bag for our pop cans and garbage to bring out with us when we leave.
Them damn keyboard warriors eh! Lol

Congrats again on your catch! I'm jealous.... No dinosaurs up north.

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 07-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Bash your rigs???? The garbage was there and you just left it then ???

??

Old 07-27-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Tisk Tisk Tisk Tisk...... So your one of them people....... clean your crap up when you leave. Nothin ruins a good fishin story like leaving your garbage layin around for other people to clean up for you. Hope Karma bites you in the arse.

I agree man, first thing I do while im there is clean up garbage, especially worm cases and Bait buttons on the ground, My wife was disgusted, she said " such a beautiful place and people are too ignorant to pick up there garbage" ....... I fish that hole 3 -4 times a week, I take good care of it and its gross to see people walk over garbage whenthe can its 2 feet away ! Shame on them, Maybe that's why i catch lots of fish, Fish gods giving back !

Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Angler View Post
Them damn keyboard warriors eh! Lol

Congrats again on your catch! I'm jealous.... No dinosaurs up north.
lol, I would have told him to his face too, clean your **** up, its not hard, and if it was just there when he got there, then ok, I guess just sit there and fish in the garbage? its not rocket science, especially when you have kids running around !

Tags
fishing, sturg, sturgeon