Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2017, 03:39 PM

Default Decking

I will be doing my deck this spring or summer and just thought I'd ask people about their knowledge on alternative decking materials. I'm looking at Composite or PVC , maybe Vinyl. I want something that will last 20 + years and low maintenance.
I've done a lot of reviews online and there's so many different up and downs to each. Just like to hear from people in Alberta as climate has alot to do with the performance or longevity of the products. Brands, price and quality.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:47 PM

When I did my deck, composite came out around 3x the price of wood. That buys a lot of stain.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:04 PM

I rebuilt my deck in 2013 with trex, 20' length was about $100. Excellent material, and very pleased with the outcome and durability so far. It's a life time guarantee, so about 25+ years. Yes it's expensive, but if your comparing it to spending the difference on stain, you've spent the same money, and still have rotted crap. Easy to work with, but very heavy also. Cuts with standard cut off/mitre saw with 40T blade.
There are similar materials to Trex out now, and somewhat less expensive.
The only down side to this type of deck, is unable to keep anything dry below it if storage was ever considered.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:08 PM

All of our decking is Composite. Yes it costs more, but no prepping or staining, and no having to replace rotten boards. Also no slivers if you walk barefoot on the deck.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 PM

I went with the Home Depot brand of composite, was very fortunate to pick it up on a discount as the custom order from the previous summer was never picked up. They let me bastardize the order to suit the needs of my smaller deck plan and I only needed to buy a few pieces at full price.

It's held up really well over the last few years, I would go hat route again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:31 PM

Default Good stuff

I heard Mixedreviews on Trex. I just recently heard about DuxxBsk. Not sure the quality.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 AM

Composite is the best but as others have said, at least 3X more for cost. I went with pressure treat , stain every couple years, big deal 1 gallon and a few hrs for a deck that is 12 x 28 ft.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 AM

Default Composite

After decades of wooden decks I went composite and love it. Never staining that stuff again! The Timbertown stuff got good reviews and was pretty easy to install. I liked how it clipped in so no visible screws. Kids love running around on it in bare feet, major improvement and it should outlast me. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:05 PM

Hey, I like composite but I don't like the cost. As for pressure treated wood, I can't ever be convinced to stain it. I like it in it's original green or brown but never stained. The treatment it comes with is good enough for me. Never use solid colour stain..............you'll be sorry
Old 02-25-2017, 01:44 PM

Pressure treated wood is not super-expensive and will last at least 20 years in Alberta. I like the original green color, but it quickly bleaches out. Also comes in brown. Can be easily recoated every couple years with a cheap airless sprayer. The 5/4X6 decking boards make a nice smooth surface. Best value for $, I think.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:28 PM

There is something about wood. I don't think I could ever use composite wood. Doesn't feel right under foot.
I second what CNP said about solid stains. I don't know how they are called stain. If it can peel I'll never use it.
I know its the pigment that is suppose too protect the wood. Tell that to the old grain bins that scatter this province.
Brad