Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Getting closer to turkey time

Never hunted these in AB and I won't be for a while yet. So I'm going out of province to fill my fantasy this season. Now, I'm all up to speed on the tactics but I'm going to be using a 20 gauge for this hunt and after some research on 20 gauges for turkey I'm feeling more confident than I was initially. I know that 10 gauges are used and 12's are the norm........but I'm sticking with my plan to use the 20. Installing a Primos Jelly Head Maximum Turkey Choke. All I need to do now is narrow down the ammo. I've seen some amazing reviews for Federal 20 Gauge Heavyweight Turkey Loads in #7 shot! Yes #7 shot! A Chuck Hawkes review graphs a #5 lead shot and the Federal Heavyweight #7 with the #7 outperforming #5 in velocity and penetration at all ranges.

Quote:
It all comes together with this load, some 180 pellets in an 8-1/2 x 11 inch turkey target with a Trulock EF Precison Hunter choke tube at 40 yards, with not just the penetration of #5 lead, but better penetration. It is an amazing shell.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/federal_20...urkey_load.htm
http://www.randywakeman.com/Federal2...TurkeyLoad.htm

Do you use these shells? If so what is your experience? Any other shells I should be considering?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Never hunted these in AB and I won't be for a while yet. So I'm going out of province to fill my fantasy this season. Now, I'm all up to speed on the tactics but I'm going to be using a 20 gauge for this hunt and after some research on 20 gauges for turkey I'm feeling more confident than I was initially. I know that 10 gauges are used and 12's are the norm........but I'm sticking with my plan to use the 20. Installing a Primos Jelly Head Maximum Turkey Choke. All I need to do now is narrow down the ammo. I've seen some amazing reviews for Federal 20 Gauge Heavyweight Turkey Loads in #7 shot! Yes #7 shot! A Chuck Hawkes review graphs a #5 lead shot and the Federal Heavyweight #7 with the #7 outperforming #5 in velocity and penetration at all ranges.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/federal_20...urkey_load.htm
http://www.randywakeman.com/Federal2...TurkeyLoad.htm

Do you use these shells? If so what is your experience? Any other shells I should be considering?
Wont matter what chuckhawks recommends if your gun wont pattern the shot in the kill zone
You will need to try each out and see which pattern is the best ..good luck ...ive never used an actual turkey load to kill a turk
Old 02-22-2017, 05:46 PM

I would think that they could be awesome, however they better be close, like 25 yards and under and i wouldnt sit around bragging after the shot. Id be running over to put my boot on his neck
Toms can be tough and dont always roll over on command. Just my 2 cents
Old 02-22-2017, 06:20 PM

Definitely patern it first to be sure. I've had good results with #4 lead and steel BB, I'd be weary of #7 but I'm sure it could be done with the right choke and range.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 PM

When I got into turkey hunting I tried a few different brands and shot sizes, I got the best results from Federal Premium Turkey loads #5 shot with the fight control wad. It is devastating to 40yds and would still be effective at 50yds if everything went right. 60yds would be really pushing it and could very well end up with a lost wounded bird. It's killed 5 birds for me, this past spring I got my bird with my 17HMR.
Be warned though that turkey hunting is addictive, by far and away my favourite thing to do in the spring.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:43 AM

Default Federal 20 Gauge Heavyweight Turkey Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koschenk View Post
Definitely patern it first to be sure. I've had good results with #4 lead and steel BB, I'd be weary of #7 but I'm sure it could be done with the right choke and range.
I would normally be leery about #7 too. In fact I would have never considered it. But having come across the link, I'm just too curious to not to try it........look at the data in the link. #7 is faster and penetrates further than #5..............with way more pellets.

I'm certainly going to buy some, pattern it, and go from there....

gobble gobble
Old 02-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Finding 20 gauge turkey loads in Canada is not so easy, and probably not cheap. Not matter the shell you'll probably want to stick under 25 yards. You might be able to find blended stuff that has 5 6 and 7 shot. You will read stuff online about patterns and no of pellets in a 10 or 12" circle at 30 and 40 yards those are the standards, but each shotgun, choke and shell combination will give you different results so that really has be taken as a starting point. You may have to look further than what you read to find something that shoots as good as it should.

I shot Hevi 13 in 3" #5 or 6 for years but then they became expensive and almost impossible to find north of the border. I currently shoot Winchester Double X no. 5 or 6 out of a Pattermaster code black turkey and it does pretty good, but that is with a 12 gauge.

On a side note, lately Canadian tire has been slow updating their prices on turkey shells I guess they don't move many in Alberta (shocker right..?..). Their Winchester stuff is 5 to 7$ cheaper a box in some shot sizes and I picked up a box of Federal no 6. last week marked down from 28.99$ for 10$.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:38 AM

Default Best Turkey Loads

It is very true that there is very little to choose from when seeking out specialty turkey loads in Western Canada. I have hunted these fine birds for 19 years now and has become virtually impossible to find 2-3/4 inch turkey loads to use in my Remington model 870 - 12 guage (full choke). This shotgun proved very effective with Kent turkey loads until 5 years ago when they were no longer available in Calgary. I now have a specialty turkey gun that accepts 3 or 3-1/2 inch shells. I prefer 3 inch #5 shot for my hunting.

Last spring, I made my first trip to Ontario to turkey hunt and was delighted to see the wide variety of turkey loads (for all guages), as well as many choices of turkey targets (and decoys), which also have become scarce in Alberta the last several years. I brought back my legal limit of turkey shells (mostly 2-3/4 inch) and several packages of paper targets which will last me at least the next 8-10 years. If you could find someone traveling to Alberta from Ontario and they would be willing to bring these back for you, I'm sure you could get anything that you wanted for your 20 guage. But, the most important thing for you to do is to pattern your preferred gun with several loads as guns shoot differently.
In order to place a killing shot, you need to have a minimum of 8-10 pellets in the kill zone (ie the head and/or the spine in the neck area). Anything less would be a marginal pattern and I would argue, bordering on an unethical shot. I have never heard of anyone - ever, recovering a wounded turkey so a wounded turkey is very likely, a wasted turkey.
I am surprised that 7-1/2 shot would pattern better than 5s and I agree with the other responses that you should keep your range to 25 yards or less if using this shot size. Number 6 shot is actually very popular for turkeys but I feel everybody needs to determine what works best in their gun at the maximum range that you would consider attempting a shot.
One other thing, you would probably obtain some valuable information by joining the Ontario Outdoors blog as they have a separate Wild Turkey section which is very busy starting now until the end of May. You will most certainly get others' opinions based on their experience. Enjoy your hunt!
GOBBLER FANATIC