Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-18-2017, 09:51 AM

Default Any tips for a first time hunter

Hey guys,

Just want ask if anyone has any tips for the do's and don't's for hunting.
This may be a repeat thread however the rifle I would like to hunt with is Mosin Nagant 91/30 with iron sights.
White tail deer
location: west of Black diamond or Waiparous area, where hunting is legal.

I have searched youtube for local videos with the Mosin Nagant there isn't many, there's more video's of Mosin Nagant hunting in the USA but not much.

Again, same question this time tips for hunting rufted Grouse with Henry .22 magnum lever action with iron sights.

I am looking to get out and hopefully hunt first the grouse this fall but still looking to learning as much as I can in regards to hunting white tail.

Cheers,

Viking Caliber
Old 02-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Have you passed your hunter education course? Read all of the regulations, and then read them again, and be sure that you understand all of them. Nothing will ruin a hunt more than being charged for a violation, and the officers don't usually accept ignorance of the regulations as an excuse. Obtain a landowners map for the area, so that you don't accidentally trespass.
Then go out and enjoy spending time in the field learning more about the game that you are hunting.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:43 AM

If you plan on going to the waiporous area, I'd recommended staying out of the major OHV hotspots as there might be lots of others around. Also I'd get a mule general tag as there are a few of them in there as well
Old 02-18-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
If you plan on going to the waiporous area, I'd recommended staying out of the major OHV hotspots as there might be lots of others around. Also I'd get a mule general tag as there are a few of them in there as well
This is where new guys get all turned around.
It's called a Resident Mule Deer Licence.
It's not a general tag, or licence

It's covered under a general season.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 AM

YUP
Don't BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU HEAR
AND ONLY 1/4 OF what YOU SEE
And 1/2 OF WHAT YOU READ
If its ON THE INTERNET IT NOT Necessarily RIGHT OR TRUE
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 02-18-2017, 11:16 AM

How ever much time you spend in the bush spend double that at the range. Make sure you have a way of not getting lost. If your new to hunting be open minded. Some guys here have great ideas and you wpuld be wise to listen. Find someone to help you out and show youu whats up.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:56 AM

Default any tips for a first time hunter?

To answer your question Elkhunter, nope not yet. I am aware of what is needed in order to hunt legally in Alberta.
If I am not able to hunt this year for any reason, its no big deal theres always next year. My goal is to learn as much as I can before I set out. I am not out just for the hunting part of it. Its the nature and just being in nature. Who knows when I decide to pull that trigger.

Since it's probably just me that will eat majority of the deer, my wife and son not so much. White tail is pretty much all I will take. I would do a mule deer
however I don't want to waste the meat, meaning it may be to much meat for me.
As for a partner with hunting, I am more than WILLING to be a pack mule for the exchange of the experience. I am not afraid of working for learning side it. so if your looking to save your back, I will pack it for you in exchange for learning how to hunt, butcher and skin the deer
I spend as much as I can out at the range as my funds can allow it.

cheers,
Viking Caliber

Last edited by Viking Caliber; 02-18-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-18-2017, 12:06 PM

Default any tips-- first time hunter

Thanks for the great tips!
please keep them coming
Old 02-18-2017, 12:29 PM

Know your limits of your skill and weapon and respect the animal by reserving your shots to within those limits. Also learn that sending your shot is a very small part of the experience. Having the equipment and plans to get your meat out is the most important part. If your meat spoils due to taking an animal when conditions arent right for getting the meat out then the animal is disrespected.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:08 PM

Default Try some coyotes,

Buck fever spoiled my first two years of deer season, I was too shaky to take a shot, I didn't get a deer until I was 16...(surprised that I can remember that far back) but I ended up getting a lever action Winchester 22mag, I shot a few dozen coyotes with that, and when deer season came around again I was ready, but the first coyote I called in, took me about 5 minutes or so to settle down enough to make a good shot, but it paid off, when I finally took the shot he dropped in his tracks, I like coyotes for real life practice, because they are easy to find and easier to kill, you can practise proper shot placement, and don't be afraid to let him go if you don't get a clear shot, there's always another one around the next willow patch who is looking for a free rabbit dinner. (But they tend to get a little confused when they charge right to the dying rabbit only to find a gun waiting to greet them)
Old 02-18-2017, 02:02 PM

I always suggest getting a 22lr and practicing with that lots. Its a cheap way to get lots of trigger time. You can get a old cooey for 150 or so and a single shot is great for a trainer. Dry fire your center fire rifle to create good habits.
Im not in your area but I'm sure there is someone local who can help you out

Brad
Old 02-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Too bad you live so far south.

You could come along on some of my hunts, but that's too far to drive for a day hunt.

If you could find someone too tag along with, that's the best way to learn about hunting techniques. Not necessarily the best way to learn about hunting laws and what's safe and acceptable though.

Some guys are great examples, others, not so much.

I learned from my dad, he really knew how and when to hunt but didn't pay much attention to what was legal. He seemed to think that since he started hunting before many of the conservation laws came into being, he didn't need to comply with them.

He learned to hunt when game was plentiful, conservation law was none existence and the human population was a fraction of what it is today.

I was fortunate, I had other example who did teach me to follow the law.

Although learning from others can lead to some bad habits, it can also save you thousands of hours of learning by trial and error.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-18-2017, 06:13 PM

I did not read all the replies, apologies if repeating others advice.
Leave exact details of where you are going and return time with someone you trust to check up on you. Leave a Lat/Long, drop a pin on google maps etc. Purchase a device like a "SPOT" locator or similar device. They work! I have seen the end results of successful rescues based on Spot/PLBs.
Carry a survival kit in your pack and never separate yourself from that pack i.e.;Do not lay it down to track an animal etc.
Good luck with your hunting endeavours!
Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 PM

Myself not being an Alberta resident, I'm not up to date on the reg's, but in most provinces it's illegal to shoot grouse with a .22 magnum. As to hunting deer with your Mosin, I'd say giver.
Do lots of target shooting, get good at it.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Myself not being an Alberta resident, I'm not up to date on the reg's, but in most provinces it's illegal to shoot grouse with a .22 magnum. As to hunting deer with your Mosin, I'd say giver.
Do lots of target shooting, get good at it.
Shoot em with whatever you want here! Sometimes we shoot the heads off them with our centrefires!
Old 02-19-2017, 07:09 AM

Default first timer

Always make a plan and let someone know what your up to!Take your time and enjoy cuz after pulling the trigger is when the work starts
Old 02-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Banned

Find a mentor, or even a couple, im in your neck of the woods and you can tag along with me when time allows. Watch for the draw deadlines and start building your priorities immediately. There are draws you can get with 0 priority, like last season sufield cow elk ( its a tough hunt if you go into the nwa ) watch a few you tubes on gutting in case your by yourself, its easy once you figure out what holds them in. Get a good knife and a little bone saw to split the brisket and pelvic bone. Research the "gutless method" as well. Its good to start looking for farmers that will give you access to hunt as well. Good relationships with those guys pays in dividends. Maybe help them during branding or crop time. Develope good techniques for meat care and if your planning on shooting deer then im sure you will want to learn how to make sausage as well (best way to get your wife and kids to eat wild meat) there's just so much to talk about lol
Old 02-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Default any tips --first time hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Find a mentor, or even a couple, im in your neck of the woods and you can tag along with me when time allows. Watch for the draw deadlines and start building your priorities immediately. There are draws you can get with 0 priority, like last season sufield cow elk ( its a tough hunt if you go into the nwa ) watch a few you tubes on gutting in case your by yourself, its easy once you figure out what holds them in. Get a good knife and a little bone saw to split the brisket and pelvic bone. Research the "gutless method" as well. Its good to start looking for farmers that will give you access to hunt as well. Good relationships with those guys pays in dividends. Maybe help them during branding or crop time. Develope good techniques for meat care and if your planning on shooting deer then im sure you will want to learn how to make sausage as well (best way to get your wife and kids to eat wild meat) there's just so much to talk about lol

Thanks!! That would be greatly apprieciated!! just let me know when and I will be ready, if you are still willing to have me to tag along. I am willing to learn and to work for it. My goal is to learn everything I can so I don't disrespect the animal.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Buck fever spoiled my first two years of deer season, I was too shaky to take a shot, I didn't get a deer until I was 16...(surprised that I can remember that far back) but I ended up getting a lever action Winchester 22mag, I shot a few dozen coyotes with that, and when deer season came around again I was ready, but the first coyote I called in, took me about 5 minutes or so to settle down enough to make a good shot, but it paid off, when I finally took the shot he dropped in his tracks, I like coyotes for real life practice, because they are easy to find and easier to kill, you can practise proper shot placement, and don't be afraid to let him go if you don't get a clear shot, there's always another one around the next willow patch who is looking for a free rabbit dinner. (But they tend to get a little confused when they charge right to the dying rabbit only to find a gun waiting to greet them)
I wouldn't exactly call coyotes easy to find or kill. My family has land by rocky, which I hunt regularly but not overly IMO. Have taken 6 since end of November. I've also been skunked about 20 times, not seeing a thing. Also shot one dead. Laid there until his last breath from a 223, held off on a follow up shot because I thought he was done. Heard others near by barking and yapping so I went to take a look. When I came back the dead one disappeared like magic. Never did find him. I'm sure he's dead but they are pretty smart, and tough. Another time, I shot one from 300 yards or so. Didn't get a reaction so sat a little longer. Went to take a look about a half hour later just to see, and sure enough, huge spray of blood and chunks of innards. Walked a little into the bush and he's sitting there panting with his stomach dragging on the ground. He actually ran away with his whole stomach and intestines dragging behind him. Crazy tough animal.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:30 PM

I'm about half way through the book the complete guide to hunting, butchering, and cooking wild game by Steve rinella. He the guy from meat eater. So far it's really good and covers a lot of topics. Definitely worth getting. I'm sure there's dozens of other great hunting books as well.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lites out View Post
Always make a plan and let someone know what your up to!Take your time and enjoy cuz after pulling the trigger is when the work starts
Definitely a great book! You can check the Calgary library, so you can spend your money on other hunting things. I think they have a few copies.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Take all the requires courses to be legal in the woods, adhere to the regs, read them don't have someone spew on what they think is correct.
Now get your but out into an intended area to hunt and recce it out...it does the soul good.

Oh yeah if you hunt a lot by yourself check out the boneless method. Took me two hours start to finish on a bull moose, usually 30 minutes for a deer...great easy technique.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Caliber View Post
Hey guys,

Just want ask if anyone has any tips for the do's and don't's for hunting.
This may be a repeat thread however the rifle I would like to hunt with is Mosin Nagant 91/30 with iron sights.
White tail deer
location: west of Black diamond or Waiparous area, where hunting is legal.

I have searched youtube for local videos with the Mosin Nagant there isn't many, there's more video's of Mosin Nagant hunting in the USA but not much.

Again, same question this time tips for hunting rufted Grouse with Henry .22 magnum lever action with iron sights.

I am looking to get out and hopefully hunt first the grouse this fall but still looking to learning as much as I can in regards to hunting white tail

Cheers,

Viking Caliber
Patience is key, study the animals you are planning to hunt, learn habits, feed source, bedding areas, know your own limits, hunting is trial and error lots of the time So learn from your mistakes.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
I'm about half way through the book the complete guide to hunting, butchering, and cooking wild game by Steve rinella. He the guy from meat eater. So far it's really good and covers a lot of topics. Definitely worth getting. I'm sure there's dozens of other great hunting books as well.
Haven't read that one, thanks for the recommendation! I'll put it on my reading list for the summer after my exams are over . Have dressed a few deer and moose the last couple of years with the help of my hunting partners, but haven't made sausage or deer jerky myself yet. Definitely want to start getting into that as well.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:59 PM

A lot really is learn as you go.

One of the most important things, already mentioned, is know where you want to go, and then where you CAN go.

Read your regs, review the zones, and see where you can access - is it public land? Draw only? General zone, but all private? Ignorance is no excuse for trespassing.

Secondly, once you know where to go - get out there and look around. A lot. Spend time there over the summer. Take the kids or the dog, etc. It is extremely hard to have success in your first couple years if you aren't familiar with the place.

Find game trails and where they go, then find some more. If you show up and someone is there already, you don't want your hunt to end before it begins. Trail cameras are a lot of fun if you can hide them well enough to not get stolen.

Great deer hunting west of black diamond/Turner valley, but before long you get into wmu 406 which is draw only. I recommend applying for draws there this year as whitetail are all over the place. However, with the popularity there these days you probably won't pull a tag in your first year.

So know your regs and your zones, and have fun
Old 02-22-2017, 06:26 PM

Walk slower. And when you think you're walking too slow, go slower.