Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:16 AM
Banned

Default Chrystia Freeland ready to battle Trump on Trade

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/free...sday-1.3972686
Quote:
Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland told reporters Wednesday that if negotiations restart on the North American Free Trade Agreement, Donald Trump's administration won't be the only player at the table looking for a better deal.

When asked what Canada might be looking to gain if NAFTA is reopened, as the new U.S. administration has vowed to do in order to get a "better deal" for American workers, Freeland put her game face on.

"It's good to be good at playing defence, but the best defence is a strong offence," she said. "And Canada definitely will be and is good at taking strong offensive positions."
For those that missed Freeland's strong "offence" tactics when she was dealing on a free trade deal with Europe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS5r2u61xKw

Look out Trump!! You have met your match I'm afraid. Check and mate!

Last edited by rugatika; 02-09-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:34 AM
Banned

Default yup --- once his advisors get 'ahandle on her

marxist economic views / opinions - it ain't gonna sit well with Trump ...

-- it ain't gonna sit well.

TBD

PS ... might be a gd call to cash out the rest of your market holdings
Old 02-09-2017, 08:17 AM

I would laugh, but its like feeding a Chihuahua to a Pitbull.

I guess it's sort of funny, maybe as a cartoon. This situation won't be funny as its completely real and will affect all of our kids futures.

Trulander should hire Harper to go deal with Trump. Or - be like Trump and put together a team of guys with top level management experience and send them there. Just as long as those guys are not from Bombadeer or Air Canada.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:19 AM

Trump will send in a second level negotiator. Trump bullies his way to economic success. He does not respect crybabies. Buy myself a pallet of Popcorn.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 AM

Oh well, no big deal if Trump wants 30% on Canadian oil. Producers should feel privileged to be supporting him.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote;
"This situation won't be funny as its completely real and will affect all of our kids futures."
Look on the bright side, it will be kinda funny to watch all the Trump supporters lose their toys ...........
Old 02-09-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Quote;
"This situation won't be funny as its completely real and will affect all of our kids futures."
Look on the bright side, it will be kinda funny to watch all the Trump supporters lose their toys ...........
How would that be funny?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
marxist economic views / opinions - it ain't gonna sit well with Trump ...

-- it ain't gonna sit well.

TBD

PS ... might be a gd call to cash out the rest of your market holdings
Her support for the fascist/nazis in the Ukraine will not sit well with Putin and, for that matter, his little buddy Donny.

She's already been banned from Russia - and it ain't for any Marxist economic views and opinions.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Oh well, no big deal if Trump wants 30% on Canadian oil. Producers should feel privileged to be supporting him.
Paying 30% to ship it through a pipeline might still be less than paying Warren Buffet's trains to haul it. I know that is not a cheap way to transport, but can't come up with any numbers on it right now. Anybody able to find a comparison on Trump's 30% tax VS shipping by rail costs?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
How would that be funny?
Irony is always funny.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Paying 30% to ship it through a pipeline might still be less than paying Warren Buffet's trains to haul it. I know that is not a cheap way to transport, but can't come up with any numbers on it right now. Anybody able to find a comparison on Trump's 30% tax VS shipping by rail costs?
At least you are using logic for your argument.
A close friend owned a SAGD operation and was successfully shipping by rail down south. While he could cover the extra costs when oil was higher, it just wasn't viable when it dropped. If there is a BAT imposed, Canadian oil will be competing against untaxed US oil and will lose market share very quickly.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Irony is always funny.
How would that be irony?

I don't think myself or any other Trump supporter on the forum was under the impression that Trump's election was going to be strictly positive for Canadians.

Simply - he looks out for his own. That's something I can understand.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Her support for the fascist/nazis in the Ukraine will not sit well with Putin and, for that matter, his little buddy Donny.

She's already been banned from Russia - and it ain't for any Marxist economic views and opinions.
She's got a lot of guts opposing Putin like she did. Historically those that voice an opposition to him don't last too long.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8tJzsFEq8M
http://news.sky.com/story/wife-of-vl...oning-10760775
Old 02-09-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
How would that be irony?

I don't think myself or any other Trump supporter on the forum was under the impression that Trump's election was going to be strictly positive for Canadians.

Simply - he looks out for his own. That's something I can understand.
If you admire a guy that backs out of a 2-3 decade long business agreement that involves hundreds of thousands of people without really knowing what the hell he's doing........enjoy the ride
Old 02-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
At least you are using logic for your argument.
A close friend owned a SAGD operation and was successfully shipping by rail down south. While he could cover the extra costs when oil was higher, it just wasn't viable when it dropped. If there is a BAT imposed, Canadian oil will be competing against untaxed US oil and will lose market share very quickly.
If the US tries to impose a tax on Canadian crude, I'm pretty sure the discount they have enjoyed for many years will quickly disappear
Old 02-09-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I would laugh, but its like feeding a Chihuahua to a Pitbull.

I guess it's sort of funny, maybe as a cartoon. This situation won't be funny as its completely real and will affect all of our kids futures.

Trulander should hire Harper to go deal with Trump. Or - be like Trump and put together a team of guys with top level management experience and send them there. Just as long as those guys are not from Bombadeer or Air Canada.
I think you're giving Christina too much credit... More like a lame Chihuahua against a grizzly bear ticked off about the yapping...
Old 02-09-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
She's got a lot of guts opposing Putin like she did. Historically those that voice an opposition to him don't last too long.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8tJzsFEq8M
http://news.sky.com/story/wife-of-vl...oning-10760775
I'm not sure, you might be mixing up bravery and stupidity...
Old 02-09-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
If the US tries to impose a tax on Canadian crude, I'm pretty sure the discount they have enjoyed for many years will quickly disappear
Why ????
Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
If you admire a guy that backs out of a 2-3 decade long business agreement that involves hundreds of thousands of people without really knowing what the hell he's doing........enjoy the ride
I respect a guy who says that he is going to do something great, then goes out and does it.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I respect a guy who says that he is going to do something great, then goes out and does it.
Maybe that's why he's been in court and bankrupt so many times.......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shyster
Old 02-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Maybe that's why he's been in court and bankrupt so many times.......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shyster
Your hatred of Trump is over shadowing the conversation.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Quote from Oil Sands Magazine;
"Another example is Western Canadian Select versus Mayan crude produced in Mexico. Both are identical in quality. The price difference ($10/bbl) reflects the added transportation costs of getting Canadian crude to refineries in Houston. The price discount is therefore reflective of transportation costs and not so much a function of quality."
So in effect the cost of an added tax would just make the discount bigger.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Your hatred of Trump is over shadowing the conversation.
It's true that I dislike the man. Mostly because he's crude and classless, but the fact of the matter is that he's going to screw up a lot of things that he knows nothing about. He has a lot of knee jerk supporters that admire the hell out of him and will be gob smacked when one of his pet projects affects them earning a livelihood?
Isn't that what the conversation is about????
Old 02-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
It's true that I dislike the man. Mostly because he's crude and classless, but the fact of the matter is that he's going to screw up a lot of things that he knows nothing about. He has a lot of knee jerk supporters that admire the hell out of him and will be gob smacked when one of his pet projects affects them earning a livelihood?
Isn't that what the conversation is about????
Small correction, you stated "fact of the matter" then expressed an unsubstantiated opinion. Isn't that a fallacy? Maybe even a double with your use of tense? You attempted to win the argument by stating that Trump (in the future) screwing up big time was a fact.

You seem very sure he is going to be a train wreck on very specific issues. So you must know a lot about these issues because you state quite definitively his actions are going to -screw it up-.

Care to share what topic you are specifically knowledgeable about and what he is going to screw up about it?
Old 02-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Small correction, you stated "fact of the matter" then expressed an unsubstantiated opinion. Isn't that a fallacy? Maybe even a double with your use of tense? You attempted to win the argument by stating that Trump (in the future) screwing up big time was a fact.

You seem very sure he is going to be a train wreck on very specific issues. So you must know a lot about these issues because you state quite definitively his actions are going to -screw it up-.

Care to share what topic you are specifically knowledgeable about and what he is going to screw up about it?
Somebody is using their first year courses..........
Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Somebody is using their first year courses..........
It's cool if you can't answer the question, I understand.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
It's cool if you can't answer the question, I understand.
How about TPP and NAFTA for starters. They are both reasonably large deals.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Banned

Default yes - she's a beaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post

isn't she ?

TBD

PS ... all four feet of her
Old 02-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Banned

Default i think you're getting a little ahead of 'urself here

Quote:
trump is not to worried about Canada's side of NAFTA since we are basically at a trade equivalent.

plus - if he tries to muck with it we have the WTO and justins legal buddies will have to defend our position. We've won most of these challenges in the past on soft woods ect ect

TBD

PS ... Canada's west should be good, as we're considered part of their (the USA's) energy security plan to be independent of MID-east oil

... however trade with ON'terrible / K-bec --- that's a different animal; as Trump's already shown is dislike for currency manipulating countries that take advantage of their exchange rates - maybe the days of the liberals running a 60 cent dollar to appease their union buddies is OVER ...

I wouldn't mind -- it'd be a good thing for helping us farmers with the soaring equipment costs !

heck any industry importing would luv to see the return of a 90 cent dollar.

Last edited by TBD; 02-09-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Who say's we will get the bad deal? Maybe it will be better for both countries?

All though I don't have much faith in the Liberals negotiating a new deal I will wait and see.

As for Keystone, it is a Canada problem. We should have had pipelines to tide water years ago. Relying on one customer is no ones fault except Canada. Maybe the 30% you talk about will help get our government moving on our own pipelines? Either way it is up to Canada to look out for it's own interests.
Closed Thread