Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-15-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintailslammer View Post
Wow and my large coyotes I shot and nice large with really white bellies only brought me $30 un-skinned...Time to find a new buyer

Pin
Got to realize a lot happens between a $30 unskinned dog and a $100 skinned one .
Old 02-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Wow and my large coyotes I shot and nice large with really white bellies only brought me $30 un-skinned...Time to find a new buyer

Pin
you have to understand that your hunting and shooting them and that's where the fun stops I guess cause then you gotta skin,flesh,sew and wash then board and flip and brush and comb to get them to their best and if maybe double your money if lucky,you won't realize 400 US on shot yote's,it takes some awesome dogs and there were only 10.clear bellies are important but over all condition and primeness of pelt all have to be inline as well,get new buyer but you won't realize a whole lot more money,cheers Peter
Old 02-15-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Got to realize a lot happens between a $30 unskinned dog and a $100 skinned one .
You nailed it H380.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:54 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

Pin

Don't be a sillyhead, just skin them yourself.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 PM
AO Sponsor

2.5 minutes to skin, 3 minute fleshing job even with a beam, 2 minut pail wash, and 1 minute sew job.

Easy

As

Pie

... if your wife cooks pies.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAShooter View Post
Anyone else notice drumming is now $1.50/coyote?? Probably a carbon tax...
Yup, drumming went up. It just showed in my account that I got charged $44.50 for 29 coyotes. That's $1.534 each. Last September I was charged $1.00 each.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
2.5 minutes to skin, 3 minute fleshing job even with a beam, 2 minut pail wash, and 1 minute sew job.

Easy

As

Pie

For an extra $70+ thats a pretty good hourly wage .
Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Easy

As

Pie

Takes the average guy a whole lot longer. From a whole coyote to finished product it probably takes me 45 minutes to an hour. Especially with those stubborn ones. Then add sewing in for the shot ones.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

Default reality

Quote:

Easy

As

Pie

if you are joking haha, if not, to say those timelines are horribly unrealistic, would be the understatement of century!!!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olthreelegs View Post
if you are joking haha, if not, to say those timelines are horribly unrealistic, would be the understatement of century!!!
Hes not joking.

I couldnt do it. But guys who do 100s every year, yes.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:59 PM

yup I am one of those shooters/trappers that never gets enough practice in the season so I am an hour easy skinning and fleshing usually cold wash overnight and sew /board the next morning. I have had several of the more experienced trappers tell me I should be able to do one in 5 minutes but it has been 20 odd years and I am still nowhere close to those times. Think in the one year we did 50 I might have gotten the skinning part down to 20 minutes each.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Yup , I watched our last skinner do 5 yotes from hanging first one to dropping last one in 25 minutes on the skinning part . Fleshing didn't take much longer, then again he did over 300 that year.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yup , I watched our last skinner do 5 yotes from hanging first one to dropping last one in 25 minutes on the skinning part . Fleshing didn't take much longer, then again he did over 300 that year.

I cant do um that fast but im not in a race either ..if they only had back legs it would be much faster sometimes them big ol males do not want to get neked
Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Easy

As

Pie

I'd say that I have 2 ratios....

5 minutes skinning...15 minutes fleshing.....30 minutes sewing....or

15 minutes skinning.....30 minutes fleshing.....5 minutes sewing

I have a lot of fun, but would don't like to talk about my hourly rate!

Old 02-16-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Wow, never did a yote, but did a lot of muskrats, best was 7min from hanging to fleshed and pinned to the board. Going out this weekend, if I shoot a yote I am going to skin it just to say I have done one. Not sure if I want to time it tho.....
WDF
Old 02-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Default not buying

Quote:

big difference between five minutes and 3.5. also fleshing a coyote in three minutes with a decent end product isnt realistic. No doubt some guys are fast but its the same as the guys in competition with skinning. yes the can do a coyote in 3 minutes or less on a fresh young coyote but they are not doing that on all coyotes.
you show me a guy that can consistently skin a coyote in 3.5 minutes and flesh in three minutes one after the other and ill show you the one legged non binary gender blender sasquatch i have living in my back yard
Old 02-18-2017, 09:03 PM

Dont know if you are calling me out or someone else ,I'm not claiming to have a 3 1/2 minute skinner.. I have one who is efficient and does a good job. My Ave shows it.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:45 PM
AO Sponsor

Ewwww... Ooooooohhhhh...!

I use a winch in my old age cuz it never gets tired or sore hands, winch is slow, 5 minutes a day all day long. But I can do it (3.5 min) manually and I've met lots of guys that could and were better and faster than me. Remember ole Coyoteskinner from Sask? That everybody (except me) hated. I bet he was telling the truth because he is a professional skinner in Sask and skins for Phil Patchin. I met many a Mennonite fellow at Beasley's fur shack who, when they started had never skinned an animal before and when they finished we're much faster than I was, consistently, all day long. I think the record skinned in a day was 120? And not by some youngin' but some old fart, but there are tricks to the trade... most certainly. So, way to go Albert T! It doesn't take long for an untrained person to catch on when they are taught and get volume practice.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:38 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olthreelegs View Post
...also fleshing a coyote in three minutes with a decent end product isnt realistic...
Have you ever considered the possibility that you don't have a clue on this topic? As in what can be done? I will agree with you tho in part, you probably could never flesh a coyote properly in 3 minutes, however, I can! (And I am very fussy.)

Perhaps you would consider that there are superior methods? Funny thing, I had a guy helping me put up fur a number of years ago, a greenhorn, and he figured the speed fleshing technique out. Mind you he was using superior equipment to what the average trapper uses, so he did have an advantage.I believe another guy on this forum, the one and only "Amazing Coy" uses similar technique.

I missed that one on the first go round. Sorry!

(... me soooooooo soooooorrrrryyy!)

And yes... then there was Dennis the Mennonite at Beasley's. Not sure if he was a Baer or a Kropf or a Miller, I think a Miller. He worked a whole winter alone because he wanted the $$$$$$$$$, wow, slick! I think he was the best skinner that I ever seen and would have left me in the dust. I'd never seen a man skin coyotes like him, before or after. Back in those years, Beasley bought thousands of coyotes. Have you ever seen a pile of 2000 coyotes before? I have and they sure weren't mine... I bet Dennis was much faster than Albert, but because he worked alone that winter, nobody bothered timing him or recorded his day's best.

I will admit tho, in my old age and severely damaged condition, I can't do things as fast as I used to. My hands/wrists are kinda wrecked. Belly sticks out... hair falling out, got all ugly in my old age...

Last edited by Marty S; 02-19-2017 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Banned

I will admit tho, in my old age and severely damaged condition, I can't do things as fast as I used to. My hands/wrists are kinda wrecked. Belly sticks out... hair falling out, got all ugly in my old age...

well at least we can agree on something!
Old 02-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Dont know if you are calling me out or someone else ,I'm not claiming to have a 3 1/2 minute skinner.. I have one who is efficient and does a good job. My Ave shows it.

not calling you out. referring to the times posted by the another poster.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:32 AM
AO Sponsor

I'm lazy too in my old age, I'm an old has been. It's nice to be between ages 18-30 if one aspires to put up fur at 100 mph, and like I eluded to, one must deploy custom skinning cheats to accomplish such things and keep up the pace. I don't anymore, there are easier and better ways, and in my broke-down condition, it's never a race anymore, not as fast but gets it done.

Anybody looking for a job skinning next winter? Let me know!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Banned

I've seen the end product of fast jobs of putting up coyotes and I can say that I'm not a fan of it. The first thing that I noticed is that the pelts sounded like cardboard when handled as opposed to a crisp wax paper like sound. I suppose that the job was done good enough if you are doing large quantities but a better job would bring more money at auction. Haste makes waste IMO.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:55 PM
AO Sponsor

Have you ever seen profession work that was done fast by experienced professionals that knew what they were doing?
Old 02-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I've seen the end product of fast jobs of putting up coyotes and I can say that I'm not a fan of it. The first thing that I noticed is that the pelts sounded like cardboard when handled as opposed to a crisp wax paper like sound. I suppose that the job was done good enough if you are doing large quantities but a better job would bring more money at auction. Haste makes waste IMO.
agreed
Old 02-19-2017, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have you ever seen profession work that was done fast by experienced professionals that knew what they were doing?
Yup, but I'm not going to do any name dropping. I got a few great tips for putting up coyotes but the fleshing done was not up to my standards, not even close. When someone takes 3 minutes to flesh a coyote, you end up with a pelt that looks and sounds like someone only spent 3 minutes fleshing it.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yup, but I'm not going to do any name dropping. I got a few great tips for putting up coyotes but the fleshing done was not up to my standards, not even close. When someone takes 3 minutes to flesh a coyote, you end up with a pelt that looks and sounds like someone only spent 3 minutes fleshing it.
Some folks are good , some are fast .. I know a couple guys that are posting here that are both .
Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Some folks are good , some are fast .. I know a couple guys that are posting here that are both .
Good is relative. What I witnessed from a very well known skinner was a lack of care in order to put out as many pelts, as quickly as possible. They were good but definitely not what I'd be proud of doing. For example, the cartilage was left in the ears contrary to the NAFA pelt handling manual. The face wasn't fleshed at all except for cutting the flesh off with a knife behind each eye. Membrane was left all over the hide. They weren't the best but they were good enough.

This is why I'll never custom skin. I wouldn't feel right about putting out a 3 minute fleshing job.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:08 PM
AO Sponsor

And I don't think that you should even attempt a 3 minute fleshing job because you don't know how to get it done properly in 3 minutes, probably not 5 minutes or more either. How long does it take you? Not all folks are custom skinning material perhaps? At least not all profitable custom skinning material without pillaging. Really custom skinning rates should be at $8-$10 for a complete job, but hard these days to find people willing at that level.

I agree with you, not all people do the same job, in fact I run into people on a regular basis that put in much, much time on their fleshing and put up, and the end result is quite horrible. But do know that my current three minute fleshing job would be extremely difficult to improve upon, I don't think it possible, but whatever, stay in your closed minded state. You've been at this a good four seasons already.

Last edited by Marty S; 02-19-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 PM

When I say good I'm referring to a skinner that consistently keeps skins in top 10 lots sold . No matter how good a fur is if it's put up wrong it results in a lower sale price . I'm sure there are many great hides that end up as only mediocre sellers because of poor handling. A good skinner doesn't have that problem