Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 08:06 PM

Default Goldrush- If they would only get rid of Hoffman

Such an arrogant bunch, and I can handle that because I do like the show, but that idiot Hoffman, I just can not stand him at all. Either it is completely scripted for the camera's or he is just a moron.
Lost everyone, people come back, and his brilliant question is 'what're you doin here?' He said that 3 times in the last 3 shows. I can guess what they are doing there, he can't? (scripted garbage)

I can blitz through the stupidity with the DVR, but too much time is spent on this idiot. Freddy Dodge must be getting a hell of a lot of money from Discovery Channel to have to work with him.

Anyone else still watching?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:22 PM

Just watched tonight. I also enjoy the show but Hoffman kind of makes it interesting sometimes. He has got the worst luck but the guy that makes me crazy is rick ness. That guy has to be the worst guy under pressure. Great show. It's something I would love to try one day
Old 02-07-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
Just watched tonight. I also enjoy the show but Hoffman kind of makes it interesting sometimes. He has got the worst luck but the guy that makes me crazy is rick ness. That guy has to be the worst guy under pressure. Great show. It's something I would love to try one day
they should just make the show about Tony Beets, he actually makes the show.

Everything is so staged with the Hoffman crew, And that Rick Ness, what's with that damn hat, he wants to be mr tough guy with the Justin Bieber look.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:27 PM

My friend's son works up there with the guys, and has sat in the bar with Parker, Tony, several of them. He says that Parker's arrogance is really tuned down in the tv show, it is much higher in real life. I would imagine he likely has to have bodyguards with him, lippy as he is. He says Tony is a hoot though lol.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:41 PM

Both Hoffmanns, junior and senior are a couple of retards. No question. I think tony beets is pretty good to watch.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:42 PM

The Hoffman's and the Alaska Bush People should join forces. Education in the highest degree. Not!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:43 PM

Maybe the fat guy will at least pay his debts from his last push in Colorado.
Sort of cheering for him, sort of not.

TBark
Old 02-07-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Such an arrogant bunch, and I can handle that because I do like the show, but that idiot Hoffman, I just can not stand him at all. Either it is completely scripted for the camera's or he is just a moron.
Lost everyone, people come back, and his brilliant question is 'what're you doin here?' He said that 3 times in the last 3 shows. I can guess what they are doing there, he can't? (scripted garbage)

I can blitz through the stupidity with the DVR, but too much time is spent on this idiot. Freddy Dodge must be getting a hell of a lot of money from Discovery Channel to have to work with him.

Goldrush was Todds concept he was the one that pitched the show so getting rid of him may not be that easy. Not that I think he adds anything for sure.

Mack
Old 02-07-2017, 09:45 PM

The most sickening thing is when Jack prays to the lord for them to find gold.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:39 PM

These guys have literally processed tens of thousands of yards of dirt. They see all the other miners process millions of yards of dirt, and skim off the ounces of gold within. What I don't understand is how they think they are going to throw a few yards in one day and ten million dollars will just end up in their sluice box.

They just have no concept of mining. The way they move dirt is scary to say the least. Their "operators" are laughable. Every time the Klondike gives Todd a decent season, he gets some hair-brained idea that he will try a new style of mining and get rich over night. If those possibilities existed, people much smarter than Todd would already have done it. Any mine Todd could lease is a mine that is not feasible. Otherwise the owners would be mining it themselves.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:39 PM

Buddy and I were saying the same thing when we were watching it tonight. Have to wonder how much money Discovery pumps into the Hoffman crew to keep it afloat.

Would definitely watch a show just about Tony though.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:

I still religiously watch the show. Its one of the few shows I like. Todd, I honestly think is on the show for comic relief alone. If all we watched was Tony run a dredge and Parker run a plant it would get boring. I have always enjoyed watching teenage Parker teach Todd how to mine. Its hilarious. As pompous as he may be, its great watching him continually beat Todd. I recognize a lot of equipment on the show, have even worked on some of it. I have seen other people on the show I know so its kinda special to me.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:14 AM

Ya I still watch it as well.

Freddy dodge must cry a lot off scene.

I still get the feeling that Jack has been skimming off the top prior to weigh in.
I can't help but shake that feeling for a few years now.
"Let's pray" that he isn't.
Good grief.

I like watching the rest of the guys however.
It's entertaining.
They sure fix equipment in record time eh Ken?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-08-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
The Hoffman's and the Alaska Bush People should join forces. Education in the highest degree. Not!
Those Jack a's are terrible as well.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-08-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Wow! My thoughts exactly. And yes, still watching, mostly because I find the operations interesting, but some of the characters, too. (No need to script Tony -- he's a rare one). Everything the Hoffman crew says and does looks scripted. "Shut it down now!", they like to holler over the sound of a wash plant and a couple of excavators to guys wearing hearing protection. Duh.

But Tony is endlessly entertaining -- Minnie and the rest of the family, too -- and Parker just makes me laugh every week. (I can relate, because I started doing my own thing at 19 and had a lot of the same "warmth" and respect for everyone around me). He's got a lot to learn about people skills but I think he's an impressive kid.

My wife and I joke a lot about the old man and praying for gold, but we'll settle for good health in our golden years. But I do admit to praying there's another season of Highway Thru Hell, my other favorite on Discovery (I don't watch much else outside of baseball season).
Old 02-08-2017, 05:45 AM
Banned

agree Hoffman please go thank god for fast forward when he he comes on.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Todd is like Wylie coyote !!! Screws everything up and is merely there for peoples entertainment
Old 02-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
The most sickening thing is when Jack prays to the lord for them to find gold.
trying to lure the viewership in from the less educated trailer trash southern states. like bringing her into it will help.

if this was a pure documentary about gold digging id be all over it, differing styles procedures, etc etc. leave the docu-drama social stress, spirits and folklore out of it. lowered the value of the entire series.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-08-2017, 06:43 AM

Everytime they gather into their precious little prayer circle
and click their hard hats, it always means one thing to me,
'there they go again cursing themselves yet again for goldless harvests' !

I wonder if that guy got fired last night for sinking Parker's excavator?
Old 02-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Gone Fishing

How much do the Gold Rush cast make?
By looking at other reality shows with comparative viewership I estimate the crew of Gold Rush: Alaska makes about $2M per season or roughly $100K per episode. The rest of the $25K/episode or $500K/year is split between the rest of the cast. Of course they get to keep the gold they find.Mar 12, 2015

I found this by googling
Old 02-08-2017, 07:42 AM

satellite signal providers know which series have the most viewers and sell advertising spots according to these numbers. hint: next time you tune in, mentally isolate and pay attention to how background music is used liberally throughout these "reality" episodes. if the editors and producers dropped the emotion inspiring background music they would lose most of their viewers. the only discovery here is how so many people can be so easily hypnotized and entranced into watching empty content.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
How much do the Gold Rush cast make?
By looking at other reality shows with comparative viewership I estimate the crew of Gold Rush: Alaska makes about $2M per season or roughly $100K per episode. The rest of the $25K/episode or $500K/year is split between the rest of the cast. Of course they get to keep the gold they find.Mar 12, 2015

I found this by googling
Todd gets 400 thousand per season and has a net worth of 5 mill.

Mack
Old 02-08-2017, 09:03 AM

I watch the show. I enjoy gold panning and don't want to go off topic BUT...
I read all the controversy about ATV's rutting up some cutlines and then I see giant Cat's totally obliterating huge areas of the Yukon, not to mention the sensitive permafrost.
Last time I was up there we saw huge areas of abandoned claims piled up with junk and not a thought of any reclamation. Am I not understanding something....?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 AM

I have watched the show since it's 1st season and never miss an episode(PVR). I have never been involved in mining, but would love to give it a try someday. I find it very interesting and exciting. I'm sure it's not near what it appears to be on tv, but still keeps me thinking about it!

There's no way Hoffman is in it strictly for the money or he would be broke by now. Like others have stated, he is in it for the comical factor on the show!
Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 AM

Another thing they never talk about- I was told that 1/2 of the gold goes to the Government, the rest to the Claim Owner.
After expenses, how do they make a go of it without the camera's?
How much do you think never gets claimed?
I would bet that unless there is an armed guard there for every cleanout, a whole bunch of real heavy coffee cans make their way back home that were never accounted for.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:07 AM

I always liked Gold Rush, only catch a few episodes here and there now but Todd hasn't changed, big dreamer, big plans, big disasters and big ego. I can put up with the Hoffman crew stuff, i like watching the others chase gold. Reality tv, some real, some scripted, some WTF all mixed together. My uncle in BC has worked on crews that chase gold like this. He says the show does show the true side of getting it out of the ground. Would be fun to spend a summer being a grunt on a crew.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Banned

Watching the Hoffman crew is for educational purposes only. It teaches you what not to do. I get a kick out of jack. The old bugger digs where ever the hoe is sitting at the time. No rhyme or reason to it. I don't understand why any of them load the rock trucks from the back. Not very productive. I've always loaded over the side when possible and from the back forward.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Get rid of Todd......you gotta be frickin kidding me Frick.
I get a laugh from him cause he's exactly like some of the management I work for.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Watching the Hoffman crew is for educational purposes only. It teaches you what not to do. I get a kick out of jack. The old bugger digs where ever the hoe is sitting at the time. No rhyme or reason to it. I don't understand why any of them load the rock trucks from the back. Not very productive. I've always loaded over the side when possible and from the back forward.
"Educational purposes", I don't think so, more for entertainment. We can all pick holes in what is happening but then again, I can use the remote when Parker does his thing and I do.. There is always..As the world turns, for those who find this to much ..ha
Old 02-08-2017, 11:52 AM

This is why I like Yukon Gold way better. Karl Knutson, Big Al, Ken & Guillaume, Nika and Chris, all much more entertaining and bearable to watch in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
He says the show does show the true side of getting it out of the ground. Would be fun to spend a summer being a grunt on a crew.
I always think this too when I watch it, but my grandpa tells me about how he did the same thing a few decades back (ran a small six man crew in northern BC) and said it was mind numbingly boring some days. Spend 16 hours a day for months on end doing nothing but moving dirt from one pile to another gets old fast.

Still, for the amount of time I spent as a kid playing in the sand with mini excavator toys, I think I'd enjoy it.