Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Banned

If you are in pain and your quality of life is not good..why in the heck would you wait the 6 months for an MRI if your doc advised it. PAY the $600 to get it done the same week...
Old 02-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Cant imagine what is going on, what type of cancer did your friends wife have, any other circumstances. I dont know or have any experience in BC.

It is my opinion that many do not advocate for themselves well. Its not about screaming of being rude. I have a problem what are is the next step in figuring this out.
Why did your Aunt not go see a family doctor, hospitals deal with treatment and emergencys. A family doctor will investigate. To be fair not all family doctors are created equal and they also have other prioritys at times.
Most of these horror storys are mostly retold by people. Not many told first hand.

Here is one first Hand

I thought that sometimes my family doctor did not always listen or was dismissive at times. To be fair I rarely saw her and did not go in for regular check ups.
This past september I went to see her about some constipation and bloating that would not seem to pass. This was the 2nd week of September.
Sent me for blood work and a FIT test. 2 days after FIT test called by doctors office. I need to come in. Meet with DR. and told FIT test was positive. She wants ultrasound done, 2 days later I am getting ultrasound. Day after ultrasound, called again. Come in right away.
Told results are showings issues. She wants Colonoscopy and MRI they will call me with times. 5 days later office calls me, have appointments been booked. I reply yes Colonoscopy 2 weeks from now on thursday, have not heard from MRI. Told to stay by phone for 10 minutes.
They call back, colonoscopy moved up to 1 week from now on wednesday and MRI booked for Sunday, dont miss it.
Monday get a call from office, told to come in tuesday am no appointment she will see me when I arrive. Tuesday show and meet. Its Cancer they believe from the colon not sure yet, its a big deal stage 3-C. Metastasized to liver and peritoneal lining of my abdomen.
Family doctor goes away for holidays. Show up for colonoscopy.
Meet the doc doing procedure, he is the head of the colonoscopy clinic in calgary and tells me how much of a pain my Family doctor was in getting him to review the file, then tells me she was right in doing as he read the file. Confirmed tumor in colon. Get call from doctors office, doctor on holidays called in to set referral to Tom Baker herself. CT scan set up.
Booked for surgery to install port for Chemo 2nd week of Oct. The Chemo wrecks your veins, port the way to go. Let port heal 2 weeks and first Chemo Nov 1. I have had 6 treatments with Chemo NOT ONCE did I feel that they were not doing their best and nurses and admin, were always cheery and happy to help. They do an amazing job. Alberta Healthcare is NOT the mess and waste some make it out to be. Appointments are set fast and quick.
Status, doctors are excited at my response to the Chemo, results are better than expected and stage 3-C reduced to stage 2. Surgery was not an option going in. Too much Cancer to remove it all. As of yesterday, surgery back on the table. I was told my response to the Chemo was excellent and they want to do more and kick the Cancer while its going down, and then schedule surgery to do a liver resection, remove the tumor from the colon and clean up the peritoneal lining. Never a 100% cure but a positive outlook for me at this time.
So to sum up in a 4 week period, I met my Dr, had FIT test,ultrasound,MRI, Colonoscopy, CT scan and surgery to install port for Chemo and started Chemo at week 6. The health care system has its share of problems, but from my seat its the best. And I cannot thank my Family doctor enough for her persistence in getting this kicked off.

Sorry for the long post, I never shared this online but it sure feels good to get it out right now, especially with the good news I have gotten.

MAC
Good to hear MAC.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Cant imagine what is going on, what type of cancer did your friends wife have, any other circumstances. I dont know or have any experience in BC.

It is my opinion that many do not advocate for themselves well. Its not about screaming of being rude. I have a problem what are is the next step in figuring this out.
Why did your Aunt not go see a family doctor, hospitals deal with treatment and emergencys. A family doctor will investigate. To be fair not all family doctors are created equal and they also have other prioritys at times.
Most of these horror storys are mostly retold by people. Not many told first hand.

Here is one first Hand

I thought that sometimes my family doctor did not always listen or was dismissive at times. To be fair I rarely saw her and did not go in for regular check ups.
This past september I went to see her about some constipation and bloating that would not seem to pass. This was the 2nd week of September.
Sent me for blood work and a FIT test. 2 days after FIT test called by doctors office. I need to come in. Meet with DR. and told FIT test was positive. She wants ultrasound done, 2 days later I am getting ultrasound. Day after ultrasound, called again. Come in right away.
Told results are showings issues. She wants Colonoscopy and MRI they will call me with times. 5 days later office calls me, have appointments been booked. I reply yes Colonoscopy 2 weeks from now on thursday, have not heard from MRI. Told to stay by phone for 10 minutes.
They call back, colonoscopy moved up to 1 week from now on wednesday and MRI booked for Sunday, dont miss it.
Monday get a call from office, told to come in tuesday am no appointment she will see me when I arrive. Tuesday show and meet. Its Cancer they believe from the colon not sure yet, its a big deal stage 3-C. Metastasized to liver and peritoneal lining of my abdomen.
Family doctor goes away for holidays. Show up for colonoscopy.
Meet the doc doing procedure, he is the head of the colonoscopy clinic in calgary and tells me how much of a pain my Family doctor was in getting him to review the file, then tells me she was right in doing as he read the file. Confirmed tumor in colon. Get call from doctors office, doctor on holidays called in to set referral to Tom Baker herself. CT scan set up.
Booked for surgery to install port for Chemo 2nd week of Oct. The Chemo wrecks your veins, port the way to go. Let port heal 2 weeks and first Chemo Nov 1. I have had 6 treatments with Chemo NOT ONCE did I feel that they were not doing their best and nurses and admin, were always cheery and happy to help. They do an amazing job. Alberta Healthcare is NOT the mess and waste some make it out to be. Appointments are set fast and quick.
Status, doctors are excited at my response to the Chemo, results are better than expected and stage 3-C reduced to stage 2. Surgery was not an option going in. Too much Cancer to remove it all. As of yesterday, surgery back on the table. I was told my response to the Chemo was excellent and they want to do more and kick the Cancer while its going down, and then schedule surgery to do a liver resection, remove the tumor from the colon and clean up the peritoneal lining. Never a 100% cure but a positive outlook for me at this time.
So to sum up in a 4 week period, I met my Dr, had FIT test,ultrasound,MRI, Colonoscopy, CT scan and surgery to install port for Chemo and started Chemo at week 6. The health care system has its share of problems, but from my seat its the best. And I cannot thank my Family doctor enough for her persistence in getting this kicked off.

Sorry for the long post, I never shared this online but it sure feels good to get it out right now, especially with the good news I have gotten.

MAC
Good to hear you've gotten good news Mac!
Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
good to hear you've gotten good news mac!
x 1000.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Good to hear MAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Good to hear you've gotten good news Mac!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
x 1000.
Thanks to all
From a first hand experience the front-line staff are not the problem. If they have as little as some believe they pull off some miracles. I am sure there are issues up the line in management, the boards and government.
I do know that pain is typically not a consideration when booking MRI,and such. Life and death urgency will get you moved up.
I know this as it was what staff told my father at the pain clinic, when he was dealing with nerve damage. His pain was intense but no real threat to his life.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Injured my knee in August, requisition for MRI sent in Sept 9, called a couple weeks ago as I knew it would be a longish wait, June 19 is my appointment. Awesome, hurts to walk, wake up most nights in pain as it feels like a knife is stuck in the side of my knee. Ultrasound was almost positive for torn meniscus, but they want definitive with MRI. Such a joke really.
I have two experiences with similar injuries.

First right knee and shoulder going through the system in Edmonton. 16 months from the time of you have torn rotator cuff tendons and a torn knee meniscus / cartilage both needing surgery to getting the surgery done.

Jan 6 tore my left knee. Saw my doctor the following Monday and had a discussion on wait times. He recommended I pay for my own MRI and we could judge. MRI on the Weds, results on Thursday, recommendation for knee brace and surgery. He recommended I ether do the brace and see how it goes while at the same time I get on a list here or go to a private clinic. After the initial visit the prescription for the brace and follow up was all by e-mail. I did not have to make another office visit.

On the hospital side for significant issues I have had to go in twice with cardiac issues and I cannot say enough on how well I was treated and the information given to both me and my wife.

I did also go to the emergency with a torn bicep and expected that it would take time as this was not what I considered to be a serious injury. There was a bit of an issue with bleed out and I was handled very well with two follow up requirements.

I do like a system with options.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the long post, I never shared this online but it sure feels good to get it out right now, especially with the good news I have gotten. MAC
Good for you and great that your family doctor kept up the pressure. Hope this all turns out well for you with a full recovery. The big C can be beat.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:13 AM

http://www.thanksforcaring.ca/?page=...lposts#/page/1

Some folks that appreciate their health care.