Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 07:57 PM

Default wonderful healthcare:not!

So I have read on here how some people say we have pretty good health care here in Canada. How do you get on the list for receiving good health care? I phoned yesterday to see my doctor, "next available appointment is April 20". Well, waiting over 2 months to see my doctor seems a little excessive, so I ask if I can be put on a call list for openings, "we don't do that, but you are free to phone us for cancellations". Today I try and get on with a different doctor, "next available appointment is March 13". I don't see how this could be considered to be good health care. I was at one of those blood pressure machines last week, and the readings were showing a little high, so I thought maybe I should get it checked out. Guess a person has to sit down and start researching on their own to try and diagnose one's self, but I thought that is what we pay our doctors to do.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
So I have read on here how some people say we have pretty good health care here in Canada. How do you get on the list for receiving good health care? I phoned yesterday to see my doctor, "next available appointment is April 20". Well, waiting over 2 months to see my doctor seems a little excessive, so I ask if I can be put on a call list for openings, "we don't do that, but you are free to phone us for cancellations". Today I try and get on with a different doctor, "next available appointment is March 13". I don't see how this could be considered to be good health care. I was at one of those blood pressure machines last week, and the readings were showing a little high, so I thought maybe I should get it checked out. Guess a person has to sit down and start researching on their own to try and diagnose one's self, but I thought that is what we pay our doctors to do.
I can get an appointment the same day at my doctors clinic, usually 2 or 3 days and I get my pick of who I see.

Where are you based?

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Banned

As above...I called for an appointment for my annual checkup last Wednesday...got my appointment for last Friday...two day wait (in Edmonton).
Looks like the OP needs to shop around for a new doctor.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:19 PM

I don't think your issue is with the heath care system but with your doctor.

Mack
Old 02-07-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
As above...I called for an appointment for my annual checkup last Wednesday...got my appointment for last Friday...two day wait (in Edmonton).
Looks like the OP needs to shop around for a new doctor.
Lots of places, there isn't that option.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
Lots of places there is. Not often I can get in the same day but usually within a couple days. It sounds like a Dr situation not a health care one.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:21 AM

My wife has Crohns and one time when she had a blockage, her doctor could not get her in for surgery. He told her that if things don't turn around in a day or 2 then go to Emergency and only then could he get her surgery done quickly. Surgery was done as soon as blood work and xray stuff was completed.

Ever see someone that has a intestinal blockage ? She looked like she was 7 months pregnant. And was in unbearable pain.

She has Been waiting for almost a year to have surgery on her wrist because some dumb ass doctor didn't set it right the first time when she broke it.

Yup, our health care system works great. Not.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:20 AM

Our system is a joke, yes you don't have to pay for each visit, but the quality of the service is bad.

A friend's wife in vancouver got diagnosed with cancer last september, the doctor told her that treatment will start in april. Unhappy with the situation, they went in seatle to see another doctor, the treatment started the very same day.

It was even worst with one of my aunt. She was in pain and went to hospital in montreal weekly, every time they told her, without any test, go home it's just stomach flu. After 6 months she got angry at them and request to push the research further. When the result came out, cancer, but too late to start any treatment, she died 2 months after.

The problem with our system, is that they have a budget and must stay within, so they do the minimum.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 AM

We called our doctors office this morning to book an appt for my daughter...we got an appt for 10:45 this morning.

This was in Edmonton.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:16 AM

Default Doctors

In most cases, the number of doctors working within a community is enhanced by the town/city council. I know that in Brooks, the council worked very hard at recruiting the doctors from all over, to make sure that we had an adequate supply. Check with your local governing body if this is an ongoing crisis. The SQUEEKY WHEEL gets the grease!!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 AM

Called Monday am and got in to my Doc at 2:30pm the same day.

Got a requisition for bloodwork and went in as a walk-in to Glenmore Landing clinic yesterday at 2pm. Was out by 2:30pm.

My doctors office called at 9:00am today to book me in to discuss results.

But I am exceptionally fun, engaging and friendly.

Generally speaking-A call to Health Link and meeting some criteria will get you fast tracked to a doctor PDQ.

There is always a back door if you know where to look.

Last edited by omega50; 02-08-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I was at one of those blood pressure machines last week, and the readings were showing a little high, so I thought maybe I should get it checked out. Guess a person has to sit down and start researching on their own to try and diagnose one's self, but I thought that is what we pay our doctors to do.
I'm the last guy to defend our health care system, but maybe one of the problems is people without any symptoms get told by a junker machine, run by a layman and hasn't been calibrated in 5 years - that their blood pressure is high.

So they spend a few thousand dollars in our tax money to have a doctor say "You need more sleep, should try to cut out a bit of booze and try to exercise a little bit"
Old 02-08-2017, 10:10 AM

And what do you call "a little high" ? Blood pressure is constantly changing.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
And what do you call "a little high" ? Blood pressure is constantly changing.
When mine hit 225/140 at work they took it seriously
Old 02-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Lol, and so they should have !!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the replies. First off, I'm in southern Manitoba. Second, you can't just switch doctors out this way, if you get a family doctor, no matter how bad they are, you are stuck with them. I just wanted to know what kind of wait times you folks out west were having, you obviously don't know what our health care is like out here. I have a friend whose wife collapsed in the US while on vacation. She was admitted down there right away, in a few hours they had scanned her brain and found an abnormality, but said it didn't look to serious and she could travel home, and see her doctor asap. It was almost a month before our local doctors took her in to examine her, thank goodness it turned out to be nothing serious. I must say I am impressed with your system out there, and can understand why so many folks move west from here.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
My friend was telling me his wife's blood pressure couldn't be measured on the machine at one point because it only went up to 300. Thank goodness she was in Edmonton and they took great care of her and saved her. I fear what may have happened if she had to wait 2 months out here to see her doctor.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. First off, I'm in southern Manitoba. Second, you can't just switch doctors out this way, if you get a family doctor, no matter how bad they are, you are stuck with them. I just wanted to know what kind of wait times you folks out west were having, you obviously don't know what our health care is like out here. I have a friend whose wife collapsed in the US while on vacation. She was admitted down there right away, in a few hours they had scanned her brain and found an abnormality, but said it didn't look to serious and she could travel home, and see her doctor asap. It was almost a month before our local doctors took her in to examine her, thank goodness it turned out to be nothing serious. I must say I am impressed with your system out there, and can understand why so many folks move west from here.
Even in Alberta, small towns have always had problems getting enough doctors. When we lived in small towns we really noticed the difference. Wait times to see a doctor in Slave Lake can be quite long. Here in Edmonton I phoned mine yesterday morning at 9:30 and saw him at 2:20 same day. Made the appointment at the lab for blood work yesterday for 2:30 today, could have gone in yesterday if I had wanted to. Only suggestion is find your self a doctor in Winnipeg. You have to drive but you won't have to wait to see one. We kept a doctor in Edmonton when we lived in small towns for the same reason.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
It would appear by the responses that most people get in fairly quickly.
It's going to depend on your location of course...a small town with only one doctor may be an issue...though I have relatives in Drake, Sask with a population of 250...yet they get appointments with their doctor in Lanigan within a couple of days (a 15 minute drive).
Also how often you make use of your dr. come into play. The person who goes for their yearly exam and has a good relationship with their health care provider likely gets preferential treatment that the person who calls out of the blue every 4 or 5 years.
So much comes into play...but I've spent time in enough places on this planet that everytime I hear 'Canada's health care is becoming 3rd world'...well, go live in a 3rd world country and see what that is really like, you'll quickly rethink that opinion.
And it's a balance...there are definitely countries that have better health care...they also tend to have higher taxes...which I know from the comments here everyone is just dying to pay more of.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Smile If you were designing a health system?

Here are a few things that you will need to know, 93% of diseases that people get are self correctly, in other words "take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning" advice from the last century would cure 93% of the patients, of the remaining 7%, 3% are always lethal regardless of treatment. Now with the 4% left timely appropriate intervention makes a huge difference.

Now in poor dictatorships the politicians and the army get health services and that is it.

Now in our system it was basically started by Tommy Douglas and just paid for in hospital care. The next change came from the Report that Justice Rand wrote, The Health of Canadians, in the 1960s. If found the health wasn't very good so he made 5 recommendations: It had to be non profit, Prepaid, Universal, government operated, and really what this post is about accessible.

Accessible in a country the size of Canada hasn't been solved, as I read here not even close, here is an idea or two.

Manitoba has a very good medical school and not that far away, why doesn't your local Government approach the province and see if you can get some medical students to do "Practicums" in your town.
You could offer scholarships to medical students who will agree to practice in your community for 5 years after they graduate.

Canadians are always looking for ways to address this issue and as you have heard a number of creative solutions, give it a shot and tell us how you make out.

If this is more than you ever wanted to know about our health system I apologize
Old 02-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
Our system is a joke, yes you don't have to pay for each visit, but the quality of the service is bad.

A friend's wife in vancouver got diagnosed with cancer last september, the doctor told her that treatment will start in april. Unhappy with the situation, they went in seatle to see another doctor, the treatment started the very same day.

It was even worst with one of my aunt. She was in pain and went to hospital in montreal weekly, every time they told her, without any test, go home it's just stomach flu. After 6 months she got angry at them and request to push the research further. When the result came out, cancer, but too late to start any treatment, she died 2 months after.

The problem with our system, is that they have a budget and must stay within, so they do the minimum.

We all know of stuff like this happening to people. It has nothing to do with the budget, that would be a better excuse. The ugly truth is that they get paid the same whether they do what is expected of the job or whether they take shortcuts. Some of them want to get as much money for as little work as possible. Your family doctor who sees 50-60 patients a day is getting paid by the patient. That is why they will only spend five minutes with you, avoid ordering further investigations, and avoid reading about your medical history. Be an advocate for your health. Ask your doctor questions, get second opinions, get a new doctor if your doctor isn't working out.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Careful with the machines as they can be off. Do you have EMT"s or equivalent in Manitoba who can confirm. I was high last fall and got it down close to normal. Used a local machine last week and was 190 over 88 heart rate 52. Went to Dr and 140 over 85. Went back to the machine a few minutes later and was at 190 again. Next week I'll prob croak from something else. Reason I mention EMT as we have some great ones in our little burg.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post

Cant imagine what is going on, what type of cancer did your friends wife have, any other circumstances. I dont know or have any experience in BC.

It is my opinion that many do not advocate for themselves well. Its not about screaming of being rude. I have a problem what are is the next step in figuring this out.
Why did your Aunt not go see a family doctor, hospitals deal with treatment and emergencys. A family doctor will investigate. To be fair not all family doctors are created equal and they also have other prioritys at times.
Most of these horror storys are mostly retold by people. Not many told first hand.

Here is one first Hand

I thought that sometimes my family doctor did not always listen or was dismissive at times. To be fair I rarely saw her and did not go in for regular check ups.
This past september I went to see her about some constipation and bloating that would not seem to pass. This was the 2nd week of September.
Sent me for blood work and a FIT test. 2 days after FIT test called by doctors office. I need to come in. Meet with DR. and told FIT test was positive. She wants ultrasound done, 2 days later I am getting ultrasound. Day after ultrasound, called again. Come in right away.
Told results are showings issues. She wants Colonoscopy and MRI they will call me with times. 5 days later office calls me, have appointments been booked. I reply yes Colonoscopy 2 weeks from now on thursday, have not heard from MRI. Told to stay by phone for 10 minutes.
They call back, colonoscopy moved up to 1 week from now on wednesday and MRI booked for Sunday, dont miss it.
Monday get a call from office, told to come in tuesday am no appointment she will see me when I arrive. Tuesday show and meet. Its Cancer they believe from the colon not sure yet, its a big deal stage 3-C. Metastasized to liver and peritoneal lining of my abdomen.
Family doctor goes away for holidays. Show up for colonoscopy.
Meet the doc doing procedure, he is the head of the colonoscopy clinic in calgary and tells me how much of a pain my Family doctor was in getting him to review the file, then tells me she was right in doing as he read the file. Confirmed tumor in colon. Get call from doctors office, doctor on holidays called in to set referral to Tom Baker herself. CT scan set up.
Booked for surgery to install port for Chemo 2nd week of Oct. The Chemo wrecks your veins, port the way to go. Let port heal 2 weeks and first Chemo Nov 1. I have had 6 treatments with Chemo NOT ONCE did I feel that they were not doing their best and nurses and admin, were always cheery and happy to help. They do an amazing job. Alberta Healthcare is NOT the mess and waste some make it out to be. Appointments are set fast and quick.
Status, doctors are excited at my response to the Chemo, results are better than expected and stage 3-C reduced to stage 2. Surgery was not an option going in. Too much Cancer to remove it all. As of yesterday, surgery back on the table. I was told my response to the Chemo was excellent and they want to do more and kick the Cancer while its going down, and then schedule surgery to do a liver resection, remove the tumor from the colon and clean up the peritoneal lining. Never a 100% cure but a positive outlook for me at this time.
So to sum up in a 4 week period, I met my Dr, had FIT test,ultrasound,MRI, Colonoscopy, CT scan and surgery to install port for Chemo and started Chemo at week 6. The health care system has its share of problems, but from my seat its the best. And I cannot thank my Family doctor enough for her persistence in getting this kicked off.

Sorry for the long post, I never shared this online but it sure feels good to get it out right now, especially with the good news I have gotten.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 02-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Holy chit now that right there is scary. I am a diabetic II and have always had high blood pressure from a young age. I am now 58 and quit smoking, walk the dogs every morning, do some light exercise and now |I get 132/80 on a regular basis. I use to be 190/100 quit often.

So does not take much to get it under control, just needs to be consistent.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:36 PM

Injured my knee in August, requisition for MRI sent in Sept 9, called a couple weeks ago as I knew it would be a longish wait, June 19 is my appointment. Awesome, hurts to walk, wake up most nights in pain as it feels like a knife is stuck in the side of my knee. Ultrasound was almost positive for torn meniscus, but they want definitive with MRI. Such a joke really.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:11 PM

Waited six months for MRI results, and been waiting four months to get into the pain clinic and still font have an appointment
Old 02-08-2017, 02:12 PM

Its time we open up the debate about private healthcare providers in this country. The Canadian health system isn't sustainable if we dont fix it, and do it properly. And please don't tell me we can't have two tier healthcare here in Canada. We already have it, the rich go to the States and get any important procedures done if they need to. So why don't we open it up so that the majority of the middle class with health insurance or who are willing to pay can also have access to these procedures if they so choose, and take the burden off our public health system?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:43 PM

I live just west of Stony Plain and can get an appointment anytime within couple days and if need be go to a walkin clinic same day. I did live in Manitoba for years in Winnipeg,Lynn Lake, Thompson, Stonewall and Neepawa and could get into see my doctor at all those locations within a few days or sooner. Never a problem. Larger centers also have walkin clinics
Old 02-08-2017, 05:06 PM

I have zero complaints with our medical system, I've had a virtual retard as a Dr. but I just went to another one.

I contracted Lyme disease this past summer and I was diagnosed on my first visit, this is rarely the case. The speed at which I was diagnosed was the key to my successful treatment.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:31 PM

Nothing but DR. appointments , exams, and multiple tests I had this last 2 weeks . It all went flawless. My longest wait was 10 minutes anywhere.
If I don't like my Dr. or get a negative vibe, I find another one.