Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Permission The Proper Way

A buddy and I were drawn for a late season cow elk this year. I had quite a bit of permission from years past in the area we planned on hunting but i wanted to give us the best possible opportunity for filling our tags. so back in August, i started driving around, Knocking on doors, meeting new people, and gaining access in a large area in 214 & 314. 98% of the land owners I've met are great people, regardless of me getting hunting permission or not. After securing permission in the areas i know hold elk from previous year's hunts, i began December watching the herds and learning their routs. We noticed the routs tend to change from week to week, so decided to go knock on some doors in areas we had previously overlooked, most were welcoming. A few doors not answered but all in all i was satisfied with our areas. On opening day, we watched the herd head from an area we were denied permission and head back to their bedding area (of course). throughout the day, we slowly cruised around looking for crossings and talking to people in the area. I noticed a vehicle trailing us, so i pulled over to see what was up. The guy in the vehicle met us with a stern voice and an interrogation as to what we were up to. i answered polity, telling him we were looking for the herd of elk and that both of us had a cow draw, after 10 min of defending ourselves and apologizing for scaring anyone, he finally believed us and took off. He was saying people in the area were getting spooked out about seeing a truck driving around the last few weeks and some had even called the Cops .

The other night a guy pulled up to me as i was getting into my truck and told be he recognized the truck from posts on the internet. I have a gross feeling about people thinking we are up to no good when we are trying to the right thing, not jumping onto the internet to find permission or making random phone calls to land owners and expecting them to give permission to a stranger. I like to meet people face to face. I even got 100 cards printed with my Name, Phone #, Licence Plate #, Win# Drivers # and email, just to let them know they have all my info, and make sure they know exactly who to report if they suspect any fowl play.

I have heard of a lot of crime in rural areas lately and i understand, and appreciate people on the lookout. I grew up in a small, rural area but have never seen this kind of fear and distrust. Any suggestions on how to approach the people who are freaked out by a couple respectful guys wearing camo, knocking on doors?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:49 AM

get a big sign for the back window saying "Hunting in Progress Stay back 50 meters"
Should work
Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
get a big sign for the back window saying "Hunting in Progress Stay back 50 meters"
Should work
Haha, Might work. Just to clarify, I don't want to be considered a "Road Hunter". We spend more time sitting in the -20 + fields freezing our a**** of than driving around looking out windows. but Late season elk is a bit of a different game.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:57 AM

Honestly, Ditch the camo. I have found that alone to put people on edge from the moment they open the door. Other than that there is not much else to do unfortunately. Rural crime has sky rocketed and people are afraid. Unfortunate sign of the times. They see you as casing the area.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:07 AM

I've only had the camo on a couple of times lately, i prefer to do my scouting long before the season begins for exactly that reason. but I'm staring to think that wearing it shows I'm not an "intruder" scouting around and just a hunter. most people are willing to give permission to anyone who would keep the elk from eating their bails this time of year. but maybe not.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:17 AM

couple things i noticed last year. areas that I used to archery hunt 10 years ago were next to impossible to get permission on. this is within 1 hour of a major city. these owners are getting so many requests/stupid hunters out there that they are just getting sick of it. lots of gates at the approach so they don't have to deal with guys as well.

realistically, you need to be 2 hours(three is better) from any major centre to get the locals to be less paranoid of strangers. just the fact of how things are today.

Unfortunately that doesn't help you, as you probably know the area in 314/214 and would like to continue hunting there. As for me, i do not bother asking/looking for permission within 2 hours of any city for rifle. locals seem to have a better feeling towards archers, as they tend to be in lesser numbers, so its a bit better. may be time to look further from the city.

dont think there is anything more you can do. to bad, it really takes away from the experience when you are worried about every local wanting to rip you a new A.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 AM

I guess that's what it will come down to. but on the bright side, further away I'd would be less likely encounter people who hold draw tags on the road asking if I've "seen any Doe elk" - no joke..
Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 AM

I have had this similar experience south of Calgary while working. I contract for Fortis so when I am out in the field I do a lot of slow driving trying to follow the lines and going into peoples yards not knowing if they are home or not to check their transformers and what not. Have had someone pull me over on more then one occasion to see what I was doing (no Fortis truck as Im a contractor). There are a lot of breakins out that way where people just wait for the homeowners to leave for work for the day and them help themselves as they know noone will be back until end of the work day or so Ive been told people stopping me. They are mainly just curious as to why you are driving around looking in everyones yards/fields. Could easily be looking for the next place to rip off.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM

Take a picture of your truck, give/email it to someone who gave you permission, and ask them to post it to the neighbors.
Rural property owners can always quickly identify friend or foe by vehicle make and color.
You've given your name and cell number but promote a little harder that everyone can to call your cell if they think it's you driving around.
The more open communication there is, the better.
Promote yourself as a Neighborhood Watch person while doing it too.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:58 AM

That's good advice. On the card I hand out, I also have included vehicle make and color. all of the land owners comment on how much they like that idea.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:12 AM

I like that too...it's a great idea.
Picture always helps too, maybe even a picture of you and whoever is hunting with you.
Do whatever it takes to make it easy for the landowner to be informed and at ease.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:39 AM

One of the previous posters hit the nail on the head, rural crime is way up, exponentially. A strange vehicle drives down our road and the phone starts ringing, literally. Doesn't make it any easier for you,

-Craig
Old 01-09-2017, 12:03 PM

There is a ton of crime in those zones. Has been for at least a decade. Places get hit over and over and it's one of the worst feelings knowing those low life's have broken in to your place. Guaranteed that books are judged by their cover. If you look like a homeless person or someone wanted from police, that will go against you. I know they don't all look the same but use your imagination on what I mean by that.
Slow driving vehicles can be irritating and suspicious. I'd recommend leaving the slow driving for after you've locked up the permission.
If there is a quarter section or smaller and a riding arena / horses and no other livestock, I'd be prepared for a no just to be ready for how conversation may go
Good luck. Most of the elk out there are appreciated. Hunting is valued too but it's not like some areas where 150 elk come in and destroy a haystack and people want them killed off completely.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 PM

I have just as much respect for those who say no as I do for those who say yes. I don't think i look like a low life, but maybe that's just my imagination!
Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
One of the previous posters hit the nail on the head, rural crime is way up, exponentially. A strange vehicle drives down our road and the phone starts ringing, literally. Doesn't make it any easier for you,

-Craig
This^^^
Living rural, I either approach and see whats going on, and/or call the cops. Downtime in economy makes people do stupid things. Sucks for us hunters but I'm tired of the break in crap going on.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:24 PM

It's sad for sure. I've heard some pretty crazy stories over the last few years, and the RC's aint' doin anything about it. Just makes a guy feel pretty crappy that people assume im up to no good. But as the great Ronnie Reagan said, "trust but verify". so I do understand.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@G View Post
I have just as much respect for those who say no as I do for those who say yes. I don't think i look like a low life, but maybe that's just my imagination!
If you're even considering your appearance you're probably good
I came back to edit my post because I realized it may have sounded harsh. But I'll reply instead. ...
You're obviously doing a ton of things right. Just trying to help you to make your efforts fruitful. I can't share where I go as I want to keep going there with as few people as possible haha. Good chance if you've found elk and have permission then we'll see each other eventually.
I think if you keep an eye out for other vehicles doing the slow patrol and talk to them it would help with identifying those who have no business out there. Seriously. There is a ton of theft and B&E out there
Old 01-09-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@G View Post
It's sad for sure. I've heard some pretty crazy stories over the last few years, and the RC's aint' doin anything about it. Just makes a guy feel pretty crappy that people assume im up to no good. But as the great Ronnie Reagan said, "trust but verify". so I do understand.
I disagree. The police are doing what they can. It's the lax laws that create the lack of concern and revolving doors. The RCMP followed up on my complaint, even went as far as trying to get fingerprints. These occurrences are much too common and there's not much of a deterrent unfortunatley.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
The police are doing what they can. It's the lax laws that create the lack of concern and revolving doors
Absolutely. Nation wide warrant and the guy finally gets caught on his third entry to our place. Arm's length list of charges. 5 years in prison. He's already out. Looking at him, even the most accepting person would judge him by his appearance and their heebie jeebies they felt in his presence. Haha.
Not sure what the solution is but if someone "protected their family" from someone like this entering their home, I'd have a tough time telling them they did the wrong thing. There simply are some nasty people out there. Not very common any of them ever change their ways.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:12 PM

your card idea wth your info on it is a great idea
as well picture of yer vehicle is even one step further I
think with you permission I'll adopt that idea as well
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-09-2017, 03:17 PM

I find having a youth hunter along helps when asking permission. It also provides an opportunity to show them how to respect landowners and have civil discussions with a wide range of people.

I understand that not everyone will have a youth to bring along with them, but for those that do...

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-09-2017, 04:16 PM

I love your idea of the information card, I know around my in laws area they would love that someone took the extra initiative.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:38 PM

After reading all the comments one thing became apparent. Nobody had offered any compinsation of any form to the land owners. What does the land owner get out of all this other than liability risks.Maybe put the shoe on the other foot and ask yourself what you would require to let a stranger hunt your property. If your honest with yourself you will see what your doing wrong and what you should be doing
Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM

The post was never about having trouble getting permission. I have plenty of spots and good relationships with the land owners. I help most of them out in lots of ways and it's because they're good people, not cuz they require reimbursement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 05:08 PM

Im just saying that the freaked out landowners would feel more at ease if in part of the conversation reinbersment was mentioed. That will help seperate you from crooks and poachers as this is not in their vocabulary. Again put yourself in their shoes. I am one of those land owners
Old 01-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITIEY View Post
Im just saying that the freaked out landowners would feel more at ease if in part of the conversation reinbersment was mentioed. That will help seperate you from crooks and poachers
You have it completely backwards. Paying for access makes you a crook and a poacher, it doesn't distinguish you from them.

Alberta Wildlife Act Section 49(1):
"No person shall directly or indirectly buy or sell, trade or
barter or offer to buy or sell access to any land for the purpose of
hunting any big game or any fur-bearing animals on any land."

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/W10.pdf
Old 01-09-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Honestly, Ditch the camo. I have found that alone to put people on edge from the moment they open the door. Other than that there is not much else to do unfortunately. Rural crime has sky rocketed and people are afraid. Unfortunate sign of the times. They see you as casing the area.

ditch the camo really i don't think so

Quote:
Rural crime has sky rocketed and people are afraid.
so i am guessing camo has something to do with it
Old 01-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITIEY View Post
Im just saying that the freaked out landowners would feel more at ease if in part of the conversation reinbersment was mentioed. That will help seperate you from crooks and poachers as this is not in their vocabulary. Again put yourself in their shoes. I am one of those land owners
it will also promotedpaid hunting
if that were the course it would be the beginning of the end of hunting in Alberta
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-09-2017, 08:51 PM

I didn't want to get into that but thanks diesel and last minute. And to add to both of those great points: offering any kind of reimbursement wouldn't have been possible as the people who assumed I was up to no good, had never talked to me. Even if a person denies me access, I give them a card for future reference. I wouldn't have been able to offer any pay of any sort without talking to them first. Even though that's not how I operate.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
You have it completely backwards. Paying for access makes you a crook and a poacher, it doesn't distinguish you from them.

Alberta Wildlife Act Section 49(1):

"No person shall directly or indirectly buy or sell, trade or

barter or offer to buy or sell access to any land for the purpose of

hunting any big game or any fur-bearing animals on any land."

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/W10.pdf

Thanks for digging up something we have all (or should have all) read