Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Banned

Default Full Moon and Snares

I was out rebaiting today and with the recent "Super Moon" I began to wonder what effect it'd have on snaring. I never really paid any attention to it but it makes sense that the snares would be easier to spot particularly if they are not well blended into the undergrowth. Has anyone noticed a change in their catches when the moon is full?
Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I was out rebaiting today and with the recent "Super Moon" I began to wonder what effect it'd have on snaring. I never really paid any attention to it but it makes sense that the snares would be easier to spot particularly if they are not well blended into the undergrowth. Has anyone noticed a change in their catches when the moon is full?
Last year mine took a big drop in full moon week , especially with snow on the ground .
Old 11-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Last year mine took a big drop in full moon week , especially with snow on the ground .
Would that have been the last two weeks of December? I had a real dry spell about that time last year.

Just checked. Interesting stuff.

https://www.calendar-12.com/moon_calendar/2015/december
Old 11-18-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Would that have been the last two weeks of December? I had a real dry spell about that time last year.

Just checked. Interesting stuff.

https://www.calendar-12.com/moon_calendar/2015/december
That was it ,
Old 11-18-2016, 09:37 AM

Down here in the southern part of the province we often snare where there isn't much cover to hide the snare, full moon does have a negative effect and when you add snow to a full moon my catch rates fall and refusels increase. Maybe the more savvy snare men have methods that help them stay in the game during a full moon.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:19 AM

Looking through my journals comparing to this year it seems I have always seen a big drop in catch during the third quarter week. My highest catch rates are definitely during the new moon week.

I set one bait on the 18th (full moon quarter) caught one coyote the 21st (first day of the third quarter) then nothing for a week. New moon starts tomorrow so I will report back in a few days with findings. I was never really much for watching the moon cycles but this year with the steady warm weather and no real fronts rolling through I thought it was the perfect storm to track the moon.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Banned

Catch rates have been great during December for me. Full moon tonight. Let's see if that effects anything.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:25 PM

Had a good check today, had cloudy nights here lately thus helping with full moon brightness and of course the cold has been really helpful.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:20 PM
AO Sponsor

Super Moon + AC Virus = True Disaster
Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
You must be working with the Russians.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
OOOOHHH .. The AC virus raises its evil head once again ..
Old 12-14-2016, 06:47 PM
AO Sponsor

That is right friend... You are screwed
Old 12-14-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
That is right friend... You are screwed
looks like it will start to get better last 2 weeks of Dec IMO
Old 12-14-2016, 10:51 PM

Had my best check in a while today. 5 coyotes on two baits. By the looks of the tracks today they were sure moving. 2 at the one bait must have just been caught, not froze in the slightest would have for sure been during daylight.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:14 PM

Been slow for me the last week picked up 7 today. One positive is in the last 40 I have barely lost any to mites and mange.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:12 PM

Got lucky today and caught 5 , one set the dog was dead and snare cable broke at extension .. guess I got REAL lucky .
Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 PM
AO Sponsor

I think it's a Super Moon again Dave, so now what?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was going to take advantage of this milder weather and hang a bunch of snares tomorrow but I just might as well stay home and watch Opra and play radio bingo I guess.

I was thinking of setting in deep cover between north and south trees so my snares would always be in a shadow. Not sure if that might work.

Last edited by HunterDave; 01-12-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Moonlight dilemna causing coyote snaring success or failure ? WOW
ridiculous thoughts like this coming from people with too much time on their hands - what next -
Old 01-13-2017, 10:42 AM
Gone Hunting

The only thing I noticed when the moon was full was I had more trouble with werewolves springing my snares and more gargoyles in my rabbit snares.
Seems gargoyles like the taste of rabbit.

Okay okay I'll be serious! LOL

I liked it when the moon was full. The animals were always way more active especially if it was clear at night.
But I honestly never kept track of what I caught on any particular day.
All I can say with confidence is that when the moon was full I would see more tracks during the day and that I loved to go for walks under the full moon.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-13-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
there are tears coming out of my eyes from laughing....bwhaahaha.

Thanks for the chuckle

I think we tend to overthink this snaring stuff sometimes.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:30 PM

I've even heard of guys going so far as removing their snares during the full moon so they wouldn't educate they coyotes
Old 01-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Banned

I picked up a can of Moonbeam Duller at Halford's today and sprayed my snares down before hanging them. It has a nice blue tint to it, a colour that I heard coyotes can't see, so it sounds promising. Just in case the product doesn't work as advertised, I made a canopy out of spruce bows over each set. I've done everything that I can think of......anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
I've even heard of guys going so far as removing their snares during the full moon so they wouldn't educate they coyotes
That was my train of thought when I started the thread on November 17. After pre baiting I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait a few days so the moon wasn't as bright before hanging my snares. I ended up waiting a couple of days and hung my first snares on November 19 when it became overcast. I have no idea if it made a difference but I didn't have any issues with refusals.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I picked up a can of Moonbeam Duller at Halford's today and sprayed my snares down before hanging them. It has a nice blue tint to it, a colour that I heard coyotes can't see, so it sounds promising. Just in case the product doesn't work as advertised, I made a canopy out of spruce bows over each set. I've done everything that I can think of......anyone have any other suggestions?
Maybe if you put a box of sunglasses out marked free they'll get so excited about free sunglasses they won't consider that they can't see very well.

I don't understand why you would out such small effort in only shading individual snares. It will make it even more obvious. Clearly the whole bush should be tarped to provide a consistent light level.

Another consideration might be a flashing light, the mixture of light and dark will prevent their pupils from dilating fast enough to see adequately. Considering breeding season is nearly upon us it may also lure some of those bachelor coyotes in, it seems to work on humans. Rotten beaver makes a good lure for this set.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:59 PM

Default S moon

Shoulda closed necklaces up last week. I knew better but thaught it will b ok. No ,,gave away all my spots they won't go near it Move snares. Puppies start dying again. Yes.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Do you guys boil your snares in lye befor using them?

I'm wondering why Coyotes would spot your snares in the moonlight.

And I'm wondering if they can spot them in the moonlight, wouldn't it be ten times worse in the daylight? How can one be sure they aren't spotting them in the daylight instead?

That is why I always boiled my snares in lye. So they wouldn't be spotted in full sunlight.

I've heard of people painting their snares white to make them harder to see and aside from possible paint smell issues that makes a lot of sense to me, but where I snared a dull finish was sufficient.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-20-2017, 05:15 PM

Baking soda for me Keg. Next year I may try doing some with dye and wax.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:31 PM

Keg , I've painted snares white and tan as well as some with just baking soda. For me I won't paint any more white , yes they work great when the snow is around but unless you plan on changing them out after the recent chinook we had , you just as well have lights on them The white ones stand out real bad now . I like the tan colored ones better than just baking soda because soda ones still have a bit of shine to them . A ll tan next year with maybe a splash of gray thrown in to break up the circle. I talked with the guy from Dakotaline and he says even tho the dye works good to cover , don't use it on 1/16 snares as it has a tendency to gum the locks .
Old 01-20-2017, 06:08 PM

To obtain a neutral bush colouring, and snare which closes as well or better than untreated cable, I just do a quick boil with baking soda to remove excessive lubricant and shine. Then a quick boil and overnight soak in a light logwood crystal solution to obtain a twig/bark colouring look which blends in very well to background bush. By quick boil I mean about 4-5 minutes. I believe many tree bark solutions would probably work as well as the logwood. See a previous post of mine on snare treatment for pictures as I am currently unable to post from photo bucket for some unknown reason,

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message