Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 PM
bears

Default bears

Hi Guys,
I am new to bear hunting and have a question. I am am planning on using oats, popcorn and some other sweet stuff. I just bought 2 barrells with the lids on. How big should I make the hole?

Also, what is everyones recomendations for wall tent size. 10x12? 12x14?
Could be anywhere from 2 to 4 guys.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 PM
61A

If you are using what you had mentioned and you are planning to put it in the barrel I would make my hole NO bigger than 1 inch. I would also suggest chaining the barrel to a very thick tree, and make sure there is about 4 feet of play for the bears to move the barrel around, to let them work at getting the food out.

You do not want the bears comming in and grabbing a mouthfull, and moving into the timber to eat. What you want is to have the bears hanging around concentrating on getting out the food. THUS giving you plenty of time to judge your bears, and plenty of time to make your shot.
I hope this helps you out. Feel free to PM me or Katts69, ( my hunting partner) we can help you out with what ever you need.

And as for your tent question, the bigger the better, you want comfort, and room to move around with the 4 of yall. And it is also nice to be able to set up a table when it is just the two of you. Katts can help you out with both the Tent, and the Stove.

G-len
Old 03-27-2007, 05:10 PM
sheep hunter

61A is right...keep the hole small so the bears really have to work at getting food out. It keeps them around longer plus it prevents them from cleaning out your barrels too fast.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:23 PM
shotgun

I am sure that everybody has a recipe of their own but I would love to hear some ingredients that guys use in their baits.

I have even heard of guys using propane as an attractant.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM
donthaveaclue

Default bears

I like using oats, and meat scraps, mixed with cooking oil or molasses, and dog food. It also looks like I'll have some beaver carcasses this year from a friend.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Cowboy Al

Beaver to start the baits off. One hanging from a tree for scent dispersal one diced up in the barrel. In the barrel goes old freezer burnt meat, beaver chunks, anise, liquid smoke and lots and lots of popcorn. The bears love it....once the bait is established just popcorn and liquid smoke in the barrel that is more than enough to keeep em coming back.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 AM
bear baits

Default bear baits

How about some pics of some bait sited? I know some of you guys must have some.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 AM
bears

Default bears

The area I hunt in there are a few other baits so I like to feed the hell out of the bears. I have one barel filled with oats and grease with small holes in them with the barel chained to a tree and I have another barel full of the same stuff but I have no lid on it. I also have a beaver cage stuffed full of beavers and meat which is also chained to a tree. When I hunt my bait I always tie a bever up in a tree and wrap it really good. This will allow you to wait for the perfect shot. Feeding the hell out of the bears works for me because I live only a few miles away from my baits, and it gives the bears no reason to leave.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Cowboy Al

Heres a view from one of my stands (26 yards away):

One other thing I forgot to mention a couple of pails of deep fryer grease on the ground around the bait to start it helps too.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:45 AM
shotgun

great tips. I have never baited before and I am hoping to do it this year.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 AM
7 REM MAG

with the propane do you just wait till the bear is right beside the 40lbs bottle and shoot the bottle :rollin lol
Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 AM
rackaddict

Default re:bear bait

Thought I'd mention that a feind of mine from the Coast used cans of sardines nailed to trees along a game trail to attract racoons to a tree stand. This ended up bringing in bears to the stand also(which I know isnt legal in B.C.) but i thought it might be worth a try here in A.B.Good luck on your Hunt Scouter.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:23 AM
luv 2 hunt

Default Re: re:bear bait

have tried this works well ,just dont get any juice on your stand from your hands or gloves,really close encounters. i use popcorn with butter and sugar,then pour molasses on topped with artifical vanilla extract,they really love vanilla.good luck and happy huntin
Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM
shotgun

Yes that way you can fill two tags at once but it makes for bad rug....

No I have heard guys will take a propane bottle and let it seep gas and the odourant in the gas (rotten egg smell) attracts them.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:10 PM
61A

Here is a picture of one of our sites, and our goodies.

And here is a method we use to deturmine the size of our bears in our site.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:43 PM
packhuntr

Default Re:bear bait

Lookin at these pics has me fired. Trying a spot-stalker this year. But man, sure am gonna miss my stands.